Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your definition of barbecue?
Having a cookout with friends or family. 18 13.95%
Grilling burgers, steaks, or hotdogs using charcoal or gas. 22 17.05%
Meat cooked slowly using indirect heating methods with wood. 62 48.06%
Chicken or steak with barbecue sauce on it. 8 6.20%
I don't have a set definition. 19 14.73%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The main trick to great pulled-pork is cooking at 225-250 degrees and being patient at the temperature stall at around 165 degrees. If you resist the urge to increase the cooking temp and let the collagen dissolve during the stall you'll get some excellent pork.
Here is something that, for years, I have tried to help people understand...

You will only be worried about the "stall" if you watch a thermometer and look for it.

I grew up learning to cook barbecue from old time, country cooks. These people know more about this stuff than anybody...yet I doubt any of them could tell you about any perceived "stall". It took me 35 years of being around barbecue before learning there was a temperature stall during the cooking process...that is when I read about it on the internet.

I never experience the stall...because I don't look for it. I can guess fairly close how long a certain piece of meat is going to take to cook and I don't fiddle with it until I think I'm close. Therefore I never have to deal with a stall or any urge to try to press through it.

I try to teach people to cook with a thermometer only until they learn what it's supposed to feel like when it's done...at which point they can put the thermometer away in a drawer if they want and never use it again. One of the biggest tips I can give anyone is to not fiddle with the meat as it cooks. Learn how to estimate your cooking times and look at it as little as possible. I know people that will check temps every hour...for a 14 hour cook. That's crazy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Trying to rush barbecue is like trying to rush sex. The final result isn't nearly as good. And everyone involved ends up disappointed.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I'm sure I will open myself up to abuse for asking this, but what do people think of Rudy's in Texas? I went to one in Houston when I was there on business and I thought it was pretty good.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Rudy's is always mentioned among the better BBQ joints around San Antonio.They started out on I-10 West between S.A. and Boerne.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Rudy's is always mentioned among the better BBQ joints around San Antonio.They started out on I-10 West between S.A. and Boerne.
It was certainly one of the most unique eating establishments I have been to. Personally I loved the informal style of the whole place.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,673 times
Rudy's is an above average place. It is good enough that I don't complain if I go to it with friends, but it is not anywhere near the same galaxy as the great Texas BBQ joints - which central Texas is home to a great many of them.

As far as them being talked greatly about in San Antonio, this is the same city that supports Bill Miller's disgusting crap. There are some great SA BBQ spots, but neither Rudy's (which is decent) or BM's (which is fast food junk) are examples of it.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Rudy's is an above average place. It is good enough that I don't complain if I go to it with friends, but it is not anywhere near the same galaxy as the great Texas BBQ joints - which central Texas is home to a great many of them.

As far as them being talked greatly about in San Antonio, this is the same city that supports Bill Miller's disgusting crap. There are some great SA BBQ spots, but neither Rudy's (which is decent) or BM's (which is fast food junk) are examples of it.
Coming from the food honcho's of Austin...LOL! Bill Miller's is a well run business with many locations. They didn't get there by selling crap like your single artsy fartsy exquisite BBQ joints in Austin-e. Only a snot nosed snob would speak of Bill Miller's the way you do! I think you've found home in Austin. You must fit in perfectly.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
...You will only be worried about the "stall" if you watch a thermometer and look for it...
Or if you plot the temperature profile when you're teaching others how to cook pulled pork. It's fine to say "I know how long it takes for it to cook" but osmosis as a teaching method just doesn't work. I've taught a number of people how to cook pulled pork and they always get the "AHA!!" moment when I explain what is happening during the stall.

A great competition cook taught me quite a few tips and tricks, one of then being "Raise the temp and force it through the stall and you're gonna have to carve that butt. Coast through the stall and you'll be pullin' pork."

He also taught me the difference between "raw smoke" and "flavor smoke." That wispy blue smoke coming out of the chimney is good news in "Flavortown."

Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Coming from the food honcho's of Austin...LOL! Bill Miller's is a well run business with many locations. They didn't get there by selling crap like your single artsy fartsy exquisite BBQ joints in Austin-e. Only a snot nosed snob would speak of Bill Miller's the way you do! I think you've found home in Austin. You must fit in perfectly.
There are many locations, here are the rating on:

Urbanspoon: 68%, 72%, 64%, 64%, 62%, 58%, 67%, 64%, 73%, 65%, 63%, 60%, 52%, 59%, 60%, 62%, 68%, 51% ...

bill miller

Yelp: I won't list them out, but most of them get 2 1/2-3 stars

Bbq San Antonio, TX

Those are almost entirely reviews by locals. Bill Millers is crap. As far as you saying they couldn't have so many locations if they didn't make good food, what about McDonalds? Taco Bell? Do you think that they make good food? No, they make it cheap and fast, and that is what you get at BM's. Cheap, fast, low quality junk.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
There are many locations, here are the rating on:

Urbanspoon: 68%, 72%, 64%, 64%, 62%, 58%, 67%, 64%, 73%, 65%, 63%, 60%, 52%, 59%, 60%, 62%, 68%, 51% ...

bill miller

Yelp: I won't list them out, but most of them get 2 1/2-3 stars

Bbq San Antonio, TX

Those are almost entirely reviews by locals. Bill Millers is crap. As far as you saying they couldn't have so many locations if they didn't make good food, what about McDonalds? Taco Bell? Do you think that they make good food? No, they make it cheap and fast, and that is what you get at BM's. Cheap, fast, low quality junk.
I'm sticking with my assessment you're welcome to yours. Just don't think you're gonna change any minds! Truth be told there's not 20 cents difference in most commercial BBQ. I can make better BBQ at home all day long. I don't eat stars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink