Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I occasionally hear people who say they 'don't like sweet tasting foods' or sweet tastes, or they much prefer savoury. Often, I notice, it's older people but occasionally young too.

Being a sweet-tooth I definitely don't fall into that category, but I'd find it strange if someone didn't like anything sweet at all like chocolate, lolly/candy/sweets, cake, sugary drinks, ice cream.etc. Even fruit, I suppose.

Do you think there's a psychological/neurological reason for it? That some people just don't like sweet foods?
Do some people grow out of them?

I don't have a natural fondness for sweets, and I was always like this since I was a baby and a little kid. And it has nothing to do with upbringing, either, since I had easy access to candy and soda growing up and my parents never really placed any restrictions on sugary snacks. I dunno, I just always had a natural appetite for meat and protein, I guess. I was the kid who always ate all his veggies (without having to be told) and I shunned desert, because all I really wanted was another hamburger or slice of pizza!

I guess this is why people are always amazed at my huge appetite, but I'm thin as a rail.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Never liked very sweet items, even as a little kid. At holidays, when trays of cookies and sweets were brought out, I gravitated toward the cut up vegetables and dip, to cheese and cracker trays, chips and salsa, etc.

Yup. That is exactly how I was when I was a kid at family get-togethers and BBQs. I shunned the sugary snacks, cookies, and cupcakes, and went directly for the chips and dip, and the second and third helpings of potato salad and a couple extra cheeseburgers.

Never had the craving for sweets after a big meal, either.

And I thought I was the only one!

Old 06-01-2013, 04:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I occasionally hear people who say they 'don't like sweet tasting foods' or sweet tastes, or they much prefer savoury. Often, I notice, it's older people but occasionally young too.

Being a sweet-tooth I definitely don't fall into that category, but I'd find it strange if someone didn't like anything sweet at all like chocolate, lolly/candy/sweets, cake, sugary drinks, ice cream.etc. Even fruit, I suppose.

Do you think there's a psychological/neurological reason for it? That some people just don't like sweet foods?
Do some people grow out of them?
That would be me. I hated sweets as a kid, to the point of only eating the white pith of a Navel orange...the flesh was too sweet. No candy or cake or chocolate. The thought of eating something sweet, especially for breakfast, makes me nauseous.
Now that I'm older, I love fruit, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
If I'm ever old and frail and in need of nutritional supplements like Boost or Ensure, I'm in deep trouble. They don't come in flavours like chicken or shrimp.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:21 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Times have changed me, I had a real sweet tooth when I was younger. I used to be addicted to chocolate and then as I got older it went away. If I eat chocolate now it's usually something like a chocolate covered pretzel, raisin, plum, banana, etc., just an accent to whatever food it's on. I like sour things, licorice, and have an unnatural obsession with red vines, so I avoid them as much as I can because once I start I won't stop until they are gone.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Asparagus, Broccoli, CHOCOLATE, .... zucchini, Love it all.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
I just don't like this new trend of mixing sweet foods with salty;

Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
Oh, sweet and salty go so well together, complementing one another and making a much more complex and interesting experience. Just like sweet and sour, or sweet and spicy play nice off of each other in the same way.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:59 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I do love sweet/hot things like Harry & David relish on cream cheese, for example. I tend to like Empress chicken or General Tso Chicken in Chinese restaurants because of the sweet/hot flavor.
The best soup I ever had was a lentil that was sweet/hot.
I agree that salty sweet can be good, too. Like chocolate dipped pretzels, for example. I guess my point is that sweetness has its place.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a symptom of pre-diabetes or diabetes. That's why you see it mostly in older people.

What is a symptom of diabetes? Craving sweets or not liking them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink