Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 08:44 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I gotta ask because I keep seeing it and I don't think I know what it is exactly.

What is crusty bread?

It's almost Friday, not quite, but it will be. Just give it some time.

I posted this in a Recipe section thread but if you'd like a super easy, homemade example of crusty bread do a search for "Sullivan St Bakery No-Knead Bread".

One caveat, the original article was a little light on the salt measurment, look to see if it's been corrected in other articles, I can't remember the measurment.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
cheese omelette with sausage, salad, brocolli.
(virtual reality formal diiner on CD cruise, cd beginners our home thread served at 6 pm,
lobster red salmon with macaroni & with baked alaska)

Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I posted this in a Recipe section thread but if you'd like a super easy, homemade example of crusty bread do a search for "Sullivan St Bakery No-Knead Bread".

One caveat, the original article was a little light on the salt measurment, look to see if it's been corrected in other articles, I can't remember the measurment.

Burdell, I'll look but just a heads-up: Did you say H O M E M A D E????

And bread no less!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Burdell, I'll look but just a heads-up: Did you say H O M E M A D E????

And bread no less!

Yep! And believe me, I enjoy food so have no choice but to do some cooking, but I'm no baker. Baking is a much miore demanding discipline requiring precise measurment and timing. I'm much more comfortable cooking with the some of this and a little if that and go 'til it tastes good method

But this bread is seriously easy, requires planning ahead as you let it rise overnight, virtually no work but mixing the ingredients together and popping into the oven, and comes out as a fine example of 'crusty bread'.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Quote:
Yep! And believe me, I enjoy food so have no choice but to do some cooking, but I'm no baker. Baking is a much miore demanding discipline requiring precise measurment and timing. I'm much more comfortable cooking with the some of this and a little if that and go 'til it tastes good method

But this bread is seriously easy, requires planning ahead as you let it rise overnight, virtually no work but mixing the ingredients together and popping into the oven, and comes out as a fine example of 'crusty bread'.
You said easy?!! I'll definitely have to try it since, usually, my baking skills are sorely lacking!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
You said easy?!! I'll definitely have to try it since, usually, my baking skills are sorely lacking!
Believe me, if I can bake bread anybody can. The only thing I'm not sure of is what changes would be needed to allow for baking in high elevation locations.

It's flour, salt, yeast, water, couldn't be any simpler.

Results in a dough so loose and sticky you'll figure no way this is gonna work but wonder of wonders........................it does!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
I had it saved in my favorites but must have deleted. Burdell is tight-all you have to do is look at the picture and you'll be craving this bread!!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I had it saved in my favorites but must have deleted. Burdell is tight-all you have to do is look at the picture and you'll be craving this bread!!!!!

Tight? I honestly don't usually open the wine or crank-up the blender 'til at least 5PM

Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Quote:
Believe me, if I can bake bread anybody can. The only thing I'm not sure of is what changes would be needed to allow for baking in high elevation locations.

It's flour, salt, yeast, water, couldn't be any simpler.

Results in a dough so loose and sticky you'll figure no way this is gonna work but wonder of wonders........................it does!

Well, I'm realy close to sea level so no worries there!

Now I'm excited, since just last week I ordered a dutch oven that I'll have to put to use (no, I didn't splurge on a LeCrueset, just couldn't afford it...ordered a 6.5 qt Tramontina from Walmart).

Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Burdell I am going to try that bread, not today, but maybe this weekend. Sounds easy. I usually make dough in my bread machine and then shape into a boule or baguette myself. This sounds even easier. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink