Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times

Advertisements

LOL. It looks like we all have our eyes on tomorrow's dinner and have many reasons to rush through today's!

My family thinks that something evil befell them and they are now on the show "Wife Swap"!

Last night it was take-out Taco Bell for the DS and leftovers for DH. Tonight I made a quick stop at Wendy's drive-thru and picked up 3 large chilis for the two of them and I finished off my broccoli-cheese soup that I threw together yesterday.

They want the other "Mom" to come home and feed them!!

Tomorrow will look really good to them even if the turkey is dried out, the gravy lumpy, the stuffing too celery-tasting, and the pumpkin pie half-baked. It's good to condition them with REALLY bad meals for a couple of days and then they think your REAL cooking is fit for a king.

Have a wonderful day of thankfulness tomorrow with your loved ones no matter what is sitting on the table.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
ham n potato.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Ok Kat....explain please. I can picture upsidedown but overnight?
I just saw this Jess - I dm'd you!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,104 times
Well, Today I cooked a filet mignon with my own special mushroom sauce over Linguini..crusty French bread & butter, and had a glass of pinot griggio white wine!!

And for dessert..I had made Flan!!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Stealing a moment to stop in and say hi while awaiting the fudge-pecan pie timer to go off once more.... it always takes longer than the recipe says, probably because the son insists on making a recipe and a half, as he claims that there just isn't enough filling from a single recipe. Ah, well...

Once the fudge-pecan pie comes out, gotta crank up the temp to 400 and put the pumpkin pies in. While they're baking, I'll peel and cut up apples for the final pie of the night. Spouse's two beautiful loaves of home-made bread are already done, and once the pies are out & cooling, all I have to do is wash up. Hmmmm, maybe it's time to co-opt that fraternity boy into earning his turkey dinner tomorrow.

Oh, almost forgot, supper tonight was pizza delivered by the friendly folks at Glass Nickel. Just too much going on in that tiny, hot, airless excuse for a kitchen to think about cooking supper on top of everything else.

Wups, timer just went off, must run - have a great evening, all!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times
Default messed up cookies

Well guys, my DD and her friend didn't do to well on the Nanna cookies tonight. We had multiple sizes so about a 1/3 came out ok. Oh well, they had fun. Christmas we be a little more supervised or we just need more practise. Tomorrow should be good. Like I said, we are going to my friend's son's wife's family's house. Boy that is alot of apostrophes. Not only is my DD that still lives at home going but also my middle DD and oldest grandson. I am really looking forward to this now that more of my crew will be there.

This is it for me for a couple of days. I hope all my new friends have a wonderful day of food, fun, friends and family. I will be thinking of all the things that I am thankfull for and hoping all my loved ones have what they need to make them happy.

Happy Thankgivings Friends!!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,170 times
You all are all so super! I have decided to cook, mainly for me (it is my favorite holiday meal). I went ahead and made my grandma's lemon pie and cornbread for the dressing. The turkey is ready to go in the oven first thing in the morning. I have also decided to bribe the kids, since all of the neighbor kids are going to be gone for the day. If the kids eat, we will be going to see the new Disney movie "Bolt". Thought that would be a good compromise.

Thanks again for all the encouragement! My DH has also promised the kids a video call via Skype when he gets up Friday morning (it will be lunch time here in Texas on Thursday). They love watching him and themselves on the computer, and my hubby likes to get the dog going by calling his name and whistling!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Whew. The last pie is finally in the oven, the college boy is washing dishes for me, and I'm relaxing with a glass of wine and my foodie friends on CD. Love-love-love Thanksgiving, but there's no denying that it's a bit of a workout.

The fudge-pecan pie came out simply gorgeous, and yes, Noma, I thought of you as it wafted its rich, chocolaty aroma throughout the house. I'd offer you a taste, but I suspect that even if you got on a jet right now, it would be gone before you landed. It's a pretty popular thing around here. If you'd like the recipe, just let me know; I think it's one you'd enjoy a lot.

The matched pair of pumpkin pies, made from pie pumpkins we got at the Farmers' Market last month and using my late mother-in-law's decades-old recipe, are cooling on top of the stove. They came out particularly pretty this year; some years, the pie pumpkins we get have a very pale flesh, and the pumpkin custard turns a rather unlovely color as a result, but this year they were a deep rich orange, and the pies are consequently very attractive. I took a wee taste when I tested them for done-ness, and as always, that is *the best* pumpkin pie recipe ever.

The final pie, the one still in the oven, is a Dutch apple, which is the other traditional Thanksgiving pie in our family. It's nicely heaped with juicy Granny Smith apples, spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, and mounded up with a crumble topping. Should be ready in another 30 minutes or so.

Then, all I'll have to do is figure out where to put the pies overnight so that the kitty won't be able to get at them. He is a rather odd fellow for a feline; not only does he love fresh tomatoes, he is also very fond of pie crust. We discovered that this past summer when we found all the crust edges neatly nibbled off the blueberry pie I had made for a cookout. Right now, of course, he's stretched out in my lap purring thunderously, but I know he'll be prowling for a snack in the wee hours, and I'll be doggoned if I'll leave my beautiful pies out where he can find 'em.

G'night, all, and joyful Thanksgiving to all my dear friends here! May your turkey be juicy, your pies be plentiful, your families healthy, and your celebrations full of laughter and love. See you later!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:55 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Good morning friends and Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!!!!

StateFan-good for you-enjoy the day with your little ones.

MWBW-wow I wish I had a seat at your table!

Gem-that's a thought-feed them bad a few days and they'll think your Julia Child re-incarnated.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:45 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Well, it looks like we will most likely be feasting on similar fare tonight.... for me it will pretty much be just the fixins as the bird isn't exactly my favorite part. But i do love those sides.....and let's not forget the PIES! First stop is to my grandmothers for dinner and my mothers pumpkin, apple and pecan pies.... for a few hours and then we will trek off to the inlaws to visit with them for more pies and so hubby can have his heaping helping of PASTA..... I really did think he was joking when I first met him that they STARTED their Turkey Day with PASTA....LOL.... So, he ends it now

We have woken up sore and stiff today. Have spent he last three days working on the family room floor. Turned off the internet connection three days ago about.... So i have some serious catching up to do..... But man does my new hardwood floor look amazing! AND I DID IT MYSELF!!!!!! Hubby and I are really proud of ourselves.... and are REALLY sore..... ouch.... we used to do stuff like this all time in out old house.... without a stitch of pain.... is it the dreaded 31? The kids have been really good about it too- little angels.... Well, breakfast is over and we have a huge clean up job and furniture to get moving back into the family room.... i just wanted to wish all my dear CD freinds HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your feasts and I hope you stuff yourselves today!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink