Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Nomad wasn't it just a few days ago you were too hot down there?
It sure was. From the upper 80's to the low 40's in a week. How do you plan dinner around that?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Tonight's dinner was oysters, lots of oysters...oysters Rockefeller, and raw oysters on the half shell, Caesar salad and sourdough bread.

Hope everybody has a great night!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
Tonight I made chicken and rice soup, using a stock I made last night for a base. It turned out really nice, and my wife was very happy because she's got a cold. Although the soup was a winner with the wife and kid, the real home run was this bread I made to go with it. It's just one of those slack, no-knead dutch oven breads - but I had a can of tomato paste leftover from a seafood risotto that I had made, and I figured I'd mix it into the dough with a little rosemary instead of throwing it away - turned out great and went so nicely with the soup.

http://home.nc.rr.com/bad_mojo/bread_s.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Use ground turkey with lots of black pepper instead of the sausage. Go half the amount of milk with water instead. Not as tasty but point friendlier.
Another trick you can try is to use fat-free evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed!). Particularly when you're trying for a thick creamy-tasting something like cream gravy, that can be a great way to fool your tastebuds into thinking they're getting something naughty.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how fast the pages fill up in this thread every time I turn my back! Food and friendship are two endlessly interesting topics, though, which probably goes a long way to explaining it.

To those of you who are feeling urpsy, best wishes for a speedy recovery - and that is NOT how you should be preparing for next Thursday's feast, by the way. Please get healthy quickly, and stay that way!

And to the travelers I send wishes for dry clear roads, minimal traffic, good maps and cheerful companions en route. I hope that the families astonish you with their lack of drama this year, and that you have a wonderful time.

We had a jolly time with the daughter and her sig-other this evening; they're such a funny pair together. They've been so busy getting settled in to their apartment that we haven't seen a lot of them lately, so it was a good chance to get caught up with them again. The spouse fixed a long-time family favorite, I think from one of Jeff Smith's Frugal Gourmet cookbooks: roasted chicken with potato, rosemary and green olive stuffing. The original recipe called for capers, too, but we don't find that they make a lot of difference to the end result, or not enough to make it worth buying a jar of capers. Also, the recipe only calls for making up enough of the potato mixture to stuff the chicken, and we learned about a decade and a half ago that that was NOT enough stuffing for our bottomless pit offspring. So now we make a whole 9x13 panfull of the potato mixture, lay a split chicken over top, and roast it that way. It was a big hit with the kids tonight, and we sent them home with what leftovers there were, which wasn't much. Sent them the home-made applesauce we made the other day, too, as the daughter's sig-other discovered how much he likes it.

All in all, a good evening, even though it's making for a later bedtime than would be optimum for this point in the week. Not that that's so much different from most other nights, of course.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
MBW, Bless you!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:57 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Hey Kats, how about whipping up some quick BBQ. I'm hungry already.. I really want a rib eye with mashed taters and a side of green lima beans. Coconut cream pie would be a plus.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Um, Ok?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Kats and Nomad, it's time for bed. Just had my midnight snack - applesauce and a cup of hot English Breakfast Tea.

Speaking of breakfast. It will soon be here. Can you wait that long, Nomad?

Good night.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:46 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,886 times
I had another dinner which reminded me of our "poor"days back when I was a kid! I ad to fix cornbread for dressing I have to take to school on Friday for the teachers luncheon. I used a new cornmeal since I couldn't find my favorite "Martha White" here. So, I cut myself a huge slice and ate it in a bowl of milk, remembering my daddy fondly (it was his favorite)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink