Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,188,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I have made cornish hens in the past and they were always really good and juicy! I will have to think back on what I did, but they really were very good! Keep y'all posted when I remember!
I think mine have always been good too. I get the 24 OZ ones instead of the 16 OZ ones...That might make a diff. Just don't depend on me to remember much anymore...I see people that know me but I'm so embarrassed because I don't know them..

Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,028,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I think mine have always been good too. I get the 24 OZ ones instead of the 16 OZ ones...That might make a diff. Just don't depend on me to remember much anymore...I see people that know me but I'm so embarrassed because I don't know them..
Handy that C-D thoughtfully supplies our name on each post then!!! Don't know where I'd be without that shame we can't arrange such a facility in real life.... Just read this about a man with face-blindness, very interesting article...http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ness-neurology

Tonight was baked ziti, and I did a cheesy breadcrumb topping but added slices of pepperoni too. I'm getting obsessed with using things up

Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,235,805 times
Well, it sounds good to me!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,666,070 times
This idea came from my favorite Dallas restaurant, Breadwinners.

Stuffed Peppers

Green Pepper
Yellow Squash
2 Carrots
1/2 Yellow Onion
2 Garlic Cloves
Salt/pepper
Olive Oil
(canned stewed tomatoes - I did not use this but should have!)

Cut a circle around the top stem of the green pepper, pull out. Cut green pepper in half so that you will have two "round shapes". Cut small hole in bottom as well. Clean out insides, but do I really need to tell you that? Chop the bottom of the green pepper if wanted and add to sauteed veggies.

Julianne squash and carrots. Chop onion and garlic.

On a heated and oiled pan, cook Squash, carrots, onions, garlic, ends of the green pepper and sautee! Also, add a bit of canned and stewed tomatoes if using - I recommend it!

Put the two chunky circular slices of green pepper in the same bowl (or different if you want that many dishes) you cooked the potatoes in. With a shallow bit of water, on medium high, these should be done in 6 or 7 minutes.

When all is done, scoop mashed potatoes onto a plate, add an empty green pepper, scoop julianed veggies into green pepper and also decorate around the mashed potatoes with the julianed veggies.

There is so much you can do here. Sub zucchini for squash, add green beans - so much you can do. Make this your own and have fun! Perhaps adding some couscous or bread crumbs? This dish is so pretty by the way!

Spinach, Mushroom and Garlic Mashed Potatoes

3 small potatoes
3 small new potatoes
2 medium florets of cauliflower
small handful of fresh spinach
few mushrooms - I used 3 large ones
2 garlic cloves
a bit of olive oil
Salt/fresh ground pepper
tablespoon of vegan margarine
tablespoon of vegan cream cheese
a bit of soy milk

Peel 2 of the three potatoes, wash and cut. Clean and cut new potatoes. Clean and cut cauliflower. Place all in boiling water on stove.

Rip or chop fresh spinach, chop mushrooms and garlic.

When potatoes and cauliflower is done, drain and transfer to bowl. I used a whisk to mash and mix after adding a tablespoon of vegan margarine, vegan cream cheese and a bit of soy milk. Then start in with a handheld mixer, get it smooth, but for sure leave those red and brown skins!

Sautee the spinach, mushrooms and garlic until done.

Fold the sauteed veggies into the mashed potatoes, fresh ground pepper and salt that dish, serve hot!

This is all so good with some fabulous crusty bread, I did not have time. Golden Globes are on and I HAVE to see those dresses and hair!

Let me know what you do with this and how it turns out!

This feeds 2 with some left over potatoes and veggies. Add another green pepper if feeding 4.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,113,236 times
southdown you will feel such accomplishment when you reach the bottom of your freezer or cupboards!

Kats & Nomad glad you both had success with cornish hens I have always read to use the 16 oz for best flavor. It stands to reason bigger ones might be a little more meaty and juicy depending on how you cook them.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,757,112 times
Chili Size (it's an L.A. thing)

EDIT: And See's Candy for dessert. Another L.A. thing.

Last edited by Fontucky; 01-11-2009 at 11:28 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,188,343 times
Time for the after dinner brownie....midnight snack...

Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,770,401 times
Good morning all-my knees woke me up as the barometric is dropping in prep for a blizzard.

Elston-yes think I've had them only at banquet type things. I marinated them all day in soy, orange,garlic,honey, pepper,ginger-plus make a separate baste/paste but they were very bland-didn't pick up the flavors.

Jaxson-that's the last place I had them-but at Dixie Stampede in Myrtle Beach.

Keep warm all, this week will be cold for lots of us.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,549,222 times
Today , very simple Grilled Marinated Chicken Breasts with Moroccan Couscous.

I was thinking of making Chicken lemon risotto which I had recently at a restaurant and was utterly glorious but I chickened out !!! I find risotto quite a daunting task, as you need to have good stock and keep a permanent eye on it whilst stirring. I think I should leave to the experts.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,881,742 times
Chicken Marbella
Brown sugar, prunes, green olives, capers, white wine, olive oil, oregano--weird sounding but very good.
I *might* make risotto to go with it (might just make regular rice).
Moose, I agree that risotto is daunting, but every once in awhile it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink