Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,138,455 times

Advertisements

Lacey our mailbox gets knocked off the post at least once usually twice each winter by the snow plow. It sets back off the road too but they annually seem to want to widen our road by digging up ditches and our front yard dirt. Grrrrrr

southdown hope your little boy feels better soon.

jimj I use the mini Ritz peanut butter crackers to dip in melted chocolate they are bite size and less time consuming. They are one of the first things gone of the holiday trays around here.

Hey what about a magic bus to take each of us to each other's homes when needed! We can stop along the route to pick up different ones so by the time we get to where we are going the bus would be full! Thanks for the NC invites but we are hankering down ready to brave this cold storm headed our way I believe. Need to go to the Amish farm to get some eggs tomorrow so the baking can continue.

BBQ beef ribs, beets, green beans and apple salad made it on our supper plates tonight. Have 5 dozen oatmeal cookies and 6 dozen chocolate with white chips cookies baked and one batch of peanut butter fudge. I was ready to start making our industrial batch of peanut butter balls but seems my 5 or 6jars of PB must of gotten legs and left. Hazards of having one kid out of the nest that is broke most of the time reckon?

Off to catch up on my other threads stay warm folks! Nomad did you get your chocolate fix????

Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,312,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Oh, before I forget I was given a new "cookie" recipe today. You take ritz crackers and peanut butter and make a sandwich out of them. You then dip 'em in chocolate (I bet I got nomad's attention) and let them dry. I'm told people will never figure out what's in 'em! I wonder how it'd be if you added some jam as well.
Stay safe and warm!
Sounds good especially since I have the ingredients.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 PM

849 posts, read 1,947,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
OK who's had Einstein bagels here?

That's what I had for dinner. One "everything" bagel... half with onion & chives "schmear" and the other half with salmon schmear. Gawd I could have 4 more! I got a dozen, varied, and they are in the freezer to be eaten at regular intervals.
You can sign up and get some coupons via e-mail. Here is a good site for coupons.

Wow Coupons - Free Printable Restaurant and Food Coupon Codes

Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,842,863 times
Well, with the wind howlin' and all this talk of negative temps.... I am freezing down to my bones! We had a strange heat wave today and had it not been windy and rainy I would have taken total advantage of it and gone Coatless! But that wind had a bite to it..... And now the temp has taken a NOSE DIVE! Back down to 30 and snow is flyin'..... oh well, it was nice to see 50 today..... That is the strange thing about Rochester NY... you can experience about three seasons in one day! LOL.....

Well, this girls Carcass is very tired I have busted my butt today. Some serious hard work. Didn't really get to sit on my duff until about an hour ago and that was to fill out awards for the assembly I am putting on tomorrow..... I really think I should head to bed.....

I did make hubby a nice sauteed veg pasta tonight- tons of garlic, evoo, balsamic, a little pesto MIX, zucchini, red onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, basil...... mmm mmm good... topped with parm cheese.... he downed it happily.... and I took a tad for myself..... I was just too busy tonight to eat a real meal..... I nibbled on other's dinners.....

I am off to bed... the eyelids are getting heavy..... 'night all.... Wish me luck tomorrow... it really is a huge day for me (four months of hard work coming to a close- THANK GOODNESS!!!!!)

Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,039,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
If I put anything besides chocolate with good whisky, it would probably be pecans. Unless you're using something like Scotch, in which case you should put the whisky in a glass and the fudge in the pan by itself.
It's not just Scotch, it's single malt Islay Scotch - peaty, smoky, yummy. Probably too good for fudge, but it would be good I wouldn't boil off the alcohol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Can the whiskey fudge be rationalized as cold medicine? Sound reasonable to me.
This would cure all ills think you might be onto something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Nomad it sounds like the purrfect cold remedy to me. Let's patent that and spread it around. I'll take a few pounds. And I'll proudly display them very, very soon after inhaling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I like the idea but the word is out now so we most likely will get ripped off. Just think of all the cats I could support and play with if we had royalties off such a dual purpose treat.
So who wants to be in charge of 'taste n check' for efficacy?

I've done the Maple Walnut fudge - I toasted then candied the walnut pieces in the maple syrup so they were crispy crunchy, then sprinkled them into the pan of hot liquid fudge, so they will give a little crisp maple-flavored crunch to the fudge. I am now officially obsessed with fudge.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 PM

southdown did you use pieces or whole walnuts? That sounds like something I would like to try in my next batch of fudge.

skbs we experienced 3 temp ranges here today as well. We dropped 35° in less than 4 hours tonight we are at 16° real temp at the moment. Calling for snow and ice tomorrow my kids are hoping not to have a 2 hour delay because their semester finals start tomorrow.

Either way with or without a delay there is going to be some baking going on up in here! Well, um, the God lord willing and we don't lose power.

Sleep well friends!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:47 PM

Oh shoot southdown sorry I just reread your post and I see you used pieces. Please forgive me asking a question you already answered.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,311,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
It's not just Scotch, it's single malt Islay Scotch - peaty, smoky, yummy. Probably too good for fudge, but it would be good I wouldn't boil off the alcohol.
<whimper>

That was the sound of a frat boy about 130 miles west of here, mourning the fate of that wonderful single malt Islay. Fudge is wonderful stuff, and I love it as much as anyone, but single malt Islay... dear merciful heavens, woman, you've gone mad, quite mad I tell you!!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,039,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
<whimper>

That was the sound of a frat boy about 130 miles west of here, mourning the fate of that wonderful single malt Islay. Fudge is wonderful stuff, and I love it as much as anyone, but single malt Islay... dear merciful heavens, woman, you've gone mad, quite mad I tell you!!
That whisky has sat on the shelf for over a year, nery a soul partakes but a snifter once in a very blue moon, so I am giving it a new lease of life! Sharing with my neighbors... or maybe.... I should just invite them over for a drink? Hey - MWBW, come on over!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,331,271 times
I have no whiskey. I must invest in a small bottle strictly for cooking purposes. Expressly for fudge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink