Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 09:32 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times

Advertisements

we're having corned beef and cabbage, but the stew recipe sounds good!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:59 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Default Guinesses Corned Beef and Cabbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Gee, everybodys dinners sound really good. Seems everyones in the cooking mood! I'm with you today LaseyEx--good old corned beef. I've never cooked it in beer--do you use the beer instead of water to cover it when you cook it? And I usually saute my cabbage in onions and butter--maybe I'll try the beer, bacon and onions. Could you post how you do this--you know, how much of each item? Thanks. Everyone have a great St Pat's Day!! Are you all wearing green today?
Cyn Here is a corned beef recipe that was posted on the Maine forum using Guinnesses Stout. The poster calls herself "Bewitched". She also posted my Irish Stew recipe. Note: Guinnesses is a different "animal" than beer and its flavor is worth the extra money for 1 bottle. I made this and it was delicious. I would caution not to skip the step of rinsing and drying the beef at the start--I didnt do it and mine was a bit too salty! The spices it calls for are heavenly!

Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage

4 lbs corned beef brisket
1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout , draught
1 medium yellow onion , peeled and cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic , minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 head cabbage , cut into wedges
6 medium white potatoes , peeled and quartered
1-2 lb carrots , peeled and sliced

Rinse corned beef under cold water, and pat dry.
In a large pot with a cover, brown corned beef well on all sides over high heat.
Pour Guinness over the meat, and add enough water to just cover the brisket.
Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and pepper to the pot.
Bring pot to a boil and skim off any foam.
Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 3 hours.
Add carrots, then potatoes and then the cabbage wedges to the pot.
Cover pot, and continue cooking until meat and vegetables are tender (about 20-30 minutes).
Remove meat and vegetables to warm serving platter, and cover with foil to keep warm, leaving liquid in the pot.
Over high heat, bring the cooking liquid to a boil, and cook until the amount of liquid is reduced by half (about 10 minutes).
Serve meat and vegetables with the sauce on the side.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:05 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Elston that sounds delicious. Unfortunately mine is simmering as I write but I will do this next time.

One more week-are you beyond excited?!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Now I am starving after reading these stew recipes. Ya know, I guess I am gonna make stew for dinner.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Not sure what we'll do for dinner tonight.....do you suppose the leftover veggies from the corned beef could be turned into some kind of soup? We had friends over and our 4 lbs. corned beef is all but gone.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
I had some "free time" (yeah, what's that???LOL) and made roast beef (Sauerbraten) with mashed taters and green beans.
Turned out awesome.
Leftovers will be open faced roast beef sandwiches tonight.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Cod in a herb, olive oil, argan oil and lemon marinade with purple sprouting broccoli and red cabbage cooked with apples.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,860 times
Made some red chilie and cubed up some pork, pork I cooked off first, then added to my red chilie, going to eat it with tortillas and sour cream or make stacked enchiladas, not sure yet. so many varibles to build from my base....could also make tamales too hmmmm

Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Not sure what we'll do for dinner tonight.....do you suppose the leftover veggies from the corned beef could be turned into some kind of soup? We had friends over and our 4 lbs. corned beef is all but gone.
I'd make hash! I think they will be too well done to make soup.?????? I'd go with hash and if there isnt any beef to chop in with the veggies.....if there is even a little piece beef chop it up with the veggies. I like it just vegetable...but could get a can of corn beef or some deli corned or roast beef. You could even chop up kielbasa or brats for hash. I love hash!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Elston that sounds delicious. Unfortunately mine is simmering as I write but I will do this next time.

One more week-are you beyond excited?!
I am sure that your boiled dinner will be delicious!

I am very very excited and still busy. I got some large framed pictures packed today; they are a bit tricky to do--and the pro's said they would charge up to $40 each to do them......so I will do it my self said the little red rooster. It think I did a good job of it and expect they will come thru in fine shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink