Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 02:14 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Coming from a plain meat and potato family, I thought barbecue potato chips were exotic and spicy as a kid the first time I tasted them at a friend’s house.

I use crushed red pepper flakes a lot for sprinkling on foods or in cooking. I dry my own red Thai peppers and they are even hotter and better. If there is a choice, I order hot at restaurants. I was at a restaurant where a shrimp Diablo dish was labeled a 10 in hotness with a policy of not returning it to the kitchen if it was too hot. The waiter asked me more than once if I was sure I wanted it at the 10 level. I did and it wasn’t that hot, almost disappointing after the huge build up.

I have had a habanero salsa so hot that it was painful and I realized I wasn’t enjoying it at all and stopped, so I do have a limit. My dear MIL does not do spicy, even black pepper can be too much for her, so it’s back to the plain food of my childhood when she visits. That makes me appreciate the heat and spice even more afterwards.
That is funny! I'm not actually a fan of plain crushed red peppers. They have to be ground if that's all I'm using. I don't find habanero too hot. My ex thought it was one of the hottest peppers out there. I always wondered why it affected us differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Dijon mustard has a unique quality, I think. It adds a a great boost of flavor to many recipes, while, by itself, it tastes like poison to me.
I think dijon has a funny taste. I don't like it but I do like spicy brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I'm just happy with hot sauce. Lol
I have enough heartburn problems.
That's rough. I had that one time when I ate greasy onion rings. It was all down my throat and it was horrible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 02:20 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
If I go out for breakfast I always take a small bottle of Crystal or Chalula just in case the restaurant doesn't stock hot sauce.
Not only for eggs but also grits or gravy.
Looks like a few of us here do that too!

Has anyone ever tried cumin in hot chocolate or as a replacement for cinnamon? I first did it by accident but found out I really like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink