Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times

Advertisements

CrouchTiger, I'm on my way...sounds so delicious I need to wipe off my keyboard.

Not sure what we're having today. Maybe 'sketti w/meatballs and sausage.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:02 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Yesterday I went to go visit a great-aunt of mine. She recently turned 102 and I was not able to attend her birthday dinner.

The plan was for me to take her out for a late lunch/early dinner. When she answered the door she had her apron on and was cooking us dinner.

She had fixed a nice roast chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, a green salad and homemade rolls. For dessert she baked a peach pie. She sent me home with the leftovers, so that is what I'm having for dinner.

When I asked her why she cooked instead of letting me taking her out she said, "I'm 102 years old, if I want to cook you dinner, I'm going to cook you dinner, that is all the reason I need". Can't argue with that!

The lady is amazing...102 years old, still lives alone, does most of her own gardening, and walks a mile everyday...without a cane or walker!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Wow, that's wonderful, seattlerain. You are so lucky to have her and that she still has it together. Enjoy.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Hey, I have an idea.....maybe you and lacey can trade places for a few months this coming winter!! You can enjoy lacey's snow and she can enjoy your sun!!
Winter is when it is wonderful living here. It's now, when the sun and heat are unrelenting for 6 months that I start getting crazy... I want snow NOW!

Tonight: Summery Fruit Salad (about 1 hour before dinner), then citrus BBQ'd chicken breasts and steamed string beans. I am defrosting the other loaf of zucchini bread I made to go along with it.

Summery Fruit Salad

3 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 ripe cantaloupe or honeydew melon (I am using a little of both)
2 ripe bananas, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices (I only have 1 banana, but it will still be good.)
1 cup fresh raspberries or sliced strawberries (I have strawberries)
1 cup fresh blueberries

- Preheat oven to 350. Spread coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Cool completely; set aside.

- In a large bowl, combine honey, lemon juice, orange juice, and lemon peel; mix well.

-Using a melon baller, scoop melon flesh into balls. Add melon balls, bananas, and berries to the honey mixture; gently toss until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

- Spoon the fruit salad into individual serving bowls. Sprinkle each salad with toasted coconut and serve.

Citrus BBQ'd Chicken Breast:

[From kraftfoods.com]

1-1/2 cups KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce (any BBQ sauce will do)
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
1/3 cup orange juice
6 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 lb.)

Mixbarbecue sauce, orange peel and juice. Reserve 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce mixture. Pour remaining barbecue sauce mixture into shallow baking dish. Add chicken; turn to evenly coat both sides of each chicken breast. Cover.

Refrigerate30 min. to marinate. Drain; discard marinade. (I marinate a couple of hours.)

Preheat greased grill to medium heat. Grill chicken 12 to 15 min. or until tender and no longer pink in centers (170°F), turning and brushing occasionally with the reserved 1/2 cup barbecue sauce mixture after 8 min.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Seattlerain: She sounds like an awesome lady! How lucky you are to have her in your life.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:43 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Yesterday I went to go visit a great-aunt of mine. She recently turned 102 and I was not able to attend her birthday dinner.

The plan was for me to take her out for a late lunch/early dinner. When she answered the door she had her apron on and was cooking us dinner.

She had fixed a nice roast chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, a green salad and homemade rolls. For dessert she baked a peach pie. She sent me home with the leftovers, so that is what I'm having for dinner.

When I asked her why she cooked instead of letting me taking her out she said, "I'm 102 years old, if I want to cook you dinner, I'm going to cook you dinner, that is all the reason I need". Can't argue with that!

The lady is amazing...102 years old, still lives alone, does most of her own gardening, and walks a mile everyday...without a cane or walker!
Ya gotta love her answer! What a truely amazing woman. She must have some good genes! She is a great inspiration!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:50 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Default American Diner Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
Happy Sunday, haven't been here in a few days! Porchops tonight not sure how I am going to make them. Hubby and daughter wants me to make them with cream of mushroom soup, I'll have to think about that..
So glad you mentioned P. chops....I have some that I need to use as I didnt freeze them....maybe in mushroom soup with onion soup mix....I havent done that in a zillion years.....could do that with mashed potatoes, we seldom do that either...staying in that American diner mode, could do carrot pennies with butter and parsley.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Ya gotta love her answer! What a truely amazing woman. She must have some good genes! She is a great inspiration!
You better not give that lady any back talk....she will do exactly what she sets her mind to.....God Bless Her!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:59 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Thanks nomoresnow, Cheydee, cynwldkat and elston!

Elston, I would not dream of giving here any back talk, I've seen what happens to the few people that have dared to.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Thanks nomoresnow, Cheydee, cynwldkat and elston!

Elston, I would not dream of giving here any back talk, I've seen what happens to the few people that have dared to.
She sounds like a treasure. Is that branch of the family very long lived? To be independant and fiesty after 100.....that is exceptional!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink