Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I just can't stand sweet drinks - not even fruit juice. All way too sweet. I think I 'trained' myself that way though - I used to, in my 20s, drink lousy workplace coffee and the only way to swallow that stuff was to put sugar and cream in. Then I decided I needed to lose some weight and dropped all the 'fixin's forever - and if someone mixes up my drink and gives me sweetened iced tea for instance, it is awful. I now drink only black coffee, tea plain, and water these days.

I am not a chocoholic - could take it or leave it - but if I do eat it, it is always the highest cacao content I can find - so the least sweet. The same goes for most candy but once a year when the new crop maple syrup/candies come out (and they are VERY sweet) if I allow myself some (since I can find myself craving that 'taste') it takes me at least 4 days of nothing sweet to wean myself off it (and I will indulge till I get tough with myself). At any rate, they just don't understand me when I tell them thanks but no thanks when they offer me their goodies. I do bake for them though on occasion - and leave it with them!

I am not into sweet salads or salad dressings. I find them cloying. But, I do like a bit of sweetness in a fiery Thai curry for instance - helps to balance it all out. I use coconut sugar usually. It is less sweet.

I went for dinner at my neighbour's house not long ago. I noticed that almost everything we ate was sweet - the salads, the ribs, even the potatoes seemed a bit 'doctored' (almost sweet potato sweet). And around here, the women DO love their baking. I think this is a regional thing though .. and perhaps a bit 'old fashioned' - I remember my mother's coleslaw when I was a kid - no sugar per se but the apples and raisins were sweet enough.

Wish I could just drop the other bad carbs as easily as I dropped sugar. I could still stand to lose a few pounds.
sweet drinks: no way: I do drink OJ but that is about as sweet as I want. OK, when I need some form of juice for breakfast and have no choice I drink a small glass of apple juice, but never soda, lemonade, etc. Breakfast, normally it is veggie juice or grapefruit juice. As much as I love my wine, even it has to be heavy and dry: no sweet ones, no after dinner liquoirs, (spelling) nothing like that.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:54 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
I can't have grapefruit juice any more (medical reasons) but that was the only juice I used to drink. I miss the idea of that juice perhaps. When I was a kid, if my mother gave me OJ, the first thing I did was water it down to the point that a glass became almost a quart - and the taste was very faint.

And yes, me too with the wine. When I drink (and I don't much these days - not enough in fact) it has to be very dry - mellow old dry for me.

I see that somehow one sentence in my last post ended up attached to the wrong paragraph. Can't edit it but I guess it won't matter in a day or so. Sorry 'bout that. Must have been tired when I wrote it.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:37 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
My sister didn't care for sweets at all...only one in the family like that. I thought that her sweet tooth was quelled by the many cigarettes she smoked...which killed her.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:52 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I have a tamed sweet tooth. You can train yourself to like or dislike most foods. I started cutting back on sweets significantly years back and my sweet cravings dropped substantially. I think many people are addicted to sugar. I eat a little, a cookie, a graham cracker here and there, but very few desserts like cake or pie. They're only treats occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink