Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times

Advertisements

VC dreamer, we have a super-easy Beef-Barley soup that we make often in the winter. Only potential drawback is that we start with leftover beef pot roast, the kind that has been roasted in the oven in one of those big black spatter-ware pans, and we use the extra roast plus the pan drippings as the basis. We save up the leftovers in zip-lock bags along with the pan juices and freeze them, until we have a couple-three pot roasts' worth of leftovers. Once you've got that part down, this is the recipe:

Beef-Barley Soup With Leftover Roast

Leftover pot roast plus any cooking juices
1 cup barley
6 cups of liquid: can be water, canned beef broth, or a mixture of both
1 or 2 carrots
1 onion
1 (10-oz) box of frozen peas, or green beans, or both

Dump the leftover pot roast and cooking juices into a Dutch oven. If it was frozen, you don't even need to defrost it; just peel off the bag and drop the frozen hunk in the pot. Add the barley and the 6 cups of liquid, and bring to a boil. Once the frozen meat is fully thawed, turn down the heat to low, cover, and simmer for at least half an hour.

Peel and cut up the carrots and onions, and add to the pot. Cover again and simmer another 20 minutes.

Add the frozen vegetables to the pot, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer. By the time the frozen vegetables are hot, the barley should have been cooking at least one full hour.

Serve with crusty bread.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Oh, yeah, that other thing - what we're having for supper tonight. Well, we had some leftover noodles with pesto from Friday night, when I was so tired, and I asked the spouse if he could make some sort of semi-minestrone-soup from that, rather than throw it out. His eyes lit up, and he started mumbling about tomatoes, onions, cannellini beans, Italian sausage, garlic, bell peppers, and assorted spices, while I sat back in quiet satisfaction watching the creative juices flow. And now I'm sitting in the living room, trying hard not to drool, while he works his culinary artistry in the kitchen. Gosh, but it's nice to be married to a gifted chef!

Today was a happy day; one of my staff called me this morning to announce that she had a healthy baby after an emergency c-section yesterday, and she and her husband are absolutely over the moon with joy at the arrival of their daughter. I went by the hospital to congratulate the happy family, and I don't think I've ever seen her look so happy; it's such a beautiful thing to see. I know I'll be a grandma officially some day, but until that happens, I just have to "borrow" other grandbabies.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:03 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
MWBW I think my biggest honor was when my cousin asked me to be with her & her husband when her first child was born. Her parents were deceased our family has dwindled from when we were growing up. She was so calm, never made a loud sound and I got to see her baby come out before her DH or MIL because they both fainted! Afterwards her SIL was upset because she wasn't in the room during birthing so 5 years later they let her witness their next child's birth. Wasn't a good experience the doctor had the SIL removed from the room.

A child is the best gift we are given no matter whose it is glad you got to celebrate a new life with them!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:19 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
As I wrote earlier today, I made Baked Nachos. Well, I put way too many Jalapenos on it. It was soooooo spicy hot. Lesson learned, only one Jalapeno!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Hi all...i am stuffed after eating and eating all weekend! Dinner Friday was calamari and mussels, and Saturday we went to a pizzeria and had wings, bruschetta, salad, and pizza.

Tonight was queso dip, jerk chicken wings, smoked ribs, shrimp cocktail, buffalo chicken dip, mac salad, spinach salad, and peppermint brownies.

I must've gained 5 lbs. this weekend. Detox this week...after a goodbye sushi dinner tomorrow night!!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Everyone's meals sound super! I had some rotisserie chicken. Not much, just wasn't hungry. My throat has been bothering me and I am getting a bit hypochondriac-ish about it. Unfortunately, my med ins. is in NV and I don't know if I can use it here in MI. Will inquire about that tomorrow.

Oh, I did have a slider from TGIFridays today. It was good, not a real fan of the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, a little too sweet for me.

Sweet dreams, everyone!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:17 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Dinner tonight was supposed to be salmon, but it turned out to be blackened flounder with rice, peas, and salad. Desert was chocolate ice cream with a cap of Kahlua and whipped cream on top, and I just had a couple tortillas with shredded pork and melted jalapeno cheddar for a midnight snack.

I think that's it for tonight....

Old 02-02-2009, 04:46 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
We had teriaki steak, rice, mashed potato, frozen peas.....simple and good. I dont yet have a clue about tonight......it is going to be busy here today.....we are having 5 rooms painted and the painter arrives this morning around 8...(I am not sure when he is doing the kitchen, but not today I am sure.)

My microwave is on the blink.....the only functions that work are the 30 second quick heat and the special cook settings like baked potato, melt butter etc. ; I think there is another month on the original warrantee. (I am too lazy to go look up the spelling but I know that isnt right.)

Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Oh Elston-isn't that the way-at least you have a month left.

Leftover turkey tonight-hot turkey sand. with fries and corn for Mr. L, salad with mine.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:12 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
LEFT OVER PIZZA AND WINGS!!!!!! I don't have to cook tonight

Last night: We made total pigs of ourselves last night. Had my parents over and made that onion bacon dip for my dad, filet mignon bites wrapped in peppered bacon for the guys, veggie tray, berries, chips, green been fries with wasabi dip, tons of desserts, goldfish for the kids, and I know I am missing a few things.... but it was a total munch fest.... They guys DOWNED the filet mignon bites.... I knew they would. Hubby loves them.... I am just not a red meat person at all and then add the bacon and I can't even try it. But there was so much food.

Elston, I am so sorry about your nuker.... I would be lost without mine. I hope it is nothing major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink