U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:39 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times

Advertisements

I just read in our local paper, China is buying Smithfield meat company. I am not one to really get all worked up over regulations and even working conditions. I feel, like some have said, maybe what we don't know won't hurt us and if we did know, we probably wouldn't eat anything. But, being a huge pork lover I am just hoping this doesn't affect the quality of our pork. What do the rest of you think?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,173,379 times
Well the deal still needs to be approved by the US government so it's not a done deal yet.

Depends on where the company sources its pork. Again as I read it, its because China wants US pork to feed their expanding middle class not flood our shores with their pork.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM

846 posts, read 911,233 times
I think they're doing that not so much as to gain access to US market but to gain credibility as a safe pork producer by using a US brand in its own domestic market. Lots of people aren't into "buying local" over there.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM

18,102 posts, read 20,079,391 times
No matter what their reason is the bottom line is another American company is sold to a foreign country. This is what alarms and upsets me.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,669,310 times
Home gardening is taking off like a rocket in the PRC because the people do not trust their food suppliers. (Too bad Americans refuse to care about food production.) While American food is relatively safe to eat, it is often stupidly unhealthy. I say "stupidly unhealthy" because it is easier to make a healthy product. Companies don't for marketing reasons.

I could not care less what happens to Smithfield. I am against their operation as it is, and I will not eat their products. I have a feeling this will help our trade imbalance to a microscopic degree. China will continue to send us useless plastic crap. And in return we'll send them pigs that were raised, killed, and processed in an environment best described as "industrial squallor."

It costs about the same to find a ranch or family farm and do business with someone who can look you in the eye. Less convenient. But similar cost.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well the deal still needs to be approved by the US government so it's not a done deal yet.

Depends on where the company sources its pork. Again as I read it, its because China wants US pork to feed their expanding middle class not flood our shores with their pork.
Yep, I read that part as well. Yes, it does sound like it is their wanting access to our supply and not visa versa, but like Jaxson, I just don't like to see this and I still worry. I really have nothing against China except for their politics and their slave labor (I guess that is enough) I just prefer for our companies to stay here, not be bought out by other countries. But that is for another time and another thread.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Home gardening is taking off like a rocket in the PRC because the people do not trust their food suppliers. (Too bad Americans refuse to care about food production.) While American food is relatively safe to eat, it is often stupidly unhealthy. I say "stupidly unhealthy" because it is easier to make a healthy product. Companies don't for marketing reasons.

I could not care less what happens to Smithfield. I am against their operation as it is, and I will not eat their products. I have a feeling this will help our trade imbalance to a microscopic degree. China will continue to send us useless plastic crap. And in return we'll send them pigs that were raised, killed, and processed in an environment best described as "industrial squallor."

It costs about the same to find a ranch or family farm and do business with someone who can look you in the eye. Less convenient. But similar cost.
wow, I guess I know how you feel, I guess we all do. As for about the same price, yes, this is true and many of us do under certain circumstances but for others this isn't something that can be done easily. When you live in a large metro area, you are a working family (both mom and dad) time is of the essense essence. As for large companies not producing healthy foods for marketing purposes, what does that have to do with anything?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,669,310 times
I live in Las Vegas. This is a "large urban area" that isn't exactly known for it's agricultural diversity. We buy all our beef from a ranch in Utah. We have chickens for both eggs and meat. We belong to food co-ops and grow much of our own fruits and vegetables.

ANYONE can do this. Why don't they? I think the answer boils down to "sloth."

Pork is one of the more difficult products to source responsibly. The industry is DOMINATED by companies like Hormel and Smithfield. And their practices would turn the stomach of anyone who dares investigate. Luckily, we have a pig farm right here in Las Vegas -- right in the middle of town, in fact.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM

18,102 posts, read 20,079,391 times
Quote:
China is the most populated country on earth I believe they don't have the land resources for agriculture and livestock is my understanding.

Good for you growing your own and buying from local farmers.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:23 PM

6,232 posts, read 7,421,045 times
Quote:
I live in Las Vegas. This is a "large urban area" that isn't exactly known for it's agricultural diversity. We buy all our beef from a ranch in Utah. We have chickens for both eggs and meat. We belong to food co-ops and grow much of our own fruits and vegetables.

Pork is one of the more difficult products to source responsibly. The industry is DOMINATED by companies like Hormel and Smithfield. And their practices would turn the stomach of anyone who dares investigate. Luckily, we have a pig farm right here in Las Vegas -- right in the middle of town, in fact.
No, scoop, ANYONE can't do this. Those of us who live in cities and towns with zoning laws would not be able to keep chickens in the back yard. Apartment dwellers can't farm on the balcony beyond a planter of tomatoes. We can try to buy our food from responsible providers. Even better, we can become activists to insist that providers BE responsible.

I salute you for your efforts and fondly remember when my children were young and we lived in the country. We had chickens and the damned things would manage to escape from the pen about once a week and we all had to have a Poultry Round-up. It's funny now.

As for pork, it happens to be near and dear to my heart. Literally. I have a pig valve in my aorta. If the Chinese are going to be raising swine, I certainly hope that it will be done responsibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink