Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Tastes change. I didn't like things with strong umami tastes, like aged cheeses, olives, mushrooms, etc. when I was a kid, but as I lot older, I did acquire a taste for them, and love them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:46 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Tomatoes. I hated any kind of tomato when I was a Kid. I love tomato now...all forms

I tried scrapple a few years back. I did not like. I would try again but with someone that maybe knows if what I ate was typical or just off.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
My Mother used to put raisins in my oatmeal, and would tell me they were healthy. Gaggg! I would finish my oatmeal and toast, and send the bowl back full of raisins. I can eat one, or the other, but not together. Also, fruit salad cocktail with whip cream. Who created that? Strangely, nothing else bothers me. I have tried more wild game than anyone can imagine, and would eat everything Mother put in front of me as a kid ( minus raisins& oatmeal), and as I grew, I tried all sort of stuff. Life is a journey!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
My Mother used to put raisins in my oatmeal, and would tell me they were healthy. Gaggg! I would finish my oatmeal and toast, and send the bowl back full of raisins. I can eat one, or the other, but not together.!
I do not like raisins that are warm or cooked in things - such as cinnamon rolls. I like them cold or by themselves though.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM

I don't mind raisins in oatmeal cookies, but can do without them in most other contexts. I don't despise them, I just don't like them enough to ever consider adding them to stuff or to snack on them.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Cincinnati Chili is a strange concoction but I do like it on hot dogs.

Now, about those Brussels Sprouts - they can be sweet and tender or they can be harsh and bitter depending on how mature they are and how long they have been sitting in the "fresh vegetable bin" at the grocery store. When you find some really fresh young Brussels Sprouts you might find them quite tasty. However, there are some folks who will never like them no matter what.
I think Brussels Sprouts are something, like asparagus, olives and a few other foods that many people just can not acquire a taste for, no matter how hard the try. I know spoiled brat grew up hating a lot of things, Brussels sprouts being one of them. Since I fix them very differently than his mom, he has learned to like them, but not love them. Another food many can never enjoy are mushrooms. I do think, many of us, as we mature do develop our taste buds thus enjoying foods we could not eat as kids. Sometimes it works the other way. Probably texture plays a bigger part than actual taste.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM

It works the other way, too.

I used to love yogurt. Now, it's not something I enjoy nearly as much. I think part of it is due to starting to eat Greek style yogurt, which is completely different in consistency and taste, and now the type of yogurt I grew up eating doesn't appeal to me.

I also can't stand very sweet foods in adulthood, which I loved as a kid.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
A dietician once stated to me that it takes 3 tries of a new food to know if you like it. Obviously if on the first try it makes you ill you won't have it again but if the food is just not your favorite in time you may like it. I used to not be a fan of vegetables but now I like almost every kind and my diet is filled with them. I started off by adding small amounts of veggies to items I liked such as eggs scrambles with spinach.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
I have always had an aversion to onions, but I recently read an article that decribed such reluctance to eat onions as a carryover from simple childhood tastes.

In other words - it was all in my mind.

So, not long a go I ordered a couple tacos and for once did not say "without onions".

I ate them, and to my surprise didn't gag - perhaps because I convinced myself that it was OK to eat onions - and I achieved a victory with "mind over matter".

Now I eat tacos with onions once a week and don't even think about the onions.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:53 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I hated cheese when I was a kid ... now I find that really bizarre since I love it (lots of different kinds!).

I thought I didn't like asparagus, but what I discovered was that I didn't like canned asparagus (which is what we ate when I was a kid), which I always found really slimy and disgusting. Fresh steamed asparagus is delicious.

Brussel sprouts make me gag. Still. I have given up on them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink