Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 09:48 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oh yes, definitely a repeat customer because other restaurants wouldn't do it - they said the smell of the burned crust was offensive. In fact, other cooks at our restaurant wouldn't do it. Other customers would look in disgust when the blackened pizza was taken to the customer's table. I'm not sure why he liked it that way - but that's how he got it.

We had other customers ask for "no cheese" or "no sauce." We just made it how they asked for it, no questions asked, and they always left with a satisfied smile and came back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Right, but your reputation as a dining establishment didn't suffer, then, due to the way one customer's food was prepared to specification. Correct? You didn't become known as "the place that burns their pizza," and have to accordingly shutter your doors, right?
This is a bit different though. Unlike a properly cooked well-done steak, a burnt pizza is just that--burnt--and burnt foods do often emit an odor most find offensive. I could care less if someone next to me has a well-done steak on their plate; there's no reason dry meat should smell bad . But the smell of burnt food (bread especially) can really waft throughout a restaurant.

Forget the other cooks. The fact Dirt Grinder's restaurant repeatedly served burnt pizza over the (quite possibly legitimate) complaints of the other patrons is true customer service.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
I have tried steak every possible way. From rare to well done. I prefer it medium to medium well. I just don't enjoy it anything less than medium. And yes I have tried very good cuts. At one point in my life I traveled a lot for business and ate at very good restaurants on a regular basis (mainly because I wasn't paying for it myself). I can't tell you how many steaks I suffered through because I was told you don't order steaks above medium rare. When I got older I realized I don't give a rat's arse what other people think of how I order a steak. Now I would find it funny if someone actually had an issue with it.

Do I have an unrefined pallet? I don't know and I don't care. I just enjoy eating meat that is more well done. And in a complete twist I love steak tar tar.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I have tried steak every possible way. From rare to well done. I prefer it medium to medium well. I just don't enjoy it anything less than medium. And yes I have tried very good cuts. At one point in my life I traveled a lot for business and ate at very good restaurants on a regular basis (mainly because I wasn't paying for it myself). I can't tell you how many steaks I suffered through because I was told you don't order steaks above medium rare. When I got older I realized I don't give a rat's arse what other people think of how I order a steak. Now I would find it funny if someone actually had an issue with it.

Do I have an unrefined pallet? I don't know and I don't care. I just enjoy eating meat that is more well done. And in a complete twist I love steak tar tar.
Agreed. Medium to medium well is fine with me, but I don't like it less done than that. And if there is some fat on the edges, I prefer that crispy!

When we go to Houston's and the rest of the family orders prime rib, I order something else. They all like prime rib and they all like it medium rare and supposedly you are supposed to eat prime rib rare. Does not appeal to me in the least.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why are people assuming that "well done" is "blackened, charred, very-well done"? I think that's the gist of some of the communication problem here. Well-done does not mean burned, or cooked until it's "shoe-leather" or even "over cooked". "Over cooked" is simply cooked more than the diner would like it. "Medium" is over-cooked for someone who prefers their meat rare. A properly well-done piece of beef is not burned, charred or "shoe leather". And, no, it's not how I prefer my beef but I can see where some posters are feeling a bit insulted.
And I'm telling you how it is from behind the line in the restaurant world. People who order meat well done (especially at the prices we charge) are considered ignorant rubes. Doesn't matter if I agree with that or not. But that's how it is. Sometimes it's a cultural thing. Some groups like their beef cooked longer than others. Sometimes it's an age thing. But the perception is that it's a lack of a refined palate. ("Why on earth would you order THAT when we could make THIS for you?") Again. That's the perception.

We love the people who order well-done because it allows us to get rid of cuts that more sophisticated diners would send back. Again, that's just how it is. The well-done crowd can't tell the difference.

People who order filet mignon are also denigrated in the kitchens. Filet is the cut for people who don't know beef. And the people who order a filet well-done are, well, laughed at in the kitchen. (And frankly, they should be -- why order the most tender (but least flavorful) cut of meat and then cook all the tenderness out of it?)

We take every bit of skill and care to give them what they want. Even an extra-well done filet. (We don't like food coming back -- more work that way.) Doesn't really matter. The well-done crowd never sends their steak back unless there is the barest hint of pink in it. And then it's easy enough to slap it back on the grill and burn it a little longer.

Basically, it's like someone admitting they cannot tell the difference between Château Pétrus and grape-flavored Tang giving their two cents about the best wine.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:39 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
...Basically, it's like someone admitting they cannot tell the difference between Château Pétrus and grape-flavored Tang giving their two cents about the best wine.
LOL - I'm a wine moron - I can't tell the difference between any two bottles of wine (except white/red).

Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I guarantee you we would get the ticket for your order and ask your server what kind of person, "Orders tartare and a well-done steak?" You sir/madam, are a complete enigma to the cooks who prepare your food.

Does this mean you also like carpaccio?

Incidentally, the place I work has an "open kitchen." That is, the guests can watch us prepare their food. And we can see them. We often play games on slow days guessing what kind of order a certain table is going to make. We're actually pretty good at this. We get it right more often than not. "Table four is going to order two chicken specials, four vegetarian entrees, and the guy at the end is going to order the 32-ounce porterhouse, rare."

You would throw us for a complete loop. That's for certain. It's almost like saying, "I hate eggs but I love omelets."

Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
I guarantee you we would get the ticket for your order and ask your server what kind of person, "Orders tartare and a well-done steak?" You sir/madam, are a complete enigma to the cooks who prepare your food.

Does this mean you also like carpaccio?

Incidentally, the place I work has an "open kitchen." That is, the guests can watch us prepare their food. And we can see them. We often play games on slow days guessing what kind of order a certain table is going to make. We're actually pretty good at this. We get it right more often than not. "Table four is going to order two chicken specials, four vegetarian entrees, and the guy at the end is going to order the 32-ounce porterhouse, rare."

You would throw us for a complete loop. That's for certain. It's almost like saying, "I hate eggs but I love omelets."
Yes, I like carpaccio.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,238 times
If I cut into my steak, and I hear it " Moo", then it's perfect.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,732,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
This is a bit different though. Unlike a properly cooked well-done steak, a burnt pizza is just that--burnt--and burnt foods do often emit an odor most find offensive. I could care less if someone next to me has a well-done steak on their plate; there's no reason dry meat should smell bad . But the smell of burnt food (bread especially) can really waft throughout a restaurant.
A well-done steak is burnt, just like the pizza, and is full of cancer-causing heterocyclic amines.

Quote:
In addition, a National Cancer Institute (NCI) study found that people who ate their beef medium-well-done or well-done had more than three times the risk for stomach cancer as those who ate their beef rare or medium-rare.
On the Barbecue, Charred Is Barred

Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:

Eh, I generally avoid most preparations of seafood with the exception of sushi or sashimi made with salmon or tuna, or smoked salmon. I'm the person who "hates fish"...except for two kinds, and then only raw and/or smoked. Makes no sense, but there it is, nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.