Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Highlandsgal - Have you ever tried to brine the shrimp? I made this yesterday as compared to a shrimp scampi(all on the grill). The brined shrimp was much better, I was really surprised. Kids and wife all really liked the brined shrimp much better than the scampi, I'm not much count as I'll eat what ever(I did try one each side by side and was impressed)

I'll probably always brine my shrimp now, easy too.

I only brined for bout 30min and from what I read on the net that is bout right(20-30min).

My brine:
1/4 C kosher salt
1/4 C sugar
1 C water
2 C ice
Some dill, garlic pwdr, blk pepper, and I knew I threw in some other stuff to heat it up just a tad, probably cayenne. Just a little of all, but came out good. I just skewered and grilled. The kids like the "meat on a stick" that I've been doing lately.

Anyway, just an idea that we liked.

Would you mind post'n your garlic shrimp? Thanks
Hmmm....CaveMan, that brining sounds interesting! I've never done that before, I'll let you know if I give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

As far as the garlic shrimp, not really a recipe....I just saute the shrimp in a little evoo and butter, with lots of garlic and red pepper flakes, and then when they are opaque I give a splash of lemon juice and top with chopped parsley.....mix with your favorite cooked pasta and a little pasta water if you are so inclined..... Enjoy!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Thanks Gal, sounds similar to how I do my scampi for the grill.

I thought a brine on shrimp would be wrong, until I watched Alton Brown on you tube. Tried it and they liked it.

Thanks again for the garlic shrimp idea.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,112 times

Whatever you are having tonight "bob appetit"!

I am having soup. Brrrrrrrrrrr...rainy, windy in nYc today.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
Happy Belated Mother's Day to everyone!
I was not on the computer yesterday at all, miserable weather here in E. NC, yesterday and today. I treated myself to a well-deserved manicure and pedicure yesterday, and made poached freshly caught Mackerel with a garlic, ginger soy Asian sauce, fresh green beans steamed with garlic butter & shallots, and turmeric yellow rice. Yummo!!
Tonight will be chicken Marsala, oven gold roasted potatoes and roasted asparagus with tri-colored peppers and shallots and garlic.
Have a great night everyone.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Made an olive tapenade (variety of olives, garilic, capers, anchovy, red pepper, black pepper, EVOO, thru the food processor), will toss with sliced sausage and pasta, top with cheese and dinner's ready

Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Pizza and salad tonight-too tired, burned out to think of anything else. It's so cold and windy here have to put bricks in my shoes.
Boy, Lacey, I am having one of those days myself!

I tried to talk my DH into one of my favorites tonight - "The Week in Review", which is all of the leftovers from the past several days. You get to see it all over again!

That was nixed, so it will be baked tilapia topped with Vidalia onion slices drizzled with olive oil and a little Bay Seasoning. Some parmesan angel hair pasta and a spinach salad with bacon and chopped hard boiled eggs and sweet and sour dressing.

Hubby is happy!

Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers.

Wife said not to go overboard, too late. We are have'n chicken thighs brined and then grilled, beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon smoked/grilled, grilled shrimp scampi, brined shrimp and mushroom k-bobs on the grill, spagetti, jas. rice, fresh corn on the cob(frozen from last yr, better than groc store).

Small portions, taste of everything. I have a different idea for plate'n the spagetti, we will see how that turns out.

Kids are make'n a menu and mothers day cards. I'll have everything ready when they get home from church so the kids and I can cook and plate in 1/2hr. I'll be cleaning house while their at church, can't wait
Wow, Capt. Cave Man, I want to be your momma! Sounds wonderful.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:51 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Gem-that's really ambitious-make me feel like a slacker.

Can't wait to get back East in June and get fresh seafood. This frozen from China just doesn't cut it.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
Lacey/Gem, I know where you are at, last Wed. evening I was about to answer a email here when I needed something from the other room, I successfully tripped over the floor fan left knee right into the fan, left ankle under the fan, fell back hit my head on the wall. What a mess, needless to say, I did not get to answer that email that night.
Gem, sounds delicious and tiring, I am fortunate I could serve dh dirt and he would eat it lol
burdell, could you email me that recipe, it is making me hungry again.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Have I shared this with you Guys? I made it tonight, and wondered. Good, and e-a-s-y.

Chicken Breasts in Foil Pouches

4-6 skinless chicken breasts (smaller breasts work best, or cut very large ones in 1/2)
1 pkg. Stove-Top stuffing mix
handful fresh mushrooms
1 - 1 1/2 Cup(s) frozen green peas
1 can cream of mushroom soup
salt and pepper, other seasonings to taste

Prepare 4 -6 foil sheets (as many as you have chicken breasts), approximately 10" x 14" or so. Lay out on counter top.

Prepare stuffing mix, according to package directions -- generally 3 Tbs butter or margarine, and water, but reduce water to 1 1/2 Cups. Divide stuffing onto foil sheets, and place one chicken breast on each. Top with sliced mushrooms (about 1/4 C each, or 2-3 large mushrooms, sliced), 1/4 C frozen peas each. Salt and pepper to taste, and add any other seasonings you may like -- sage, rosemary, thyme, for example. Mix can of mushroom soup with 1/4 C water and spoon on top of each breast, evenly distributing soup between the 4-6 foil pouches.

Pull up the sides of the foil to make pouches, sealing the ends, and folding-over the tops to secure. Place on a cookie sheet, or other baking pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees. Chicken is done at an internal temperature of about 160 degrees.

Note: you can vary the veggies. I have written the original recipe here, but my husband detests peas. Frozen, or fresh broccoli florets work nicely, too.

Nice that the pouch has everything for the meal! I make either a green dinner salad, or a fruit salad, to accompany it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink