Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times

Advertisements

I see a lot more soups and stews and one-dish dinners mentioned lately. Is it the weather change? Is it the economy? For us, it's a little of both.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:39 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
No heat on yet, but did turn on the gas fireplace to take the chill off a few times. It has been in the low 30's several mornings.
I am still running the AC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The trouble might be that I don't follow directions well....I tend to be more creative and that can cause trouble. I did learn to crochet once and made a lot of afgans.....mostly random patterns but they came out square and warm.
I tried to crochet once. Bought all the yarn etc.....OMG it was so funny, apparently I had no clue what I was doing since the yarn got so "tight" I could hardly get the needle out. I would love to learn correctly though, as I am a "blanket" type of person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
We had the crab and corn chowder last night with some friends, along with grilled chicken breasts and oven roasted potatoes tossed in pesto. So good!!!
I bet that was wonderful! Send me some leftovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Okay feedback just in-young couple, 2 children, twins on the way-have looked at 22 homes, loved ours and the flow, no contingency. Hopefully will hear more.
Good Luck!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
Charley I know I am anticipating the cooler temps so I can start with my stews, chili's, and soups. DH won't eat them during warm weather and I am starving for some great comfort smelling stews and soups simmering all day long on the stove.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I see a lot more soups and stews and one-dish dinners mentioned lately. Is it the weather change? Is it the economy? For us, it's a little of both.
For me it is both. One, although the weather doesn't really reflect it outside, it is fall. Fall means soup.

Two, we still haven't restocked from pre-hurricane so I have been trying to stretch our food dollar and soups and stews do that really well.

Three, trying to reduce our grocery bill for a family of five. I have been trying to add some meals into our routine that aren't meat based. So once or twice every few weeks I will make a lentil or bean soup or dish.

Four, variety is the spice of life.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Variety is definitely the spice of life ... but we are watching our budget very closely. Anything we can do to drive down costs of food and utilities is something we will consider strongly. We have a goal of being in our Delaware dream home by Summer 2013 and we worried about the value of our current home. So I'm spending a little time each day doing many repairs and updates myself to have it ready for sale (hopefully the market is back by then) and watching our pennies when shopping for food and other items. Some of the recipes here are marvelous - and I'll be watching for economical soups, stews, chilis, etc.

There won't be many truffles or a lot of saffron in anything we're making for a while.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Quote:
There won't be many truffles or a lot of saffron in anything we're making for a while.
I hear you there. I stopped making a lot of dishes I loved that required a lot of expensive ingredients. I have definitely gone back to simple food.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 10-06-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: can't spell worth a darn today.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
Charley usually I always keep a pot of soup on my stove. They are so easy and so economic and in my house everyone is welcome to a cup or two. My kids may be grown and gone but they are always here with a spoon.......LOL
I guess it is a Mom thing.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
I AM COLD CHARLEY!!!! MY BONES NEED WARMIN'!!!! LOL

the only way to do it sometimes is with a good old fashioned bowl of hot soup... and that soup is low in wt watchers points... that is a plus for hubby. SO it is soup for dinner.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
I guess being a military wife for many years I learned to cook frugally and that meant lots of soups, stews, pasta dishes and I've just carried it with me.

Weather has a lot to do with it especially out here-the need for comfort food is intensified. Guess that (and missing family) led me to put on 30 lbs in 3 yrs here!! But I'm almost back to fighting weight!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
But I'm almost back to fighting weight!!!!
Good for you... that is tough... I hate dieting... I think that word should be banned from the ENGLISH language...LOL... I gained so much wt with my two kids I lost 100lbs between the two pregnancies in three years... I have dieted so much that I think it is a form or torture... (but I am back to my fighting wt too )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink