Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which cuisines? Pick 3
French 0 0%
Italian 1 1.89%
Spanish 0 0%
German 0 0%
Hungarian 0 0%
Polish 1 1.89%
Russian 1 1.89%
Greek 0 0%
Lebanese 1 1.89%
Turkish 0 0%
Moroccan 0 0%
Ethiopian 2 3.77%
Northern Indian 0 0%
Southern Indian 2 3.77%
Burmese 0 0%
Thai 0 0%
Malaysian 1 1.89%
Indonesian 0 0%
Lao/Khmer 2 3.77%
Vietnamese 4 7.55%
Cantonese 1 1.89%
Shanghai 0 0%
Sichuanese 0 0%
Central China 1 1.89%
Northern China 0 0%
Westernised Chinese 2 3.77%
Korean 1 1.89%
Japanese 2 3.77%
Mongolian 1 1.89%
Central Asian 0 0%
Tex-Mex 1 1.89%
Mexican - traditional 0 0%
Brazilian 0 0%
Peruvian/Ecuadorian 0 0%
Traditional Bolivian 0 0%
Argentinian 1 1.89%
American 2 3.77%
American fast food 10 18.87%
English 3 5.66%
Australian bush tucker 5 9.43%
Polynesian 3 5.66%
Other - mention 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Many of the very small country's cuisines I haven't had and probably never will. Of the ones I have had, I don't unpalatable. I do have a little problem with the thought of eating bugs, but no country lives on bugs. I also have a problem with pigeons which is something they eat in Egypt I have heard, from reliable sources. I can't imagine eating a cat either, but if I didn't know it was cat I might enjoy it.
We eat pigeons in America, too. We just call them squab. First of all, you're probably thinking about Morocco, not Egypt. And second, the dish you're probably thinking of is called pastilla, or pigeon pie. And if you ever have a chance to eat pastilla, it would be foolish to miss out on the chance.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,712,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I also have a problem with pigeons which is something they eat in Egypt I have heard, from reliable sources.
Yes, they have pigeons available in many places to eat in Egypt. I ate it two times while I was there, nothing spectacular.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:45 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,267,980 times
Quote:

Dim Sums are my favourite Chinese food.
Dim Sum is a style of eating, not a food.
(Kind of like saying Brunch is my favourite food)

Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM

191 posts, read 163,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Why not? Much of the world thinks we survive by eating deep-fried butter with lard sauce. And then wash it down with beer that tastes like flavored carbonated water. Most of our restaurants are utter rubbish -- chains, fast food, and we literally eat our weight in really bad pizza every year.

I don't think even one in 10 Americans could make their own mayonnaise without first consulting a recipe. And most people are probably scratching their heads and wondering, "Make mayonnaise? Whatever for? The jar of Kraft is right there in the 'fridge."

So, sure, American deserves to be there with the other regions.
What about those who are old-fashioned or have family members who are and know how to make things from scratch? Or those who can't afford to eat out all the time? They can't be that much of a rarity. I might be biased, though, having a lot of family members who were were frugal and/or grew their own food.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
What about those who are old-fashioned or have family members who are and know how to make things from scratch? Or those who can't afford to eat out all the time? They can't be that much of a rarity. I might be biased, though, having a lot of family members who were were frugal and/or grew their own food.
What about them? They're a dying breed.

We live in the opening lines of A Tale of Two Cities. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way"

Americans have access to the absolute best food money can buy. For the most part, they pick the cheap food instead. We have access to some of the best restaurants in the world. And for the most part, we eat at chains. The fact that there is serious debate going on RIGHT NOW about the declining size of Burger King hamburgers is all the proof you need that Americans in general are not the people to ask about food-related issues.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Americans have access to the absolute best food money can buy. For the most
part, they pick the cheap food instead. We have access to some of the best
restaurants in the world. And for the most part, we eat at chains. The fact that
there is serious debate going on RIGHT NOW about the declining size of Burger
King hamburgers is all the proof you need that Americans in general are not the
people to ask about food-related issues
Ugh. Chains. Chains have the worst food. They tend not to do well up here.
That being said, I am spoiled rotten, living where I live. Did anyone catch Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown show, when he came to Quebec? The food is decadent, extravagant, and unapologetically over the top.
The trick is not to eat too much of it; not to pig out.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Ugh. Chains. Chains have the worst food. They tend not to do well up here.
That being said, I am spoiled rotten, living where I live. Did anyone catch Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown show, when he came to Quebec? The food is decadent, extravagant, and unapologetically over the top.
The trick is not to eat too much of it; not to pig out.
I have spent a great deal of time in your fair city. (Even in the winter.) You're right, you have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food. Montreal isn't just one of the leading cities in North America when it comes to food. It is one of the leading cities in the world.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I have spent a great deal of time in your fair city. (Even in the winter.) You're right, you have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food. Montreal isn't just one of the leading cities in North America when it comes to food. It is one of the leading cities in the world.
That it is. From the 300 artisanal cheeses made right here, to the decadent patisseries and boulangeries, to the plethora of authentic ethnic restaurants in every neighbourhood, it's definitely an embarrassment of riches.
You'd think we'd be fatter, but we try not to overdo it. We also eat a lot of salads.

I've also spent time in YOUR fair city. I lived in Vegas for about 8 months. Good thing I don't gamble. I did partake in a lot of cheap buffets.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:42 PM

I can't stand Las Vegas. I'm here because of family issues and no other reason. Otherwise, I'd move someplace near the ocean. I prefer coastal living to desert living.

And while we, too, have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food, most people don't partake in the best we have to offer. (Enough do that I'll never have to worry about finding a job, though.) They go the el cheapo route.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I can't stand Las Vegas. I'm here because of family issues and no other reason. Otherwise, I'd move someplace near the ocean. I prefer coastal living to desert living.

And while we, too, have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food, most people don't partake in the best we have to offer. (Enough do that I'll never have to worry about finding a job, though.) They go the el cheapo route.
I love the ocean and I miss it, but I keep coming back to Montreal. I love this place. It's like no other on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink