Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I am making shrimp tonight. Haven't decided how, any suggestions would be welcomed.
perhaps you could put them in Nomadicus' red gravy and serve them with fried grits.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
Thank you Elston. I didn't p/u grits when I was shopping yesterday, so I will have to think of something else. It is going to be 100 again today so maybe an Asian stir-fry. Thank you for the rep., I am putting in my order for more mussels we ate like little pigs half a loaf of crusty Italian bread and 2 lbs of mussels last night, amazing. They were so good.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
This chicken chow mein is on hold again!!!!!!!!!! Had so much fun at local Cheers last night we're going back.

Tomorrow for sure!!!!!!!!!

Kelsie-our son sent me 5lbs last year and we ate them all, just DH and I!!!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I have boneless chicken thighs in the crock pot. We're going to have chicken soft tacos with guacamole and plain yogurt (for sour cream) for dinner.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:32 AM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I have to confess that our favorite "recipe" for tamales is to go to the little Mexican grocery down on Monona Drive and buy the home-made ones they have there. Seriously, seriously yummy.

We lived for close to two decades about 15 miles from the Mexican border, and a lot of the people we knew and worked with made tamales every year. It was a traditional Christmas dish in that region, and many families had a tamale-reunion type gathering every year.

The thing with tamales is that if you're going to go to all the trouble to make a dozen of the things, you might as well make a dozen dozen while you're at it. It's about the same amount of work either way.

Our friends in the Rio Grande Valley would gather all generations of the family together for a tamale marathon. It started with stewing or barbequeing the meat down to the point of being in shreds, which in itself took the better part of one whole day. The traditional meat in that part of the country was a cow's head (and don't get me started about the time that my sis-in-law took a bite of a tamale and found a cow's eye staring back at her) but people made tamales from pork, chicken, beans, or pretty much anything they liked.

Once the meat was stewed to smithereens, the distaff members of the family would gather in the kitchen to assemble the yummy little packets. They'd start by mixing up the masa - corn flour, chili powder and water - mixture that forms the outer shell, and softening the corn husks that provide the shape to the tamale.

Then they'd all gather around the table and start the assembly process. This involved starting with a softened corn husk in the palm of one hand, smearing on a layer of masa, adding the filling down the center, then folding the whole thing up into the traditional tamale shape. The resulting little packets get steamed in a 20-qt stockpot full of boiling water until the masa is cooked solid.

Of course, since it's as much a family gathering as it is a food preparation process, the entire ritual involves much talk, laughter, teasing, and other traditional such activities. It generally continues for much of a second day (after spending the first day stewing down the meat) and is a highlight of the holiday season for many families.

I have always wished that I had both the size of family and the cultural heritage to throw a tamale-making party. It seems like such a joyful and warmly food-focused way to celebrate a holiday. Amber, if you can gather a group like that for a tamale party, I salute you for it. Have fun, and eat a dozen or so for me!
Thank you for taking the time to share with me. I am a go getter although most my family has recently moved away from me I will still do this with a group of friends. Maybe I will start the meat late night and early am the tamalesFootball season is a very long holiday in my housePlus I will freeze some too. For later and late night

Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
last night we had cube steak with herb and butter rice and carrotts with milk....

Old 08-07-2008, 12:44 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
Default Off Topic

I am sorry this is off topic, but a friend of mine from NJ is on the phone and wants to come into this forum, and I can't remember how I found all of you. She tried City-DataForum.com but it brings her to a different site. Thank you for your help. kelsie

Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Quote:
I am sorry this is off topic, but a friend of mine from NJ is on the phone and wants to come into this forum, and I can't remember how I found all of you. She tried City-DataForum.com but it brings her to a different site. Thank you for your help. kelsie
Just give her this link and she will come to this page.

What's for dinner tonight???

Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:

There's no doubt a more direct way but I know you can go to city-data.com, click on the link at the bottom for forum archives and the foum link at the top of the next page, you'll then find a link at the upper right where you can register.

HTH

Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Quote:
Go to City-datadotcom/forum, i guess there is a citydatadotcom too!

Today, I put a big roast into the crock pot-since I had it out and all cleaned-it's a big heavy thing, with a removable crock. Anyway, put in some potatoes, and onion and carrots, and what is left over I'll make into shredded/bbq beef for sandwiches later on in the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink