U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,326,715 times

Advertisements

I came across a Country Barrel ciopycat meatloaf recipe and was intrigued by the use of grated biscuits instead of the usual bread crumbs/fresh bread/rice/oatmeal/nutty grains/quinoa etc. (can you tell I have tried alot of them? LOL)

But I never tried biscuits. I don't like their version of biscuits and prefer my version which has sour cream and 7 up. I made the meat loaf following their recipe exactly with the exception of my biscuits and poblanos in place of their suggestion of green pepper. I also baked it a tad longer as their recipe said 350 in a convection oven and mine isn't convection. I baked it an additional 15 minutes.

It was so tender, moist and delicious. I think I may have to use grated biscuits from now on! What's your favorite but unusual ingredient in your recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
Not my favourite but your question resonated because I just ran into this about a week ago while having lunch at a friend's house.

She had made a kale and sausage stew and asked me if I could identify the main spice/flavor. I couldn't....it was vanilla.
Vanilla with kale and sausage stew?? Honestly I would have to eat it again to determine whether I liked it because it was odd, but not bad...she said it was a recipe she'd gotten off a cooking show.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I came across a Country Barrel ciopycat meatloaf recipe and was intrigued by the use of grated biscuits instead of the usual bread crumbs/fresh bread/rice/oatmeal/nutty grains/quinoa etc. (can you tell I have tried alot of them? LOL)

But I never tried biscuits. I don't like their version of biscuits and prefer my version which has sour cream and 7 up. I made the meat loaf following their recipe exactly with the exception of my biscuits and poblanos in place of their suggestion of green pepper. I also baked it a tad longer as their recipe said 350 in a convection oven and mine isn't convection. I baked it an additional 15 minutes.

It was so tender, moist and delicious. I think I may have to use grated biscuits from now on! What's your favorite but unusual ingredient in your recipes?

Cracker Barrell uses biscuits in the meatloaf for the same reason that Wendy's added chili to their menu years ago - to use up the leftovers. I don't see why it would not work.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:31 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Balsamic vinegar and pepper on Strawberries. Absolutely delicious. Really brings out the flavour of the Strawberries.

The Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake :

Chocolate Mayonaise Cake recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food Never made it but it does sound odd.

I have had Courgette (Zucchini) cake which was wonderful . Very unusual where I live.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,163,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Balsamic vinegar and pepper on Strawberries. Absolutely delicious. Really brings out the flavour of the Strawberries.

The Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake :

Chocolate Mayonaise Cake recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food Never made it but it does sound odd.

I have had Courgette (Zucchini) cake which was wonderful . Very unusual where I live.

I am a foodie, and the Balsamic vinegar and pepper sounds interesting. I am going to try it. Here in the states, where I use to live, Carrot Cake was a common dessert. A neighbor lady I once knew used to make Green Grape Pies that were absolutely delicious. The tartness from the young grapes would be offset with the sweetness from the sugary filling of the pie. Plus, she made her own crust. The crust was even delicious! I tried to recreate the recipe, but, sadly, it was never near as good as her recipe.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:33 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,326,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Cracker Barrell uses biscuits in the meatloaf for the same reason that Wendy's added chili to their menu years ago - to use up the leftovers. I don't see why it would not work.
It wasn't that I didn't think it would work, it just never occurred to me to use crumbled biscuits in place of bread crumbs. And have it work incredibly well as I have experimented with many different ingredients.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,705,902 times
Fresh grated nutmeg adds an interesting note to savory dishes, especially if they are spicy. I make a spicy shrimp with garlic dish with nutmeg and it smooths out any bitterness and somehow makes it more garlicky.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
I am a foodie, and the Balsamic vinegar and pepper sounds interesting. I am going to try it. Here in the states, where I use to live, Carrot Cake was a common dessert. A neighbor lady I once knew used to make Green Grape Pies that were absolutely delicious. The tartness from the young grapes would be offset with the sweetness from the sugary filling of the pie. Plus, she made her own crust. The crust was even delicious! I tried to recreate the recipe, but, sadly, it was never near as good as her recipe.

Let me know what you think about the Strawberries. It needs a good aged Balsamic though, the type which is quite "syrupy". I love Carrot Cake but Zucchini cake was not something I was aware of and I want to see more of it ! It was incredibly moist and very moreish.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM

14,297 posts, read 17,497,824 times
Balsamic vinegar on strawberries (with or without pepper) - great way to use up not so sweet strawberries, if you let the berries macerate in the vinegar for 30 minutes or so with NO sugar. Need good quality balsamic.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
My mom made a sauerkraut cake once. It was actually pretty good. She was experimenting, I'm not sure WHY she picked this one but she did. It looked and tasted like a normal vanilla sheetcake, but the texture was similar to a cake with coconut in it.

Also in science class in Junior High school, our teacher had us make earthworm cookies. Normal tollhouse cookies, with powdered pulverized earthworms in it. They tasted and "textured" just like normal tollhouse cookies. But it packed a double-dose of protein, since that's what earthworms are for the most part. Interesting concept - if you can't get your stubborn kids to eat normal food and you're worried they're not getting enough protein, just toss some powdered pulverized earthworms over their twinkies and tell them it's cocoa powder. They'll never know the difference

On a more "normal" kind of unusual ingredients - Pomi marinara sauce adds a touch of chili powder to their recipe. Just enough that if you don't recognize it, you'll wonder what that extra "something" is, that makes it taste so good. And if you do recognize the taste of chili you'll know that's what it is right away and wonder why no one else puts it into theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink