Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 05:03 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times

Advertisements

Applesauce turned out perfect! So good and so easy too. Only made a small batch to make sure I could do it right this time! I didn't need another goof-up like I had with the cobbler! I'm sure the cobbler is a great recipe and I just did something wrong. Now when I do the rest of the applesauce I can freeze it for future meals!! Thanks crazyworld! No ideas yet for dinner tonight--will get back at a later time! Good morning to all!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:57 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
Good Morning everyone......................

Your welcome Cyn....Glad you liked it.

Tonight's dinner??? Too early to think but tonight is weigh in (which I am not expecting anything after last week). We'll see but I'll be looking for ideas all day.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Tonight will be a roasted breast of turkey.....since I have started a "diet" or "a new way of eating for the rest of my life"....I am trying to get off to a good start. The turkey will provide several meals of low cal low fat white meat....I will always have white rice for my Dear Partner...but also two vegetables so I can eat my fill ..... until I get used to this...I need to feel full!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Tonight will be a roasted breast of turkey.....since I have started a "diet" or "a new way of eating for the rest of my life"....I am trying to get off to a good start. The turkey will provide several meals of low cal low fat white meat....I will always have white rice for my Dear Partner...but also two vegetables so I can eat my fill ..... until I get used to this...I need to feel full!
Good luck to you, Elston; what you're doing isn't easy (says the person whose size has gone up and down like an elevator for most of her life....)

One thing that I find helps a lot is to plan for regular low-cal snacks throughout the day. Otherwise, I'm so hungry when I finally do sit down to a meal that all my wonderful intentions go right out the window. Some snacky-type things that work well for me include non-fat sugar-free yogurt. I usually go for plain, then either add fruit (pineapple chunks in their own juice works well, as does fresh fruit with Equal and a sprinkle of cinnamon) or else a spicing mixture that makes it like a veggie dip. I munch on fresh cut-up vegetables off and on all day. My spouse enjoys kefir, which is a lot like drinkable yogurt, though be wary of the flavored varieties that have loads of sugar. Our daughter likes plain rice cakes, which taste to me like styrofoam but she likes them. Some fresh fruit is a good addition, too. And water, drink plenty of water throughout the day. A big glass 5 or 10 minutes before you sit down to a meal will help you feel full more quickly.

Best wishes, good friend! You and Lacey and everyone else are inspiring me to join you; I just may have to dust off the WW materials and start back again. Keep us posted on how you do!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Elston, what MWBW said is true! I eat all day long but not big meals. I feel hungry all the time it seems so I munch but I munch on good healthy things (well, usually). I keep plenty of fruit and fresh raw veggies around. For lunch I might cook some broccoli for myself and just have that. If you eat throughout the day you are not in need of that big meal plus you use up those calories throughout the day. My weight has been up some and down some but I normally stay pretty thin. I do not drink any kind of soda pop. Sweets are only occasionally, and I've cut down our use of butter in half. We don't use anything but butter but I use to use way to much and found out that it was unecesssary. Don't let yourself get to that starving stage as it will only make you miserable and your body will stop burning the calories because it will think you "are" starving and it try to preserve what you have left. Just cut back portions and eat things that will fill you but not fatten you! This isn't anything scientific it's just the way I eat and live--well usually! Ha! We are all here behind you every step of the way!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. I am optimistic...but also pre-occupied with food and talking or writing about food. Sorry.....I will get over that phase I think. In the past I had success on the South Beach Diet and on very strict calorie counting.....this time I am not going those routes but borrowing some of the thngs I learned on those diets.....I really want to change my eating habits more than go on a diet.....but I also want an initial "big bang" for the effort....so will be very strict with myself for at least the first week....and then ease into something that isnt so deprivation centered.

Last edited by elston; 10-21-2008 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,266 times
Good morning all. Haven't a clue what I am making for dinner tonight. I also haven't been eating very healthy myself, have to start watching what I eat. My biggest downfall is carbs and junk food! I'll let you know later what I come up with.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
Hrm, I have some chicken tenders defrosting. I'm not sure how I'm going to cook them yet. Mashed potatos since I need to use them up. I'm not sure which green veggie I'm cooking yet.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Elston the way I did it for years and was successful was to be careful all week. Then 1 day (usually weekend) eat and drink whatever. After a while it would be weekends (2 days). That seemed to work so well as you knew there was a pot of gold at the end of the week.

I just threw my willpower out the window when we moved here.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 AM

Since I am not eating I am thinking about eating.

We are going to a family Thanksgiving Dinner at my son's in-laws home.....a group of really fine cooks who have been getting together for special occassions for some years now--everyone brings something to add to the feast and the host and hostess do the main course......

I think this year I am going to take a lobster gazpacho for an appetizer....it will be impressive in a pedestal glass bowl with all the beautiful multi colored vegetables...(I will leave a lot of it chunky not pureed) with lovely lobster tail medalions and pieces of claw meat...and perhaps with some Absolut Citron on the side for anyone who wants to add just a splash of extra cheer to their appetizer.

http://www.wlbz2.com/life/programming/local/207/recipes/story.aspx?storyid=89665 (broken link)

Last edited by elston; 10-21-2008 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink