Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention that lasts nights sesame chicken turned out very good. Hit the spot and was simple to make. I will make it again. Here is the recipe...I added some sesame seed oil in the sauce plus I put in crushed red pepper flakes for a bit of heat..yummy!

Sesame Chicken Recipe
This sesame chicken recipe will satisfy your taste for take-out Chinese Sesame Chicken. It's almost guilt-free since the chicken is not deep fried, which is a plus if you want all the take-out taste without the added pounds.

The sauce thickens to a beautiful dark brown, making presentation with fluffy Jasmine rice a true delight. If you like less heat in your Chinese food, omit the red pepper, but the sweetness of this dish really does balance out the spice perfectly.You can adjust the heat level by substituting with varying amounts of chili paste or even red pepper flakes. Toasting the sesame seeds brings out the flavor of the seeds and doesn’t take long.

This is a wonderful restaurant-quality dish you can easily make at home.

Sesame Chicken
Ingredients:

3 lb. skinless chicken
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c. plus 1 tbsp. water, divided
1/3 c. unsweetened apple juice
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. sesame seed
1 tbsp. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbsp. sliced scallion
Dash ground red pepper
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. sesame seed

Preparation:

1. Spray a 5 quart saucepot with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat.

2. Add chicken parts and cook, turning until chicken is browned on all sides, about 4-6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.

3. In a small mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup water with the juice, soy sauce, scallion, ketchup, sugar, garlic and red pepper, mixing well. Pour into pot.

4. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low.

5. Put chicken back into pot. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

6. Remove the chicken from the pot and keep warm, reserving liquid in pot.

7. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining water and add to liquid in pot. Cook until sauce is thickened (3-4 minutes).

8. Pour sauce evenly over chicken and sprinkle with sesame seed.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 11-14-2008 at 08:11 AM..

Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Cyn-has me drooling just reading it-and who says you're not adventuresome!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:04 AM

48,127 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Cyn-has me drooling just reading it-and who says you're not adventuresome!!!
I agree it sounds wonderful!

I am definately going to make this and it doesnt even look to bad for calories.....I expected it would have much more sweetener......thanks for the recipe.

Last edited by elston; 11-14-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-14-2008, 08:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Cyn- Thank you so much. That recipe sounds delicious.

Haven't decided on dinner yet. Talk to you all later.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Ahhhh, blush, thanks!! It was good I have to admit. Even picky DH like it!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
Hey guys. Not sure what I'm going to cook for dinner. It all depends on how I feel after PT. Since this is the first appointment, I believe that it's slightly longer so that the therapist can get to know you and such. It's been a long time since I've started PT. I've been at the point of just doing the useless exercises for years now.

(Although I still have hope that the shoulder exercises will start working anytime now, so I don't have to have shoulder surgery. Especially after all of this hassle with the knee.)

Old 11-14-2008, 08:28 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
Sesame Chicken
Ingredients:

3 lb. skinless chicken
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. sesame seed
2 tbsp. sliced scallion
Dash ground red pepper
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. sesame seed

Cyn is that the sesame oil?

What did you serve with it?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Hellooooooooooooooo

Today is my one year anniversary of being a NON-SMOKER!!!!!! Yep! Tough!

I tried to make yellow rice and chicken tonight with a can of green peas in it (well, not the actual can). It didn't come out as planned (and not because I left out the can). The taste was missing something, a few somethings, but it was edible. Maybe next time.

Who watches Grey's Anatomy? MEEEEEEEE
VP, congratulations on a hard road well traveled. It seems like just yesterday we were encouraging you. See? I bet you never thought you could do it. Way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Tonight I had Black Raspberry and Chocolate ice cream for dinner. I start PT tomorrow morning and I just didn't feel like cooking so I ate the rest of the ice cream I had in the freezer.
Best of luck w/the PT, molochai. Like someone mentioned in another post, you'll want to kill your therapist, but deep down, you know they're helping while they're hurtin. You'll see a difference, I know you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Me know watch TV of any kind. Sorry no help from me on that front. Congrats on the big anniversary. I have one today too now that you mention it. I've been married 44 years today. And I'm about a hundred pounds heavier for it.

Congrats to you and Mrs. Nomad! On the anniversary, not the 100 lbs! Wow...44 years - that must make you about 49!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Tonight DH is making Orange Roughy! Yes!! Not sure what we will be having with it yet but I will let y'all know later!
DH wants me to make beef stew tomorrow night...now it's been a couple of years since I made a good old homemade beef stew..I am open for some good ideas here. I remember the basics but would love some other ideas just to make sure I really do remember so I don't mess this up!
Cyn, I always like to add a bunch of ketchup towards the end - gives it a nice little oomph. Sorry, can't give measurements - I'm an eyeball it kinda gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Hey guys. Not sure what I'm going to cook for dinner. It all depends on how I feel after PT. Since this is the first appointment, I believe that it's slightly longer so that the therapist can get to know you and such. It's been a long time since I've started PT. I've been at the point of just doing the useless exercises for years now.

(Although I still have hope that the shoulder exercises will start working anytime now, so I don't have to have shoulder surgery. Especially after all of this hassle with the knee.)
If they're like my therapist, the first one is shorter. Just talking, an evaluation of where you're at and what you need and a few exercises, then send you back w/homework.

Good luck.

Dinner? unknown entity right now. I'll let you know.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I forgot to mention that lasts nights sesame chicken turned out very good. Hit the spot and was simple to make. I will make it again. Here is the recipe...I added some sesame seed oil in the sauce plus I put in crushed red pepper flakes for a bit of heat..yummy!

Sesame Chicken Recipe
This sesame chicken recipe will satisfy your taste for take-out Chinese Sesame Chicken. It's almost guilt-free since the chicken is not deep fried, which is a plus if you want all the take-out taste without the added pounds.

The sauce thickens to a beautiful dark brown, making presentation with fluffy Jasmine rice a true delight. If you like less heat in your Chinese food, omit the red pepper, but the sweetness of this dish really does balance out the spice perfectly.You can adjust the heat level by substituting with varying amounts of chili paste or even red pepper flakes. Toasting the sesame seeds brings out the flavor of the seeds and doesn’t take long.

This is a wonderful restaurant-quality dish you can easily make at home.

Sesame Chicken
Ingredients:

3 lb. skinless chicken
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. sesame seed
2 tbsp. sliced scallion
Dash ground red pepper
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. sesame seed

Preparation:

1. Spray a 5 quart saucepot with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat.

2. Add chicken parts and cook, turning until chicken is browned on all sides, about 4-6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.

3. In a small mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup water with the juice, soy sauce, scallion, ketchup, sugar, garlic and red pepper, mixing well. Pour into pot.

4. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low.

5. Put chicken back into pot. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

6. Remove the chicken from the pot and keep warm, reserving liquid in pot.

7. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining water and add to liquid in pot. Cook until sauce is thickened (3-4 minutes).

8. Pour sauce evenly over chicken and sprinkle with sesame seed.
That sounds great. I use another recipe where you precook and shred the chicken and add it at the end. I'm trying your's, though.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Cyn - that looks fantastic - thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink