Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

Melt (a little) butter. Brush a flour burrito with the butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Cut into triangles. Toast on rack 'til toasty. It's not a healthy snack, but it's a low calorie snack with tons of flavor. Cinnamon crisps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
If I'm cooking dinner for just me, I'll make chicken in there. I also reheat steaks so I don't overkill them in the microwave. And yes, toast!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Speaking of toaster ovens - who has never melted a bread bag onto the top of a toaster oven? C'mon now - 'fess-up, I know I've done it.
Not moi, but I do soften the butter by placing the glass butter dish on top of the oven while the bread is toasting.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:49 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
I went ahead and purchased one with the convection and rotisserie feature. I use it all the time to cook and reheat certain items that would otherwise get soggy and lose their texture in the microwave. It is certainly easier and more efficient than heating up the regular oven to prepare certain meals.

I am using it now to re-heat a quiche for brunch.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:39 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
My wife really wanted a Breville large toaster oven, so we saved up our various points and got one for free. It's the BOV800XL model.

We use it ALL the time. That thing is amazing! Tonight I'm making broiled venison chops topped with bleu cheese crumbles and panko. The broiler is spot on amazing. We cook small casseroles, meat, fish, you name it. It is much handier than firing up the big oven.

I'm always kinda skeptical, so I had no original 'illusions' that this unit could perform 'as advertised', however I can say we have been pretty damned impressed by the little oven.

We use it waaay more than the big oven.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:48 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I've never had one and never saw the need or appeal, but I am reading the comments with interest.

I am almost always cooking for four or five, and I don't think that much food would fit in a toaster oven. (I don't cook in the microwave either for that matter; I rarely use it except for softening butter or reheating a cup of tea).

Also, I've never noticed that the oven heats up the whole house, maybe because in the warmer months I don't plan many meals that would use the oven. We eat mostly salads, pasta, and stir-fry or other skillet meals when it's warm, not things like roasts or casseroles. Or we grill outside.

But I can see that under the right circumstances, a toaster oven could come in handy.

Last edited by saibot; 03-08-2015 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 03:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
I think a good toaster oven is one of the most useful kitchen tools you can possibly have, I wouldn't be without one.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:00 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've never had one and never saw the need or appeal, but I am reading the comments with interest.

I am almost always cooking for four or five, and I don't think that much food would fit in a toaster oven. (I don't cook in the microwave either for that matter; I rarely use it except for softening butter or reheating a cup of tea).

Also, I've never noticed that the oven heats up the whole house, maybe because in the warmer months I don't plan many meals that would use the oven. We eat mostly salads, pasta, and stir-fry or other skillet meals when it's warm, not things like roasts or casseroles.

But I can see that under the right circumstances, a toaster over could come in handy.
Just for gigles read some of the almost 3,000 reviews for that model. Most people are pretty impressed by it.

We cook for 4 and it's plenty big enough. Actually I'm going to toast a hot goose pastrami reuben in it shortly

Old 03-08-2015, 04:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can remember when a toaster oven was used mainly for toast. What do you use your for or do you use one?

We could live without a regular oven, before we could live without our toaster oven. We use it for roasting veggies, baking potatoes, chicken and yes, toast.
We have a toaster for toast and a toaster oven for pretty much everything else that goes in the big oven which I do not use often because we have a very small kitchen and just using the burners makes it terribly hot in the kitchen.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
http://www.buzzfeed.com/robfranklin/...nt#.dnxnGdGq70
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink