Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times

Advertisements

Slip sliding my way in here to say good morning! We got another ice storm last night school was delayed 2 hours. Quite frankly they should have cancelled it but schools have to have so many days in order to keep their state funding right?

jimj I remember those first winter drives I had to make then again teaching my oldest. Not fun but very necessary. Sorry we aren't neighbors so I could give you some of my apple pie in a jar it is really quite good and nice to have on the shelf. Make my crust, dump in a quart of the apple pie filling, top with another crust and bake. mmmmmm Nothing tastes better than free home grown apples canned up!

YLisa congrats on your healthy eating good job! Did you get any of your apples canned up since I am not that far yet on your thread? Page 67 this ice spitting was causing us to lose phone line usuage.

Tonight will be something new and different I am reading a diabetic magazine with recipes today. I need to cook some meals for a fella at our church that is a diabetic that hasn't been following a good diet. Thought I would use my family as the taste testers before making a couple of meals for him. Please if any of you have TNT recipes or ideas share with me!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
Today feels like it should be Thursday, but it's not. Hurry up work week!!

I ended up making a HUGE pot of turkey noodle soup last night. It was very good and we have tons and tons of leftovers to freeze.

Tonight we are going out to eat because we are going to the local "Syracuse bar" to watch their team play basketball. My BF is a super fan and watches them on tv whenever he can. It will be nice to get out mid-week and not have to cook. Sounds like MWBW and Lacey get to do the same.

Have a good day everyone.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,569 times
Southwestern Veggie Soup
Chicken Fajita (Thanks to Satx)
Fresh Homemade Vanilla Cake with Bakers Icing.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,266 times
Good afternoon all, sending lots of warmth to those that are having yucky winter weather! Not sure what dinner will be, maybe a bag of chips-have to work tonight. SKBS a burger sounds really good, has me thinking where I could get a good one around here? Enjoy the day and be safe all.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
I just made the japanese (Golden's Brand) curry beef....with lots of onions and carrot.....it smells wonderful. It is one of those meals that tastes best if it has a chance to "mellow" so I made it this morning for a late supper this evening. I used a good beef stock instead of water to cook down the beef....and I think that is going to make it super good.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I just made the japanese (Golden's Brand) curry beef....with lots of onions and carrot.....it smells wonderful. It is one of those meals that tastes best if it has a chance to "mellow" so I made it this morning for a late supper this evening. I used a good beef stock instead of water to cook down the beef....and I think that is going to make it super good.
Bet it beats the smell of mackeral!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Default Holy Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Bet it beats the smell of mackeral!!!!
It beats it with a stick. There are still two containers of mackeral in the fridge....one seems to be mostly the heads....which he says he likes too.
Some of this is to tease me ...... it must be! Just for the halibut! No he really likes it!....but up to now couldnt indulge this taste...but living near the fish pier......omg what have I done.

Last edited by elston; 01-07-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
chicken stew marinated for 3 days in wine n garlic

Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
well, answering karlas q of the day determined my meal for tonight!

I'm having comfort food!

piping hot steaming biscuits with a hint of butter in them
scrambled eggs - cheese for those who insist!

white gravy slow cooked in an old cast iron skillet

and aromatic slices of bacon

topped off with home made muscadine jelly

and freshly ground coffee

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
CheyDee- Your dinner sounds delicious. The cherry turnovers also sound great. Recipes?
The hens a l'orange are easy. I just mix some fresh squeezed oj, grated orange rind, soy sauce, minced garlic, white wine, and honey together and marinate the birds for a couple of hours. Then I put orange slices in each cavity, put them in a pan, add the marinade and bake, uncovered, at 350F, for 45 min to 1 hr., basting a few times. (It's orange season here and a good way to use some of the oranges from our trees.) I cook the stuffing in the same pan beside the hens, instead of inside, so it soaks up some of the marinade and gets a little crisp on top instead of being all mushy. When the hens are done, I remove the oranges from the cavities and top the stuffing with the cooked orange slices.

The turnovers are nothing fancy. I just want to use up the pie crust I have in the fridge. Roll out the crust, cut it in quarters, fill each with cherry pie filling on one side, fold over each piece and seal edges, then bake at 425F until golden brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink