Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM

500 posts, read 376,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

It is clear that there are those of you who do NOT, in fact, believe that your career is based on hospitality. Which is pretty hard to to argue when, once you really get down to it and strip away the fripperies and ego, you COOK IN A RESTAURANT.
Thanks. I was working up a response to texantodd, but you said it for me.

Poor cooks everywhere can adjust to cooking the way the customer orders and instead, have to dis the customer's taste.

There's a nifty little steakhouse right down the street from where I live, and they cook a delicious steak just the way I want it. I think I'll go down and have one for lunch. Talked me into it!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
I have a friend who watches those cooking shows and rants and raves about things like this. "What right do they have to insist meat is rare, or eggs aren't dry, or (fill in the blank with her Peeve Of The Day)?" The funny thing is, she goes absolutely BALLISTIC if anyone makes cornbread with sugar in it, and ridicules her husband for putting raisins in his oatmeal ("It looks like it has bugs in it!").

I'm all for letting people eat their food the way they want to, and I find it funny that she gets so hot under the color about TV chefs having strong preferences that don't agree with hers, but does the same thing to other people.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I can't believe how nasty some people are about other people's food preferences. Who cares? Some people actually find it sickening to eat meat that isn't cooked all the way. I prefer my steak medium or medium well. When it comes to burgers I won't eat it if I see any pink. It's gross to me. I need my chicken and fish almost burnt. I can't stand the thought of eating chicken that isn't cooked longer than it probably needs to be. It's just personal preference. If a customer wants their steak cooked until it resembles leather then they are paying for it and they should get it how they prefer it.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I can't believe how nasty some people are about other people's food preferences. Who cares? Some people actually find it sickening to eat meat that isn't cooked all the way. I prefer my steak medium or medium well. When it comes to burgers I won't eat it if I see any pink. It's gross to me. I need my chicken and fish almost burnt. I can't stand the thought of eating chicken that isn't cooked longer than it probably needs to be. It's just personal preference. If a customer wants their steak cooked until it resembles leather then they are paying for it and they should get it how they prefer it.
But it is cooked.

If rare doesn't = raw, then what do you call it?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We were taught in school that meat had to be cooked through. Steak tastes great cooked medium well done and it is not dried out either. If someone is drying it out, then they probably don't know how to cook or they used a cheap cut of meat that needed to be stewed. Chicken should never be eaten if it's pink inside but I guess they don't teach that in school anymore either.
Was everything you were taught in school correct?

Do you recognize that things sometimes change over time as new science is applied?

Well done meat is always dry and tough to chew unless tenderizers were used. If you like it that way - go for it. Your jaws just get more exercise.

Poultry should still be cooked to 165 degrees. If done so it will not be pink.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
^^^ I have no problem cooking a well done steak that is juicy and delicious.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:10 PM

76 posts, read 137,696 times
Politics, religion and steak. Honestly, this is one of those things that should be understood as a matter of opinion and personal preference. Throwing a hissy fit about something on someone else's plate shows a lack of manners and class.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
But it is cooked.

If rare doesn't = raw, then what do you call it?
just right

135-140 degrees is rare, but not too rare

the old cookbooks would have rare at 125 degrees

the danger zone for bacterial growth is 40-140 degrees, so the usda recommends cooking over 140

to some,,,a little pink in the middle is rare , to others its medium rare, so it is personal choice

i prefer rare, but thats me-especially if its prime rib

keep in mind, if you cook a roast to say 135, and take it out of the oven- it will still "cook" another 5-10 degrees-depending on size of roast

Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I find it sickening to ruin a good steak by cooking it to the consistency of a car tire. Yuck.

I want my steak to be pink inside and I certainly don't care if there is "blood" oozing out of it. That's the way steak is meant to be cooked, regardless of people's preferences. Just because some people (who likely know nothing about meat) like their steaks to be rubber doesn't make it alright. They prefer to eat junk just so they don't see any meat texture inside? Sorry but it is a meat product and if someone can't hack it, well that is too bad. Maybe those people should become vegetarian.

When I cook my steaks at home, they are almost red on the inside and oozing juice. That is the correct way of doing it.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
When I cook my steaks at home, they are almost red on the inside and oozing juice. That is the correct way of doing it.
That may be how you like it, but it is not "the correct way". Meat should be juicy, but it should not ooze juice. If you are left with a pool of liquid on your plate then you did not rest the meat properly at the very least, did not cook it properly at worst.

And this is not a purveyor of shoe leather saying this, I like my steaks anywhere between bleu and medium rare depending (as well as enjoying carpacio and tartare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink