Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 07:36 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times

Advertisements

Lacey I have not seen snow, except in pictures, for almost 12 years now. I am the happiest camper without snow, or cold weather for that matter. I'd rather sweat like a oynk.

We were going to visit NC last Thanksgiving but my bf, who has never seen snow or been in temperatures below 50 degrees, said NO WAY. It's cold at that time of year. We'll be going this year in late September. I want to see the leaves turning. Planning to be in Asheville or Blowing Rock.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 AM

207 posts, read 704,815 times
Wow, that grilled haddock recipe sounds good. As for grouper, I've never had it. What does it taste like? I am a seafood lover so I'm sure I would likely love it.

Anyway, here is my new favorite way to prepare seafood quickly. I usually like to marinate seafood for 1-2 hours as I like my food to have some flavor. However, when I don't have time to marinade I will use this recipe as it still has lots of flavor in it.

Ingredients: fish, brushetta, mozzarella cheese

preheat oven to 400%
Take a piece of firm fish (salmon, tilapia, catfish) & place it in a medium sized casserole dish.
Sprinkle it with a a few dashes of salt, pepper & garlic powder.
Spread brushetta all over fish
Top with Mozzarella cheese ( I have also use a good parmesan instead of mozzarella)
Cover with aluminum foil & cook for 18-20 minutes. Uncover & cook another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
yummy

Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,973 times
our meatloaf----1 1/2 lbs hamburger, chopped onions, chopped bellpeppers, chopped garlic, bread torn into small pieces ( 1 or 2 slices) 1/2 jar salsa (medium hot) 1 egg- mix together and shape into loaf and slather with ketchup- bake at 350. for about 45 min

Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Burdell-yep milk soaked bread (squeezed), panko bread crumbs and sometimes oatmeal. I use 1 egg per pound of meat. I also add Lipton's On/Mushroom soup packet and some horseradish,ketchup, dijon mustard, worstershire, garlic powder, parsley.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
That 7 layer sounds incredible...thanks for sharing that!

My meatloaf comes out different every time;
I usually use ground beef
garlic powder
seasoned salt
sometimes a touch of basil
bread crumbs
egg
cheddar cheese
onion
shape into pan
a little barbeque sauce on the top and cook 325 for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how much burger.

My Other Meatloaf recipe is called Chili Meatloaf and Potato casserole which is always a hit

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup saltines or I like oyster crackers crushed
1 egg slightly beaten
3 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup mexican cheese sometimes I just add what I have in the house

Potato Topping
3 cups prepared mashed potatoes
1 can Mexicorn (whole kernal corn with red and green peppers drained)
1-1 1/2 cups mexican/taco cheese

Mix meatloaf and place in 9" square baking pan. Cook on 325 for 45 minutes or until no longer pink.
Meanwhile in medium bowl (or I just use the potato pan)
add cheese and drained corn to potato.
When meatloaf is done, take out of oven and then set oven to broil
Spread potato mixture over meatloaf

Put under broiler until golden brown.

Sooo good!

Last edited by crazyworld; 04-25-2008 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Meat Loaves:

I used to grate a raw potatoe and add it to my meat loaf.....cant really remember why or what it did for the loaf....other than to stretch the meat to feed the family....I think that was the idea behind oatmeal or bread crumbs cracker crumbs etc etc Then sometimes it is what is on hand. The other day I didnt have crumbs or oatmeal and I added some left over rice.....it was good! I often cook "by gosh and by gory" and what needs to be used up, just like my mom did.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Meat Loaves:

I used to grate a raw potatoe and add it to my meat loaf.....cant really remember why or what it did for the loaf....other than to stretch the meat to feed the family....I think that was the idea behind oatmeal or bread crumbs cracker crumbs etc etc Then sometimes it is what is on hand. The other day I didnt have crumbs or oatmeal and I added some left over rice.....it was good! I often cook "by gosh and by gory" and what needs to be used up, just like my mom did.

I like the "by gosh and by gory" , I usually refer to it as the TLAR method, aka ThatLooksAboutRight.

When my Mom was alive whenever I asked for a recipe I'd get some scrawls that never varied much from take some of this and a little of that and season as you like and cook 'til done. Every once in a while I refine the method by waving a cook book over the pot

Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I like the "by gosh and by gory" , I usually refer to it as the TLAR method, aka ThatLooksAboutRight.

When my Mom was alive whenever I asked for a recipe I'd get some scrawls that never varied much from take some of this and a little of that and season as you like and cook 'til done. Every once in a while I refine the method by waving a cook book over the pot
LOL That was how my grandmother cooked. She owned a restaurant and when she passed away we received all her "cookbooks" that sound just like your mother's recipes. She made this fantastic coffee cake that to this day no one can replicate because she left half of the ingredients off or it was a little of this and a little of that. ARGH!!!

I apparently did not inherit any of her cooking abilities as I have to have a recipe.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
LOL That was how my grandmother cooked. She owned a restaurant and when she passed away we received all her "cookbooks" that sound just like your mother's recipes. She made this fantastic coffee cake that to this day no one can replicate because she left half of the ingredients off or it was a little of this and a little of that. ARGH!!!

I apparently did not inherit any of her cooking abilities as I have to have a recipe.

Grandmother's can be amazing. One of mine had this huge, cast-iron coal/wood burning stove in the kitchen, no controls, timers, fans or anything else, just a hunk of hot iron yet meals at her house were always a treat

Old 04-25-2008, 09:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Cyn that sounds very easy. It's true too. You just reminded me. Cubans make meatloaf with ground beef, ground pork and some ground ham too. Then they also "insert" a sausage type thing called "chorizo" in the center.
Hummmmm...

Did you get the bf's black beans recipe? Think you'll make it?
Yes I did and thank you. I put it in my recipe file! Sounds wonderful. I can't add anything to spicy because hubbie has a problem with to hot---darn--I love spicy!! But I can just omit anything that sounds like it may be to hot for him. I will be trying this recipe and will post it when I do. Maybe in a day or two. Need to go to the store and pick up some odds and ends that I need for the recipe. Since we were gone for 5 days I emptied out my fridge so nothing would go bad and now it's empty---time to refill it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink