U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 AM

61,852 posts, read 67,149,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
That's highly unethical and disturbing. As for not being able to tell the difference between shoe leather and steak - b.s. Well done meat has a lovely char on the outside and beefy flavor inside; without the grossness of tasting blood. Medium isn't an option; even blindfolded I could tell if there is the slightest bit of pink in the meat. It tastes foul.
You certainly can eat it the way you want and if you enjoy it over done, that is your preference. Some people do like it that way. The fact remains, quality beef and lamb are not the same when over-cooked. A well done piece of beef does not have a beefy flavor. This isn't opinion, this is pretty much fact. I see nothing wrong with you for liking your meat this way, but you also need to realize, your tastes for quality meats are in the minority. This doesn't make you wrong, just not enjoying the meat the way most people do. I can't imagine a but 1 to 1.5 in steak cooked well done.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,463,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course it is a personal thing, but it also true, the longer you cook certain meats the tougher they will be and will have less flavor. For those, who like their meats well done (my husbands family did) you can enjoy meats like briskets, pork shoulder or butt, maybe chicken thighs and legs, and cuts of meat with a lot of fat, to keep it moist, like pot roasts. Cooking a top cut of steak: porterhouse, top sirloin, etc. offers a much tender bite and more flavor if not overcooked. This is true with chicken as well. Most of us want our chicken done and not even a little pink, but still moist. I will tell you, some well done meats do not have as much flavor. It simply depends on what type of meat you want. My husbands family would never enjoy Prime Rib and they admitted it, but they loved a good pot roast. They wouldn't want a 1 inch think pork chop, but loved pork chops cooked in lots of liquid for hours. BTW: you are lumping bloody meat and pink in the same group. They are not the same: many people do not want their meats so rare they are still mowing, but enjoy the moisture and flavor from a med or medium rare piece of steak or roast.
Of course I am. What do you think the pink is? It's blood.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Status: "Boulevardier. Flaneur. Roue. Cranque." (set 1 day ago)

21,493 posts, read 46,502,708 times
Quote:
...they all like their beef red and bloody, pork glistening (ugh) and chicken juicy.
That's where the flavor is.

Quote:
I can't stand any meat that has any trace of pink or is excessively moist.
You're making a choice by that to cook out the fat and juices which carry the flavor.

Quote:
And please don't tell me well done meat has no taste
right back at ya.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 AM

30,825 posts, read 31,189,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Personal taste schmersonal taste. Well done meat sucks. It. Sucks. Why would anyone like to eat burnt dried out crap that's the equivalent to leather? Sorry, but people that like well done meat simply have no palate. Chef's know people that ask for meat well done couldn't tell the difference between the bottom of a boot and a well cooked meal, that's why they give people that order well done meats the oldest and worst cuts of meat left in their fridge. They'll definitely cook it for your but they basically clean house when people order something well done in order to make a profit off of something they're about to throw away. If you don't want it super bloody, at least ask for it medium.
I will agree with you, on a personal level, but priority should be given to the customer's preferences. It's the entire point of the hospitality industry. I don't care for well-done meat, but if someone does, they're paying for it, it's their business, they're the one eating it, and it's no skin off anybody's nose.

The only chefs who will throw a hissy fit at someone ordering their food the way they want it are ones who are more concerned with personal ego than working in hospitality.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 AM

2,934 posts, read 2,888,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I will agree with you, on a personal level, but priority should be given to the customer's preferences. It's the entire point of the hospitality industry. I don't care for well-done meat, but if someone does, they're paying for it, it's their business, they're the one eating it, and it's no skin off anybody's nose.

The only chefs who will throw a hissy fit at someone ordering their food the way they want it are ones who are more concerned with personal ego than working in hospitality.
Meh. If I'm a high end chef and someone orders an amazing Kobe steak that took extreme lengths to get from abroad, raise, and slaughter properly, I'd easily kick someone out of my restaurant if they ordered a steak like that well done. Food is not just food to a chef. It is a mortal sin to a chef to waste food, to not respect where it comes from, and to not respect all of the work that people put into it. IF you cook something like that well done, you might as throw all of that away in the trash. You do not waste the life of a living animal to make garbage.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 AM

7,117 posts, read 8,014,681 times
Quote:
Of course I am. What do you think the pink is? It's blood.
It actually isn't blood. It's myoglobin:

The Red Juice in Raw Red Meat is Not Blood

Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,463,450 times
Quote:
Meh. If I'm a high end chef and someone orders an amazing Kobe steak that took extreme lengths to get from abroad, raise, and slaughter properly, I'd easily kick someone out of my restaurant if they ordered a steak like that well done. Food is not just food to a chef. It is a mortal sin to a chef to waste food, to not respect where it comes from, and to not respect all of the work that people put into it. IF you cook something like that well done, you might as throw all of that away in the trash. You do not waste the life of a living animal to make garbage.
What a pompous bunch of hooey!!!!! Kicking people out of your restaurant? I hope you are the owner, and not some hysterical prima donna chef. Otherwise, I'm sure the owner would have something to say about your high handedness.

I certainly do respect the fact an animal gave its life for my food and that is reflected in my frequent choice of non-meat dishes. On the occasions I do eat meat, I want it well done. No matter how highly you regard yourself and your cooking talents, there is no way you can make someone like the taste of bloody meat.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 AM

7,117 posts, read 8,014,681 times
Quote:
What a pompous bunch of hooey!!!!! Kicking people out of your restaurant? I hope you are the owner, and not some hysterical prima donna chef. Otherwise, I'm sure the owner would have something to say about your high handedness.

I certainly do respect the fact an animal gave its life for my food and that is reflected in my frequent choice of non-meat dishes. On the occasions I do eat meat, I want it well done. No matter how highly you regard yourself and your cooking talents, there is no way you can make someone like the taste of bloody meat.
Myoglobin-infused, you mean.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,978,802 times
Quote:
Well I guess, unless you serve free meals or serve at a homeless shelter, the bottom line for any chef is, well the bottom line.

Regardless of your waxing poetic over piece of meat, a chef works to make money. A restaurant is in business to make money. Guests spend hard earned money, not to please a random chef, but to please themselves.

I just hear alot of "me me me" in your description of the "chef", which is pretty bold for someone who makes a living in the service industry.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM

25,634 posts, read 24,966,728 times
Nothing wrong with well done meat, I like jerky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink