Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,606,564 times

Advertisements

Homemade pizza

Old 07-30-2008, 05:24 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,331,271 times
Leftovers. Sweet tea. Chocolate pudding.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:52 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,194,309 times
I just put a couple of bottom round steaks into the fridge to defrost. I've been thinking of chicken fried steak since Cyn mentioned them yesterday. LOL.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 AM

47,927 posts, read 21,914,544 times
Last night was a simple last minute idea.....I browned some frozen hamburg patties and cut up a big onion. Made a gravy and added a pint of sour cream and paparika and parsley and served it on noodles. It was really good "comfort food".

Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,715,660 times
Elston...I bet you could dress up cardboard and make it sound and taste delish!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,421,817 times
I made another yummy recipe inspired by 365 Ways to Cook Pasta last night. (I never follow a recipe very close to the letter.. )

It's been so hot here.. 101-105.. That I didn't want to cook too much. So I found this recipe where you basically make marinated mushrooms and throw them on pasta after an hour or two. I also added a little goat cheese, diced up salami, and cherry tomatoes.

I don't know what we're doing tonight. I have boneless skinless chicken thighs.. suggestions anybody, for a good summer night meal?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,039,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

I don't know what we're doing tonight. I have boneless skinless chicken thighs.. suggestions anybody, for a good summer night meal?
How about threading it on skewers with some veggies and making kebobs on the grill or under the broiler? then serve it over rice....

Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM

424 posts, read 1,671,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Here are a few ideas:

1. Make a satay sauce for them, marinate in it, then grill, broil, or bake them. A quick satay sauce is peanut butter, some teriyaki sauce, a little chinese cooking wine or vinegar, some red pepper flakes or cayenne, some lightly cooked onion (until translucent), garlic (powder and/or minced) and some sugar. If you don't have teriyaki sauce, just use some soy sauce, ground ginger, and garlic.

2. Wrap the thighs in bacon, marinate in a little teriyaki sauce (see above), or other marinade of choice (Italian dressing, Moore's marinade, Dale's, etc.) and grill, bake, or broil.

3. Make some Maryland chicken...OK, there are several variations going by this name. Basically, dip and bread the chicken in seasoned flour. Cook partially by frying until lightly browned (just enough to set the crust well) in oil, or preferably a mixture of oil and/or butter and/or bacon drippings for extra flavor. Put chicken in a baking dish (sprinkle some paprika on top if you like) and cook covered at 375°F for about 30 to 40 minutes (depending on thickness of chicken pieces) until done (internal temperature of 180°F or so...maybe a bit less). You can also elevate the chicken a bit on a small rack or some canning rings so the grease will drain away from the chicken. The chicken will be very flavorful; the oven cooking causes much of the fat and oil to cook out of the chicken, but the chicken will be juicy and tender since the final step actually steams it.

4. Cut a slit in the side of each thigh, stuff with cooked onions and mushrooms or some ham and cheese, and then bake. If the thighs are also skinless, be sure to baste or lard them so they will not dry out.

5. Mix some dry Italian dressing mix with you usual flour seasoning, garlic, cayenne, and some breadcrumbs, and then bake or fry.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,194,309 times
Great ideas, Buckhead!

Here are a few more:

Pollo asada:

Marinade:

3/4 c. EVOO
4T. lime juice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch scallions, (including greens), diced
1 c. wine
dash of chili powder or red pepper flakes

Combine marinade ingredients, above. Place chicken in marinade for at least 8 hours, (overnight when possible). Place chicken and marinade into baking dish and bake til chicken is done. For something different, can skewer chicken and alternate chicken pieces w/ shrimp and BBQ. Serve with rice.

Grilled Chicken Adobo

1 c. soy sauce
2 c. water
1/4 c. rice vinegar
2 Tbsp honey
2 tsp minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1.5# boneless, skinless chicken thighs

In a large pot, mix together soy sauce, water, vinegar, honey, garlic, bay leaves, and pepper. Bring to a boil and add chicken to the pot. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Remove chicken, drain on paper towels, set aside. Discard bay leaves. Return mixture to a boil and cook until reduced by 25%. Grill chicken and serve with remaining marinade mixture. Serve over white rice.

Sweet N Sour Chicken (I'm making this tomorrow night with chicken cutlets.)

Bread chicken in flavored bread crumbs and lay flat in baking dish. Pour duck sauce over chicken, so chicken is completely covered and will not dry out during baking. (I use Dai Day brand. Can also use Saucy Susan or similar.) Bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through. Place chicken on platter. Add sliced peaches and apricots on top. Add parsley, basil or oregano to garnish.

Edit: The Sweet N Sour Chicken is much more sweet than sour, so I make a plain side dish with it, ie plain whipped potatoes or plain white rice.

Last edited by CheyDee; 07-30-2008 at 08:34 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,842,863 times
I need a quick and easy one today as I am going to be very busy... Daughter has Karate tonight...looks like Prego and Pasta, along with a quick tossed salad, and a veg... my old standby ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink