Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,248,856 times

Advertisements

I'm 29, and I have never cooked a Thanksgiving meal. My Thanksgiving growing up, consists of picking up the phone, making reservations at a Chinese restuarant and eating Peking Duck (think of A Christmas Story but deliberate). Seriously.

This year, my in-laws are coming for Thanksgiving. I have already revealed my inadequacies and they have been really nice about it. They are also willing to help - thank goodness.

I would like to see what some of everybody's "staple" items are on their Thanksgiving meal. Casserole, green beans, mashpotatoes or something a little more exotic? I'd love to read about it! Maybe I can contribute some good ideas instead of having MIL do all the work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 11:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
heh
Rent "Pieces of April" for the angst and "What's Cooking" for the humor.

Well, we roast a turkey. We had good luck with brining and I am going to do that again this year.

We always have to have mashed potatoes, with real butter and cream and freshly snipped chives.

We always have to have cranberry sauce (homemade is nice) and my husband always has to have some sort of godawful sweet potato concoction.

We don't always have green beans, but sometimes we do.
We always have Caesar salad. This year I was going to try a roasted beet/goat cheese recipe.

I always bake pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and can share the recipe (and any others) if you're interested (it's easy.)

Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 AM

"godawful sweet potatoe concoction" <--- seems to be a staple on everybody's T-giving menu!

Ooooh, the muffin sounds GREA cil! If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to see it! That could be something to bake in the morning for breakfast and munch on during the day if need be!

thanks for sharing!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,415,846 times
Roast turkey, stuffing, home made cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes are the staples of my meal. I am not sure why people love canned cranberry sauce so much, but I didn't grow up with it so maybe I don't have the taste for it. The home made stuff is so easy. Dump cranberries and sugar in boiling water, boil for a bit, then cool. That's it. The recipe is on the back of the fresh cranberry packages.

I also didn't grow up with green bean casserole or sweet potatoes covered in marshmallow goo so I am not a fan of either of those things, especially that awful green bean casserole. I know those who grew up with it love it, but it just tastes like a hot salty mess to me. Canned cream of whatever soup, green beans, with shelf stable fried onions. Yick.

Besides what I mentioned, the vegetables are usually different every year. Oh, and for dessert pumpkin pie and apple pie are always on my menu.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,941,834 times
Um....stuffing (or dressing if you prefer!!)

That is my favorite thing at Thanksgiving. Easy apps would be a veggie or relish tray, nuts, olives, shrimp cocktail.....

Lots of red and white wine

Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Roast Turkey
Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Corn
Cranberry (god knows why)
Red Cabbabe....and I wonder why I stay married to this man.
Fresh rolls
Real Mashed potatoes
Some kind of Fruit dish

Desert-Pumpkin and Apple Pie.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:20 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
In laws at Thanksgiving? I'm sorry. Want to feel better about this? My first married Thanksgiving I cooked the turkey with the plastic bag still inside with the gizzard and other "parts". Don't do this. We're divorced now.

Our usual (boring) menu:

Turkey
Prime Rib
Green Bean Casserole
Corn Souffle
Mashed Potatoes
Jello Fruit concoction (don't get me started on this )
Fresh Spinach Salad with craisins, red onion, strawberries and homemade dressing (to die for)
Stuffing from a pyrex, NOT the turkey (ewwww)
Yeast Rolls (omg, I could eat my weight in these)
Deviled Eggs
and sometimes Mac and Cheese for the kids

Desserts that never seem to get eaten as we are in a stupor after eating.

Nemo - my grandmother, God rest her soul, always served the nasty cranberry from the can slid out onto a glass tray. There it sat in all its' blobness with the can rings around it, never to be eaten. Year after year after year.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 PM

Believe it or not, I actually get along with my in-laws - both sets (hubby's parents are divorced). Weird huh? You know, I didn't even know there was 'stuff' in the turkey until recently so yes, I would've made the same mistake!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:26 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
In laws at Thanksgiving? I'm sorry. Want to feel better about this? My first married Thanksgiving I cooked the turkey with the plastic bag still inside with the gizzard and other "parts". Don't do this. We're divorced now.

Our usual (boring) menu:

Turkey
Prime Rib
Green Bean Casserole
Corn Souffle
Mashed Potatoes
Jello Fruit concoction (don't get me started on this )
Fresh Spinach Salad with craisins, red onion, strawberries and homemade dressing (to die for)
Stuffing from a pyrex, NOT the turkey (ewwww)
Yeast Rolls (omg, I could eat my weight in these)
Deviled Eggs
and sometimes Mac and Cheese for the kids

Desserts that never seem to get eaten as we are in a stupor after eating.

Nemo - my grandmother, God rest her soul, always served the nasty cranberry from the can slid out onto a glass tray. There it sat in all its' blobness with the can rings around it, never to be eaten. Year after year after year.
That's what happens here too!!! The only reason it even gets put out is cuz only two people swear by it. uggggg I don't like cranberries and I don't care who's mamma makes it anyway!! lol

Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,115 times
I have never tasted the yam and marshmallow thing- it sounds gross. (Same for the green bean casserole with the deep fried onions on it..gag..)

We usually have:

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
(fresh or frozen) peas
turnip
squash
Cranberry Sauce (jellied, from the can.. I love it. )
bread and butter pickles
sweet mixed pickles
yeast rolls
a few other vegetables I can't think of right now
baked onions, pickled beets (just for my mother and brother-in-law, though..)
sometimes a chunky apple-sauce dish that is delicious in it's own cinnamon and nutmeg way.

Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie (My mother makes a very good one- we always have it at family gatherings)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink