Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 11:39 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NYMD67 My mom also use to sometimes take ground beef,brown it with some gravy and pour it over mashed potatoes... is there a name for that?
Hamburger gravy? That is what my mom called it she would make sausage gravy but replace the sausage with hamburger. Needs lots of pepper just like if you replace it with ground turkey I feel.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:45 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Well, Dad changed my taco plans - He decided to grill some big ole steaks! Yum! Leftover Potatoes and Onions, and a salad or coleslaw! Can't decide if I want to put together the lasagna for tomorrow, or make up a big batch of chili!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM

202 posts, read 358,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
It's a cheap and easy meal. We usually use pork liver but sometimes I just take chicken or turkey liver. Clean it well, then put p+s over it, roll in flour. Melt butter or oil in pan and toss the liver in it. Brown from every side but don't make it too hot for too long or it'll get too dry.
Onion rings baked in a bit of butter.
Oo, thanks MM. Maybe I can try to sneak it past the Chef.

Cyn, I'm not usually a fan of salisbury steak (too many years of the school cafeteria serving sub-par food, maybe? ), but I think I may have to try that.

Anyway, great start to the day: I have a killer headache and the apartment is freezing, imagine that. At least I'm not as cold as Lacey! I don't think I'd be able to get out of bed in the morning!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Default Volcanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Is that what this is called? My mom use to make some type of version of this growing up, although I think sometimes she used the Cheddar Cheese Soup instead of the chicken and didn't put the other cheese in it...
I thought it was something possibly my grandma's family had learned to make during the depression?
My mom also use to sometimes take ground beef,brown it with some gravy and pour it over mashed potatoes... is there a name for that?
I actually liked both growing up and have tried it with my kids-it was a no go
that hamburg and gravy meal....in our family, we called "goulash" and if it was served over mashed potatoes we called it "volcanos"; the gravy and meat being the lava and the potato the mountain. The volcanos was just something in our house....I dont think anyone else did that.

That was a real hard time meal because you could stretch a pound of hamburg to fill up the whole family.... there were chopped onions browned with the hamburg if you had an onion....and for goodness sakes, dont drain the fat.....that is the basis for the "gravy" which could be made of milk or water depending on how tough the times were....a little gravy master or kitchen bouquet....helped a lot. A can of peas was often served with this popular supper.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Thumbs up Soup is on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
John in Scranton, I have had the deli section cut me off a thick piece of ham before, or I have bought a ham steak and cubed it, or I have bought one of those small hams in the hot dog/lunch meat section, and cubed part of it and saved the rest for sandwiches. I prefer any of those options to using deli sliced ham - in a pot of soup or beans, you really want to have a piece of ham you can CHEW on, not just some bitty slices that disappear into the liquid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
John you can ask your meat dept for however thick of slice of ham you want and dice it yourself too. I know a lot of folks that use big groceries around here they just take whatever is in the meat cases for sale. They don't realize they can ring the bell and the butcher will special cut anything for you.
Thanks guys!! I did have the deli cut me the meat in cubes. And it was about the same price as the ones aready packed.. But I got the fresh stuff!! Thanks for the advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
this is very easy, and wonderful!

1 lb bag navy beans
3 qt H2O
1/2 lb bacon, diced
1/2 lb diced ham, preferably smoked
1 t Tabasco
1 t salt
1/2 cup ketchup
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onion
3 carrots, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
3 cloves
1 T sugar
1 T paprika
salt and pepperr to taste

In large stock pot, saute bacon for five munutes, add all veg and saute til onions are clear, add rest of ingredients and cook 2 hours or until beans are tender, adjust salt and pepper, enjoy!
Well the above is on the stove right now!! Just got done making it and putting it all together.. already smells good in here.. Going by the 2 hour cook time. Should be ready just intime for dinner!! Thanks all for your help on this one!! Will let everyone know when it done..

Also thanks for the couple DM's I got aswell.... You guy's are the best!!

Thank you all for having me on the best thread, C-D has!!

John..

Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Well back from town. But we went to the wrong town so no lunch out for me. I made an appointment for the dog at the vet next week. So if it doesn't snow I will drop her off and finally go to a real grocery store and get "Panko".

Tonight is sausage and pepper parm for my DH and I am having a rice, bean, and veggie mix.

cyn- I hate the cold. I'm glad you got your water on. We were up at 5:00am with no running water at all. My hubby had to go outside with the hairdryer. All is well now but winters stink.

Kat- Can I come? I would love to be able to grill outside.

RtGo-I hope you feel better.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Alright..... my children are out of the house and I have one load of laundry left.... one bathroom to clean....one kitchen sink to scrub.... AND I AM OFF DUTY!!!!! YAHOO!!!!!!! Have a great weekend to everyone.... I have a very busy weekend and may or may not see you all.... so enjoy all of your meals.... mine will be easy to come by and most likely fly by the seat of the pants (if not through the means of take out )...... Catch you all back here on Monday (if I don't see you a glimpse of you sooner)...... adios.....

Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Hi all-busy as usual!

Cyn keep your vanity doors open, also under your kitchen sink-open the doors, let the water drip. Especially if outside wallls.

GentleArts that is a winner for sure.

Jax-chili-perfect for today.

Elston-I made lots of depression era meals when first married as Mr. L was in the service and money was beyond tight-still make some to this day as it's comfort food.

John-I get smoked pork chops-either boneless or w/the bone.

YLisa-so sorry you didn't get lunch out.

Amber - dreamt about you last night!

Went out as Mr. L needed ice cream (gained 20 lbs from the prednisone). So picked up a pizza from Papa Murphy's. Martini's and pizza how's that for gourmet!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym rat View Post
Am I the only one who cannot get their family to eat Liver and Onion???
Oh, heck no. My husband and I love it, but never could get any of the little crumb grabbers to eat it.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Lisa - Come on over and we'll throw a couple of more on the grill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink