Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,140,357 times

Advertisements

Kind of a clean out dinner tonight, had a few slices of meatloaf + mac & cheese in the freezer and half a container of Brussels sprouts in the fridge. Nuked the icy stuff, sauteed the sprouts in buttered cast iron and dinner was a done deal

Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,348,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
You can't mince meat without a machine, even the sharpest knife won't do that...

The meat needs to be browned on its own in a hot pan, in small batches so you don't cool the pan down with too much cold meat at once. If you aren't hearing a loud sizzle, then it's not browning. Fat is OK, drain it off if you have too much... fat runs clear - water foams up whitish. If you ever put too much meat in the pan at once, then stop! And take it out fast, drain it, re-heat the clean, empty pan to smoking hot and add a little at a time back in, brown it, remove to a bowl, then do the next batch. Once all has browned, you can even add back the drained juices, the water will evaporate fast and just leave some of the essential flavors.

Anyhoo - chopped lamb stew with a potato topping is Lob Scouse or Lancashire Hotpot! Very authentic English dishes

BTW Shepherd's Pie would never have wine in it, but the alcohol would evaporate anyway with the cooking, so there would only be the flavor of the wine left - no booze!
Well, my husband gave up alcohol for Ramadan, and this is Eid al Fitr, so I'm being culturally sensitive. I am drinking a whiskey sour as I write this, btw.
So THAT's what I have been doing wrong. Next time, I'll have patience and cook the meat in SMALL batches. Wow. Also, I woudl really love a food processor. Do you think I could grind meat successfully in one?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,217,370 times
Hope you feel better soon, MTH

Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,801,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I want to thank all of my foodie friends who have been vigilantly praying for my son. I updated the thread about him in the CC thread. I was able to really enjoy my dinner tonight for the first time in days. Even if we forgot to put in the onion the kielbasa gulashy stuff was good.
Thanks to all but prayers won't stop friend. Goodnight all. Mr. L just put the big down comforter on the bed and TV on-we had an early day-thank you all for your prayers, wishes-all will be fine.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,009,948 times
We had bacon, eggs and potatos. The kids love breakfast dinner

Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
Default Go to a restaurant to find your dinner idea.

It's easy. When you run out of idea, just pick a restaurant. look at the menu and order the dishes, if you like them then ask the owner how to do it. They probably will not tell you the detail, but would give you basic idea. Then it's up to you to go home to try to make them. If you visit my website at [URL="http://www.authenticchinesefoodie.com"]Best Authentic Super Delicious Chinese Food, Soup Dumpling, Noodles, Dim Sum and More[/URL] and send me an email I will give you some cooking receip, such as dumpling, different ways of making chicken food etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I couldn't find a thread covering this but I could have missed it if there is one. Anyhow, I don't know about anyone else but I am so tired of just figuring out WHAT to make for dinner each night!! I get stuck making the same dishes and it's getting old fast!! Please help by giving us all some interesting and easy ideas!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,348,339 times
Whoops, I got my Eid's mixed up. Now is Eid al-Adha. It' s the "meat" Eid.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,041,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Also, I woudl really love a food processor. Do you think I could grind meat successfully in one?
Not really - meat grinding/mincing is less violent than the whizzing chopping blades of a food processor. Mincing is forcing the meat, pushing it thu a load of tiny holes rather than pulverising it completely! Unless the newer processors have some fancy attachments...???

You can buy meat mincers very cheap, they bolt onto your counter-top and you push the meat thru whilst turning the handle. Bit messy to disassemble and clean tho.

If you have a good butcher they will mince any kind of meat you want minced, to whatever fine-ness you like. They will probably advise you to have some fat in it tho - for flavor, fry-ability and for texture, but that is up to you

Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,141,701 times
skbs I know what you mean about the other forums! Your kids know Santa is watching maybe that is why they are gobbling down those veggies. Tell DH we are very proud of him!

Amber could you breathe in your jeans??? I haven't seen size 5 since grade school girl! Went to 10/12 in high school stayed there many years then I don't know what happened.

CheyDee I have never heard using applesauce in meatballs.

Woofers sorry you are on the sick bed now.

JFRRACING just wanted to say hi!

kinkytoes good luck! I have never cooked anything with lamb.

molochai I keep watching your weather reports because I know we aren't far off what you are getting here in IN very soon.

Nomad CC thread????

cyn I had certain threads I went to before joining in this one. But I kept getting I couldn't give you guys here reps until I spread the love around. So I ventured off into more other areas, boy it is brutal out there in CD land. Just yesterday somebody mistook my post. I clarified my post told them if they read my other posts on CD I was a positive person then left that place. I kind of had the whipped pup feeling too. I will stay in my safe areas here there is too much grumpy people in real life I avoid so I don't want to be around them in cyber space.

Our chicken breasts were even better tonight and boy those baked sweets hit the spot.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,346,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

Our chicken breasts were even better tonight and boy those baked sweets hit the spot.
Well that is what I'm looking for next. The bag of sweet potatoes will be put to use for tomorrow dinner. Good baking weather here. Just enough oven heat to keep the furnace off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink