Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times

Advertisements

Hi all.....................I am on vacation but am stopping in to share a recipe. This came out of my Weight Watchers cookbook BUT my (very thin) husband loved it. I believe the only thing diet about it is the portion:

Turkey Cutlets with Cranberry Sauce

4 3-oz. turkey cutlets
seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons canola or olive oil
1onion chopped
1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon red-wine vinegar
pinch of crushed red pepper or green peppercorns ( I used crushed red because never heard of green ones.)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 cup PLUS 2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
1 Tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoons water

1. On a sheet of waxed paper sprinkle cutlets with salt and pepper on both sides. In large skillet, heat the oil, saute' the turkey and onion until cooked through 5-7 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate.

In the same skillet, combine the cranberry juice, brown sugar, vinegar, peppercorns and thyme..bring to a boil. Stir in the cranberries. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch : bring to a boil. Cook stirring constantly until thickened about 1 minute.

Cover the turkey........ENjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:40 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchTigerHiddenDog View Post
Pintos seasoned with ham and slow cooked overnight.
Homemade bread with slathered butter.
I hope ya had some sweet tea. Next time how about adding a side of collard greens? Ham & Beans are sooooo gooooood

Old 08-06-2008, 05:44 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Nomadicus, when you make sweet tea....do you start with a small amount of water and sugar--bring to boil to disolve sugar, add lots of tea bags and a pinch of baking soda.....let it cool and then put in a pitcher, add cold water and serve over ice?

I am not southern but put that formula together and it seems to work fine. Before that I used to just make tea and try to add lots and lots of sugar and stir and stir and stir........never worked.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Nomadicus, when you make sweet tea....do you start with a small amount of water and sugar--bring to boil to disolve sugar, add lots of tea bags and a pinch of baking soda.....let it cool and then put in a pitcher, add cold water and serve over ice?

I am not southern but put that formula together and it seems to work fine. Before that I used to just make tea and try to add lots and lots of sugar and stir and stir and stir........never worked.
We actually use very little sugar in our sweet tea. We brew it, add the extra water, just enough sugar to take any bitter edge off. We really don't like it to sweet or syrupy. Time was when we did. To wean ourselves of the sugar we used 1 teaspoon less each pitcher until we got it down next to nothing. We also sometimes use just a little bit of Splenda. We will try the sugar Splenda mix next I think to see how that works. After all sugar goes better with milk chocolate in a pie ya know.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We actually use very little sugar in our sweet tea. We brew it, add the extra water, just enough sugar to take any bitter edge off. We really don't like it to sweet or syrupy. Time was when we did. To wean ourselves of the sugar we used 1 teaspoon less each pitcher until we got it down next to nothing. We also sometimes use just a little bit of Splenda. We will try the sugar Splenda mix next I think to see how that works. After all sugar goes better with milk chocolate in a pie ya know.
What distinguishes your sweet tea from just plain iced tea with a little sugar?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:59 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Mussels are absolutely delicious and beautiful. They add so much to those french and italian and spanish sea food soups where the shell fish are in the broth in the shell. (bouillabaise or cioppolli ????)

I think you probably mean cioppino? Not sure if that's Italian or a North Beach SF creation but I agree, mussels are good stuff.

There used to be a little hole-in-the-wall hot dog/burger joint near me that also served mussels in a spicy hot marinara sauce, with crusty bread for mop up duty and an icy cold beer it was a fine meal indeed

Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think you probably mean cioppino? Not sure if that's Italian or a North Beach SF creation but I agree, mussels are good stuff.

There used to be a little hole-in-the-wall hot dog/burger joint near me that also served mussels in a spicy hot marinara sauce, with crusty bread for mop up duty and an icy cold beer it was a fine meal indeed
cioppino that would be it......

yes in the marinara sauce....bread.....goood stuff.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
What distinguishes your sweet tea from just plain iced tea with a little sugar?
H'm, I guess the fact that I made it. Never really thought about it to be honest. We have for the last h'm well lets say a few decades just made tea ever how we needed to. For the longest time the wife had an old enamel sauce pot maybe a quart and a half size that she brewed the tea bags in after the water would boil. She never use a brillo are detergent on the tea pot. Just washed it in hot water only. Her mother taught her that if you scrubed it would ruin the tea. Of course we learned that was the case the hard way. Until recently we used to use a 16 oz measuring cup in the micro wave to heat the water for 5 mins and then add the bags and let them brew that way. I really think the term sweet tea to us means that it has had some sweetner of some sort added at some point in the process. Maybe a professional chef could point out a technical difference but that would be a new lesson for me. What I'm agitating for is a professional tea brewing machine like the coffee makers. One day I'm getting one. Probably after the move in a year or so. One less item to pack. Here I set working off the Mango Key Lime Pie. Boy that was good. Have you got any ideas on the technical def of sweet tea? Lemon is always an option too. Not often but sometimes.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:12 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Mussels-are the ultimate after clams,crab,lobster. My fave is mussels in marinara spicy. Oh I need a NJ fix-NOW!!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
H'm, I guess the fact that I made it. Have you got any ideas on the technical def of sweet tea? Lemon is always an option too. Not often but sometimes.
I've been wondering about that myself-figured it was self explanatory, but guess not. It is considered sweet tea if it's sweetened at some point in the making before it is chilled.
Sweet tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink