Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

Just doing a quick check in....I am watching the Inauguration. Not a great day for me as far as the no patch day--ugh! Uptight and on edge...not very patient so am just trying not to say much! Ha! But it is day 32 no smoking and one day with no patch! Dinner last night was just some pasta and tonight is shrimp and french fries. Welcome to the newbies and everyone have a great day!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Hi foodies!

I haven't been on in a while because my parents visited for a long weekend. It was great -- they got to see a lot in 4 days -- but it was also exhausting and I don't want to eat out for at least a week I miss them already though

Some of the things I ate over the long weekend:

oysters and oyster shooters
peel and eat shrimp with TONS of Old Bay
Seafood casserole
turkey reuben
green chile
supreme pizza and pizza with ham, pineapple, and mushrooms
chicken enchiladas with beans and rice
lots of beer and wine (of course!)

Last night, we finally cooked after my parents flew out. We made chicken tacos that were TO DIE FOR.

Here's what we did. Put two packages of chicken in the crockpot on high, with a big can (7.5 oz) of diced green chiles and a small can of diced jalapenos. Add about a cup of tequila (we added some Patron orange liquerer (sp??) on accident too) and some beer, and a package and a half of taco seasoning and the juice of a lime. Periodically mash the chicken breasts to break them up. After a few hours, they will shred all by themselves. We served the chicken on corn tortillas with lettuce, tomato, red onion, cilantro, corn and black bean salsa, light sour cream, and mexican cheese. And Zatarains red beans and rice on the side.

It was SO GOOD...........unfortunately, we had friends over to eat with us and we don't have any leftovers. Bummer.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Wow Highlands was just wondering where you were and all that sounds like a party for the senses. Thanks for the great recipe!!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 AM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,660 times
Hey Cynwldkat...congrats on going more than a month without smoking! Good luck going patchless.

I think for dinner tonight I'm going to have some cheese soup and a hot sandwich of some kind. For dessert I'll have some of my home made applesauce.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Here is a picture of a panko breadcrumb package.

File:PankoBreadcrumbsInABag.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use it in almost everything in lieu of regular bread crumbs. It is lighter and crunchier in my opinion.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
I as well am watching the Inauguration only wish my kids were here with me as this part of history in our great country is taking place. Whether we voted for Obama or not this is a step forward in our country that I am glad to be alive to witness.

Welcome to the new posters today!

YLisa that was nice of you to post what Panko is.

HG glad you got to see your parents some of that "eating out" foods sounds mighty good. Chicken tacos sounded awesome too.

cyn hang in there you have come a long way baby!

We are having BBQ pork ribs, crash potatoes, corn and a salad for our supper. Debated whether to use the oven or crockpot as our temps are just above zero again. Crockpot won out as I like the slow roast it will give while I am doing other stuff. Might think of a dessert I can fire up the oven for maybe.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Highlandsgirl - I put on 6lbs just reading your post!

Cyn - keep going - it gets easier, honestly!

Jax - "you have come a long way baby" didn't that used to be used in a TV ad for those long brown cigarettes in the 70's, can't remember the name...my mom smoked them - an ad directed at getting more women to smoke as a way of staying slim!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 AM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Morning all!! I didnt get to make that Goolosh last night.. I asked my wife if she would like to try it.. And she said anything with a name like that I'm not eating.. I told her my dad made it for years when I was growing up and its some of the best eats out there.. oh well. I did buy everthing I need so this weekend I will make it anyway.. Then when she smells it cooking Im sure she will change her mind..

Brings me to dinner tonight.. Few questions for anyone that would like to help..

When at the store yesterday I got the family pack of Pork Chops. Thats what I'm going to make tonight.. I also got a box of "seasoning & Coating mix" Or "Shake and bake" question, is on the back of the box under ingredients: it says it has 2% Silicon Dioxide, in it??? Dont know what that is.. But it dont sound very healty??

Next it says on the box, to moisten chops with an egg, then put 2 at a time in the bag and shake.. Makeing sure to discard any mixture remaining in the bag?? Why can't I just put like 5 chops in at once?? And why do I have to discard left over mixture before adding more chops??

One last thing it doesnt say to brown the chops on the stove first before bakeing them.. Is this something I should do?? Or just put them on the bakeing pan right out of the bag..

I never used this shake and bake stuff before so im confused.

Anyone with any good ideas on how I should handle this so everything comes out ok.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
John - Silicon Dioxide is a drying substance to keep the powder flowing and dry, it is inert and doesn't harm your body to eat it - tho you wouldn't want to inhale it!

Not sure why you can keep using the same powder, guess they mean don't keep it after the whole batch as it will contain raw meat residue..?

Re. the other questions... not sure! Someone will tell you soon....

Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 AM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
John - Silicon Dioxide is a drying substance to keep the powder flowing and dry, it is inert and doesn't harm your body to eat it - tho you wouldn't want to inhale it!

Not sure why you can keep using the same powder, guess they mean don't keep it after the whole batch as it will contain raw meat residue..?

Re. the other questions... not sure! Someone will tell you soon....
Thanks for the info.. southdown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink