Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 08:16 AM
bjh

59,919 posts, read 30,248,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Think about attending Amber's baby's high school graduation, or watching that newest granddaughter go off to her senior prom, and think of how robust and strong and healthy you'll still be then - it's worth every moment of nicotine craving you can resist to get there.
Very well put, as usual!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,239,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good morning all-

Congrats Cyn on no smoking. You are doing great. How are the cravings? Are they gone?

We are snowed in and I am low on eggs and bread. I would make bread later but with our diets I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Fresh hot bread and diets don't mix, lol.

Baked Chicken Legs for my DH. I have no idea what I am having. Does anyone know what to do with Polenta? I have some in the fridge.
The cravings are still there, sadly. Not nearly as often or as intense but they linger on....sigh.......I have been told this is normal but will get better with time. My DH stopped smoking nearly a year ago and still has cravings. At least now it's not the number one thought I have---it's more like just once in awhile it will cross my mind.....
MWBW--these are the thoughts that keep me strong!! Thanks for reminding me!!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 02-23-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,801,097 times
Hi Kelsie-great pork recipe! Will be headed to hosp shortly, will know more then as he doesn't want me calling!

Neighbor, who's a nurse, just gave me great advice-to bring his hosp. and doc records with us to NJ-just in case. She feels if he's on strong antibiotics for the whole trip all will be well. I'll just have to force myself to drink his evening martini for him.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,844,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
The cravings are still there, sadly. Not nearly as often or as intense but they linger on....sigh.......I have been told this is normal but will get better with time. My DH stopped smoking nearly a year ago and still has cravings. At least now it's not the number one thought I have---it's more like just once in awhile it will cross my mind.....
MSBW--these are the thoughts that keep me strong!! Thanks for reminding me!!
Cyn.... even though I have never smoked... I do come from a long line of smokers. My grandfather stopped when I was VERY young. My father, as I have said has tried many a time in my life- and he only smokes outside. But my grandfather (who left us almost five years ago) would go outside and stand upwind from my father while he would have a cig just so he could get a whiff of the smoke. He didn't ever smoke but he loved that smell.... it was like his "fix".... so I understand what you are saying. My father always gets going and then falls off he wagon because he thinks he can have a cigar... because they aren't the "same thing"... but then he falls right back into the same path.... It isn't easy and we all struggle right along with him as we watch fight it and then fall.... You are doing great things FOR your family by quitting... for YOU and your FUTURE.... great job CYN.... I wish my dad would.... I do know it isn't easy. He has given up other vices in his life and he has said Smoking by far is the MOST difficult (drinking and sugar are nothing compared to it).... so you are a big winner here

Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,230,708 times
Thank you Lacey, the pork comes out moist and tender, searing it at 400 and then roasting at the lower temp. And always a side of applesauce to go with the pork & garlic mashed potatoes.

Be careful driving out there. Good advice about taking Mr. L's records to NJ.

I am making hm turkey pot pies for dinner tonight. I will put one in dry ice and send it out to you friend.

Please send good thoughts and hugs to your dh, & get someone to pump your gas before you run out. I would be stranded on the side of the road by now.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,239,249 times
Thanks so much skbs and I pray your father will someday be able to rid himself of this horrible smoking habit. It is hard and at least he tries!
Great idea lacey about taking DH's medical records with you. I think your neighbor is probably right about your hubby being on antibiotics and being ok. He will not be stressed and I am sure the whole family will make sure he is doing what he should be doing to stay well!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,018,370 times
Perogies, kelbasa, and spanish. Dessert? I am lazy today so maybe ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 AM

12,014 posts, read 11,257,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
My goodness! This sure has turned into one chatty, happy dinner table full of foodie friends!! It is fun! The best part is cooking is not nearly as boring as it use to be for me. So many here enjoy cooking so much and really have wonderful ideas that I can't help but get excited!!
We are all grateful to you for starting this thread!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Morning all.
I have a two pound "center cut boneless pork loin roast" from Sprout's.
What should I do with it?
Season the outside with a rub and roast that baby!!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 AM

47,945 posts, read 21,921,471 times
I just made a pot of French Onion Soup....this is a new endeavor for me.....from tasting I can tell it is delicous. It will be a nice lunch for a snowy day.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,963,129 times
Good morning!

Just leftover stuffed red peppers this evening. Boy, did I get a stomach last night from that. Hopefully, there will be none after eating it again. Actually, there is nothing left in me to let out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink