Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

I have been so seriously traumatized by the news clips of the torture of sick cows at the slaughter house...that I can't think about eating red meat. I used to be a vegetarian when I lived alone....eat meat now out of social needs....but I think I need to re-think my diet.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
This is what we're having tomorrow night! ( I think anyway) My kids and DH love corn with it. How do you cook your pork chops? I shake n bake.
I was thinking of cooking them on the grill, maybe marinating them in some teriaki (spelling) sauce.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:02 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have been so seriously traumatized by the news clips of the torture of sick cows at the slaughter house...that I can't think about eating red meat. I used to be a vegetarian when I lived alone....eat meat now out of social needs....but I think I need to re-think my diet.

That was really awful to see some of that footage - I was sick to my stomach yesterday when I saw a guy on a fork lift pushing a sick cow around on the ground.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I agree Elston...does make us think twice!! I won't watch it on TV and really can't even talk about it without getting very sad. Those people should be so punished!!! I guess I try to put my head in the sand but I try hard to avoid any kind of animal cruelty stories. I can't stop thinking about it once I hear it. At least they did get caught!! So lets get back to good thoughts...

Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Quote:

I hear ya! I feel so bad watching those segments.....too bad I love meat so much! I wish there was something we could do....

I told my boyfriend we should stick to buying organic, free-range meats. Will this make a difference? I don't know.....

Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I hear ya! I feel so bad watching those segments.....too bad I love meat so much! I wish there was something we could do....

I told my boyfriend we should stick to buying organic, free-range meats. Will this make a difference? I don't know.....
I think it does make a difference; I only buy eggs from free ranged chickens and organic fed if possible. I would be much better about the meat if I didnt think the hog or cattle had been raised under inhumane conditions and then held in a filthy feed lot and then tortured on their way to the slaughter.

I apologize, I know this isnt the intent of this thread. I will knock it off, but I may sort of drop away. I am afraid I will get beyond it and forget about the suffering and I don't want to harden over.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM

321 posts, read 920,772 times
Quote:
Hi all, newbie here I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons and I agree - these recent articles make me sick - so glad I don't eat meat.

Now the problem this presents for me is hubby is Mr Carnivore - dinnertime at my house is always interesting Anybody else here have this dilema?

Now tonite we will have hot dogs with baked beans and cornbread. He and my son will eat all of the above and I'll eat the beans poured over a slice of cornbread. I wish I could toss a veggie in there somplace but what we have is enough.

This is a great forum - I love to cook!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
Hi all, newbie here I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons and I agree - these recent articles make me sick - so glad I don't eat meat.

Now the problem this presents for me is hubby is Mr Carnivore - dinnertime at my house is always interesting Anybody else here have this dilema?

Now tonite we will have hot dogs with baked beans and cornbread. He and my son will eat all of the above and I'll eat the beans poured over a slice of cornbread. I wish I could toss a veggie in there somplace but what we have is enough.

This is a great forum - I love to cook!
So glad to read your post! yes I was a vegan when my partner and I got together....he didnt mind my being vegan but he just couldnt/wouldnt consider it. Eating is such a social event that when we were dating, I decided I was going to have to revert back to eating meat or stay a hermit.
I found the assumption of carnivore to be as ingrained as the other assumptions society makes. and often in social settings it came down to being rude and causing other people to be uncomortable. or eating a little meat. But now some years later...I think I am ready to adopt some kind of modified vegetarian/fish and poultry and dairy diet, and not be as rigid as saying I don't want meat in my refrigerator or pans and I will cook him a steak prn.

I will be looking for suggestions like what you did above so I don't have to cook two completely seperate meals.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Thankfully the meat we buy is from what call meat lockers out here. Local cows, pasture fed. I only buy organic free range chickens-the taste is so different and delicious. Compared to making chicken soup years ago with Purdue chickens han it looking yellow-the free range broth is just clear. Makes one wonder.

Hugs Elston-you're a good soul.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
Hi all, after a busy night last night I will be making spaghetti tonight. I really wanted to do meatballs but as I am exhausted I think it will just be marinara sauce tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink