Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times

Advertisements

Morning all-have to get caught up-but Amber JimJ is right about the smaller birds and cooking before hand. I have a very easy recipe for Sweet Potato Pudding if you want-can be made ahead and reheated.

Enlist guests to contribute-like Elston and MWBW suggest. I done slightly under 40 (38) and it worked well- Trick-make lists, schedules, cook as much ahead as possible. Being you're in CA there's a possibility you could reheat on the grill also.

Don't forget lots of wine for the cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:10 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
amberbaby so sorry that guy was a jerk...the world unfortunately has a lot of them.

NMS.....that was really funny and I have to wait for the reps to you.

Amber.....one of the things I make at Thanksgiving is a broccolli casserole.......Just get a ton of broccolli spears- butter- VELVEETA- and Ritz crackers.

Cook the broccolli. Drain and put velveeta in and the steam should melt it. Put in tin foil pan.
Melt a stick or two of butter then crush a couple of sleeves of Ritz crackers and mix into the butter.
Put cracker mix over the broccolli then bake 35-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Serves a lot of people.
Can cook this a day or two before and bake the day of.

I think tonight I may splurge and do what I call Mexican meatloaf.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Ah Amber...it's never to late to call me! Please don't forget that! I am always here for you!

Thanks to you all for being their for Amber--it means so much to us both!

She is very sensitive as am I and it's a tough world for people like us. I had something very similar happen to me when I was a cashier at a grocery store. Really hurt my feelings a lot--some drunk guy--I will never forget it either.

I don't envy you Amber for this huge Thanksgiving but make sure everyone coming helps out. Keep it fun and don't make it a job! Everyone here has given you such great ideas and advise!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Hey Amber, I just remembered a recipe that we got when eating at Lee Greenwoods (god bless the USA song guy) restaurant in Severeville,TN. It was fantastic and my son requests it every year. We've taken it to many a gathering and always noticed the bowl is empty before dinner is over.
Here it is....

Sweet Potato Soufflé

3 large sweet potatoes cooked and whipped (I use a Potato Ricer but you can use a mixer)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 bag marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Peel and cook potatoes until tender. Drain potatoes and whip. Add sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla. Mix well and put in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 25 minutes. Place marshmallows and pecans on top and return to oven for about 5 minutes or until brown on top.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:34 AM

I am always amazed with Amber and her Thanksgivings. When we still lived in CA she was hosting Thanksgiving then too...and well, many other occasions as well. She had somewhere over 30 people then I believe when we went and everything went so smoothly. Her house is not really big and she put one long table in her living room with most of the main dishes on it and then another table with the deserts on it. She had tables set up outside and inside in the dining room. Everyone ate as much as they desired and it was so organized. She had the kitchen under total control. She doesn't even have a dishwasher! Yikes! But a lot of the women pitched in with keeping the dished cleaned. In a small kitchen everyone managed to get around each other even as she was cooking. She just doesn't stress out like I do. I really think she is a natural at this! With so many ideas you all have given her it will make it even easier to have a good variety of tastey dishes. I know she starts days ahead and spends hours getting things ready---not fun to me but she enjoys it. I guess I just got burned out when I use to have to do the same thing! But I only had 25 people Ha!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
I wouldn't mind the cooking I would stress out about the dishes and no dishwasher. I hate when things pile up in the sink and countertops.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 AM

Oh gee---with all that's going on here I almost forgot to tell you about my roasted root veggies. We loved them. Hubby said it's a must for our future meals. Gosh they are so good and the taste is so yummy! I did red potatoes, carrots, quartered onions and parsnips. The cube steak was a winner too but the veggies were the big hit! Thanks so much for all the suggestions and directions about making them. It was one of the best dinners I've made!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
If you don't have the time to make the sweet potato souffle, Honey Baked Ham makes a pretty darn tasty one! You could just order a few!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
All my relatives have larger houses than I do. This is a good excuse not to host any holidays.

Tonight I am not sure what we're having for dinner. I have shrimp thawing in the refrigerator, so maybe I'll cook them with pasta, scampi-style.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The parsnips were good for a change, but a little woody. I've had parsnips that weren't, but I don't know how to pick them so they aren't.
I'd cut them into quarters lengthways, then if the centres look woody, just cut that strip out. Keep them for the stockpot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
Sorry I just wanted to tell someone. To late to call mom. I am not a mean person nor do I understand why you would be... Butt head should be happy I did not tell my hub... I know I am ha ha.

Thanks giving is going to be crazy. I need help on ideas of what to tell family to bring. Please
Amber - poor you - that's a horrible experience - but remember he's the one with the real problem... he has live with his mean and miserable self all day, every day. You can walk away and just carry on being the sweet, kind person you are

Re. Thanksgiving... Anyone suggested making Cornbread Pumpkin Muffins? They are really easy esp. if you cheat heavily, and use canned pumpkin and a cornbread mix!!! Will find a recipe for you....

Or Potted Shrimp!!!! Potted Shrimps Recipe | Food | Channel4.com

Keep smiling

Last edited by southdown; 10-22-2008 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink