Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times

Advertisements

Oh Kats you just floored me-love the "gift" suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Way to go!!!!! Yay!!!

Ummm....maybe an 80 year old man that "has" everything??

We had spaghetti with meatballs! It sounded good when you mentioned it, and it turned out really good!

I have never heard this. What is in the fumes that kill the birds??? It can't be good for humans either???
The fumes are not good for anyone or anything! Best to stay out of the house while using the self cleaning in your oven. It is a good idea to remove any pets from the area when running the oven's self-cleaning cycle. There have been reports of oven-heated Teflon-coated items releasing odorless fumes deadly to birds. Even cooking at high temps with Teflon-coated pans is risky! I rarely use any pans coated with anything except on cooler temps.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:41 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
katsmeow Birds have very sensitive respiration systems.....that is why miners used to take a canary underground and if the bird died it was a warning to get out of there.......I think they react to smoke and fumes from the high temperature burning spills and maybe like stated above a teflon coating in the oven????.....

We have the house well ventilated if I am going to clean the oven.....I think the fumes from the oven spray cleaners is probably even more toxic.....Birds are very sensitive to all that stuff. Anyone with parakeets, canaries and cockatiels or parrots... needs to be very aware of this....or you can kill your birds....emotionally and financially costly. To high a price for a clean oven.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:42 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
The first one we had back up north was narrower than the one down here (different manufacturer), so there's a tad more room in this one. We use the top for things like reheating pizza or if we have something "short" like foil packets of fish or a small casserole or we're browning or broiling something. Our bottom can also be used as a convection oven which I just love. DH hasn't figured it out yet, tho! Also, our stove up north had the sliding/rolling rack in the bottom. No fun to clean. This stove, we can leave the racks in the oven while it's cleaning. Love, love, LOVE it!
Is this a GE oven? I've been looking at those and dreaming.
Do you have a gas or electric stove top?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:46 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Our stove is a Jenn-Aire; electric ovens and gas stove top.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Yea, but I want Grandma around a little longer.... LOL not give her a heart attack! I ended up getting her a really cute Sweater jacket - a little on the "younger side" that ties at the waist and has a hoodie, but she can pull it off.... it isn't like I am handing her something a 20 year old would wear but I don't think she needs to be wearing sweat suits either..... LOL SHe is a hip 80 and amazingly stunning.... I got good genes to look forward to following in the footsteps of Well, it only took FOUR HOURS TO SHOP (and I got two sweaters for myself....) Now I am off to cook..... Have a great Saturday everyone.....

Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
Is this a GE oven? I've been looking at those and dreaming.
Do you have a gas or electric stove top?
The one we had up north was a Maytag. Really loved it. This one down here is a GE Profile. Really, REALLY love this one. Both were/are glass tops. The GE has the keep-it-warm burner and also a "bridge" burner for when we make gravy with a roasting pan. I am spoiled.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Thanks for sharing that recipe molochai...sounds like it would be very good and warming indeed!

Bebette, never made "taco-soup" but sure sounds good. Mind sharing the recipe??

I have never cooked in a convection oven and have no clue how it works. Hey, I'm still leaning in the old fashioned ovens! I can however do microwaves! See, I'm coming right along!
cyn, a convection oven is basically a "normal" oven that has at least one fan to circulate the heat more evenly and you don't get hot or cold spots in your oven. Consequently, it cooks more quickly (not as quickly as a microwave) and more evenly. Your roasted meat comes out almost as if it had been on a rotissery. yum. Don't feel bad, I didn't know until we got this oven either!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:05 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post

Old 11-08-2008, 01:06 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
FYI.... just made the crabcakes and I put them into mini muffin pan and they made 32 cakes.... easy for a party! Just in case you all wanted party appetizer ideas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink