Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have trouble getting a ripe avocado or bringing one to ripeness when I need it.....it seems I have thrown away a lot of avocados because when they were ready I wasn't or when I t hought they were ripe they were nasty brown inside. I do like avocado...but never got good at picking a good one....and I did live out in California whre people had them growing in their yards..... I have pretty much given up on fresh avocado.
I know what you mean - you have to plan your avocado timings carefully! Maybe you should try the banana & brown bag trick - it seems to work! Or buy them nearly ripe and keep in the fridge.

When you buy ripe ones make sure they are still firm, but not hard, and don't have any 'hollow' feeling patches. I have been known to ask assistants at the grocery store if the avacdoes are ripe or black inside and they are always happy to cut one open for me to check. Bet they curse me when I've gone tho

Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Tonight's dinner was strip steak and eggs with hash browns.

Tomorrow I'm planning something with crab cakes....

Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Just realize the deer are doing a number on my landscaping.....but they have to eat too. will look for replacements in the spring that are deer resistent. Whatever is growing in the woods must not be to their liking as my cedars are like an AYCE buffet for them.
There's lots in the Garden forum about that subject - they seem pretty keen on everything! Moderator cut: not a valid link

Tonight's enchiladas were a success, everyone scoffed them up

Last edited by Beretta; 01-26-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Well the Italian feast wasn't what I expected... there was NO PASTA!!! I couldn't believe it! I think one of the Italian Aunts might have dropped the ball.... someone forgot to make the pasta... that is a huge party NO NO! There was chicken, salad, potatoes, fruit salad, spinach with this amazing cheese sauce and cheese melted on top.... BUT they ran out of food!!!!!! I was shocked... Now...for all of you Italians out there.. you KNOW this is like a huge deal.... you DON'T run out of food! I couldn't believe it..... there wasn't enough for seconds.... now you all have heard, well read, about all the typical family parties I attend on his side with the never ending buffets.... well it was the UN-Italian Family Party. My husband was saying he just didn't know what happend. There was like whispers.... I was almost laughing. because it looked like a normal amount of food to me.....really..... there was SOME chicken left over.... but that was it... everything else was gone. That is just not acceptable. LOL.... this has NEVER happened in the 7 years I have been married into this family and the 8 I have been with my husband.... NEVER.... they have never run out of food.... I am laughing because you would have thought the world stopped spinning...... It wasn't like everyone didn't pig out for an hour on appetizers and such PRIOR to dinner..... omg.... it was crazy..... anyway..... two cakes- one chocolate and one lemon.... with ice cream- I didn't have any. But they looked good. I am tired and cold. Think I might get under the covers and watch some tv..... have a good night all.....

Old 01-25-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Hey all-long roasted hunk of sirloin/vegs was great-just salad on the side for me-biscuits for Mr L as "lookers" were here a very long time. Tired, drained, cold-night all!
That's a good sign - maybe they could smell your roast and were hoping for a dinner invite too

Off to bed for me, hope this cold is gone tomorrow, I'm exhausted with sneezing!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
HI ALL!!! Took a break for alittle while... Did you guys miss all my poll's.. Hope everyone is doing good... Still cold here in PA... 13' out there now.. I made BLT's for dinner tonight.. I havent had one in so long I forgot how good the little buggers taste. My wife orderd some new cook ware online... Can't wait for it to come in...

Hope all are having a good night.....

Lisa, took some time today to look over all your house pic's!! Very, very nice!!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
HI ALL!!! Took a break for alittle while... Did you guys miss all my poll's.. Hope everyone is doing good... Still cold here in PA... 13' out there now.. I made BLT's for dinner tonight.. I havent had one in so long I forgot how good the little buggers taste.
John, you may not have been dropping in lately, but you were clearly "channeling" this thread in absentia. Our Noma started talking about BLT's a day or two ago and got everyone drooling at the thought of them - then you come back and announce you're on the same wavelength.

There just must be something about food and friends that transcends mere electrons and pixels, because the folks in this thread are obviously in sync whether we actually stop in to read here or not.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
John, you may not have been dropping in lately, but you were clearly "channeling" this thread in absentia. Our Noma started talking about BLT's a day or two ago and got everyone drooling at the thought of them - then you come back and announce you're on the same wavelength.

There just must be something about food and friends that transcends mere electrons and pixels, because the folks in this thread are obviously in sync whether we actually stop in to read here or not.
The funny part is I didnt even read any of the past thread's.. I just stopped in... To say Hi to everyone... Whats that word Im looking for?? It was a song by someone to.. isnt it ....... oh I forget..

Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Good night everyone. Stay warm.

I got busy and still did not cook leftover spag. I hope it is still good. I actually did not eat anything. I just plain forgot. Doesn't happen that often.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:33 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Good morning all-been up since the unGodly hour of 3AM-mind is just spinning.

Oh would I love a BLT-haven't have bacon since June!!!! Is that un-American or what!

Hey John-you were missed.

Leftover roast tonight as hot sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink