Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
and I don't think they ever eat anything fresh. Everything comes out of a box or can and they eat the same things over and over.
The menu isn't the problem -- their lifestyle is. They won't be able to TASTE your food because everything they eat is likely over-salted and loaded with fat. I think you're setting yourself up for disaster. Have a pizza delivery number handy because they probably won't like any of the dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
...I don't think they ever eat anything fresh...
I certainly wouldn't want to be invited to dinner by a host who makes negative assumptions about my dining habits. It sounds like you are making pre-excuses in case they don't like what you prepare. Vegan isn't for me and I wouldn't even consider attending a vegan meal because of such preconceived notions on the part of the host.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:51 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I certainly wouldn't want to be invited to dinner by a host who makes negative assumptions about my dining habits. It sounds like you are making pre-excuses in case they don't like what you prepare. Vegan isn't for me and I wouldn't even consider attending a vegan meal because of such preconceived notions on the part of the host.
The menu sounds delicious and I'd eat it even though I'm not vegan. Speaking to any assumptions, I've found people always surprise me. Often it's in the negative way, but I'd look to be surprised positively by people of whom I think well enough to invite to my home.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:15 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I am not vegan or vegetarian and am picky but I think your menu sounds very nice. The most important part is that you are trying to welcome them. It is only one meal and though it may not be something they would have on an every day basis it may open their eyes to new things.
My gosh some of the responses are harsh about not attending. Could you not just go to the function and have a small amount served if you don't like it and then eat when you get home?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
I think it's very nice of you to invite them over and welcome them. I think your menu overall is good, although I agree with some others it might be easier to serve a less complicated pasta dish, marinara or pesto. Maybe marinara is the safer choice as its familiar to them.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:05 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Okay, can't you make a vegan meal, that is not full of fake cheese, and weird vegetables? Chips and dips sound fine, make sure there is no tofu. Salad is fine, a normal one, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion...bread is fine. A pasta side dish is fine, skip the fake meat and cheese, keep it simple, a marinara sauce with peppers and onions...or maybe even just baked potatoes.

I have eaten at vegan homes, and felt as uncomfortable as being over at someone's house who is trying to convert me to their religion. Maybe, these people are perfectly happy, and don't need you to show them the light.

The worst, is when I politely choke down a meal, out of misplaced friendship, and they proudly trumpet, how wonderful the meal was, and I did not even know it was tofu and eggplant, (I did), and what I find particularly galling, is that I come choke down unfamiliar food, that I don't like, knowing full well, if I made a meal I like at my home, like, a Cobb salad, they would not eat it, but they expect me to eat their weird food...

Okay, rant over. Enjoy your dinner, but try to keep the moral superiority to a minimum.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I am not vegan or vegetarian and am picky but I think your menu sounds very nice. The most important part is that you are trying to welcome them. It is only one meal and though it may not be something they would have on an every day basis it may open their eyes to new things.
My gosh some of the responses are harsh about not attending. Could you not just go to the function and have a small amount served if you don't like it and then eat when you get home?

If I was going to eat when I got home I would not spend the time and energy going to someone's home for supper.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I'm not finding any moral superiority in the OP's tone. I'm finding someone who wants to serve "real" foods, while at the same time complying with their own choice to keep flesh-based products out of their home. The only questionable thing in her entire menu is the cheese itself. The dishes all sound fine, and since I've never had almond cream, I can't even comment on it to say it'd be good to include or not. So for me, it's merely questionable. I would taste it, and if I didn't like it, it sounds like the OP is providing enough OTHER things, that I won't feel deprived if I don't eat the entree.

The OP is avoiding mock meats, which is great, because it means she's looking more for healthy foods, rather than foods that are overprocessed and designed to "fool" people into believing they're something else.

It would be as if I had been invited to a kosher home, that's serving meat as their main course. That means they won't be serving butter or cheese, or cream in the coffee. It means if I want a slice of challah (which is my favorite bread), I can't put butter on it. I could have it with margarine (gag), or jam, or peanutbutter, or pretty much anything *except* butter.

Or a kosher home that's choosing to go dairy for dinner - that means I wouldn't be allowed to bring a cheeseburger with me, and they won't be serving me a steak while they eat a vegetarian quiche. I don't find it offensive at all, as long as they make -some- attempt to accommodate the "average eater's" interest in foods that aren't so unique and specific to their lifestyle that they are entirely foreign to the guest.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
It sounds yummy!!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I think it's very nice of you to invite them over and welcome them. I think your menu overall is good, although I agree with some others it might be easier to serve a less complicated pasta dish, marinara or pesto. Maybe marinara is the safer choice as its familiar to them.
Most pestos are not vegan -- cheese. Marinara is usually safe, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink