Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I have tasted sweet breakfast sausage in hotel and restaurant breakfasts. It is yucky. I only buy Jimmy Dean Original, because that is what we think sausage should taste like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
We don't like sweet breakfast sausage, either. If we buy sausage, it's Jimmy Dean, but I've taken to making my own. No sugar in mine!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:37 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A lot of sausage is being flavored with maple syrup. I am not quite sure why.
I don't eat meat but I like the Morningstar "Sausage" Patties because they're spiced the way I like. Once I accidentally picked up the maple-flavored version, and ick. Too sweet. I guess some people have had maple syrup from their pancakes migrate across the plate over to their sausage and liked the combination, but it doesn't work for me, personally.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I HATE sweetened meat of any kind......do not put F***ing sugar in meat IDIOTS!!!!!!

Now the dimbulbs are putting more and more sugar and corn syrup in salami and other types of prepared meats.............WTF are they thinking????????????

Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I HATE sweetened meat of any kind......do not put F***ing sugar in meat IDIOTS!!!!!!

Now the dimbulbs are putting more and more sugar and corn syrup in salami and other types of prepared meats.............WTF are they thinking????????????
Wow, so no teriyaki for you? No sweet and sour chicken, no honey walnut shrimp, no orange sesame beef? No Kalua pork, no Hawaiian food in general? Don't blame ya - I can't take my mom to the local Hawaiian restaurant because she's also grossed out by meat with sweetness. I don't mind it, I actually love fruited meat entree dishes.

Farmer John or Jimmy Dean for us - avoid the maple flavored product if you're trying to avoid sweetness in your breakfast sausage. We also prefer the traditional style sausage. One of the major brands has a sage breakfast sausage in a log which we've tried and enjoyed.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:03 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Wow, so no teriyaki for you? No sweet and sour chicken, no honey walnut shrimp, no orange sesame beef? No Kalua pork, no Hawaiian food in general? Don't blame ya - I can't take my mom to the local Hawaiian restaurant because she's also grossed out by meat with sweetness. I don't mind it, I actually love fruited meat entree dishes.

Farmer John or Jimmy Dean for us - avoid the maple flavored product if you're trying to avoid sweetness in your breakfast sausage. We also prefer the traditional style sausage. One of the major brands has a sage breakfast sausage in a log which we've tried and enjoyed.

Fruit with meat.....WTF????????? Fruit on pizza........WTF??????????

Like I said, the combo of sweetness with meat just does not work for me.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:09 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
jimmy dean sausage has been around for a longgg time- they are good!

also have to keep something in perspective, price is a huge factor - the great value sausage i'm sure was cheaper than jimmy dean. so the quality isnt going to be the same

we may be persnickety foodies on here-a foodie forum, but the general mass of shoppers look at price- and if walmart/sams club got the cheapest supplier of sausage patties to place under there great value description- and it is sweeter than most...i still bet that outsells most other sausages at there stores..because its probly cheaper..

now if you want a good sausage pattie,,,you can make it yourself, or go to a local butcher shop that makes there own sausage right there-they dont add all the chemicals you see in other sausages...(its just ground pork and sausage spices)
ask for fresh made bulk sausage ,,and form them into your own patties,,much like you would a burger patty

not hard to figure why things are getting sweeter-even sausage (which i agree shouldnt be overly sweet)
the companies will do a blind taste survey in one or many of the stores,,,,and go with customer preferences-
many companies compete for walmart "private label" of great value- walmart sells more groceries than anyone else in the u.s. kroger use to- but walmart surpassed them years ago,,again on price..

Old 06-01-2013, 04:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
First mistake: walking into a Wal-Mart willingly

Second mistake: not reading the label -- always be on the lookout for added sugar, corn syrup, and the DOZENS of "impossible to use at scrabble" chemicals that mean artificial sweeteners.

Third mistake: not googling a local butcher or sausage company

I make my own sausage. It is VERY, VERY easy. How easy? Cook a hot dog in a microwave for 30 seconds. THAT easy. Do you know EXACTLY what's in your sausage? Do you know what kind of casing it has? How much salt and preservatives does it contain? No? Make your own.

Sausage making is one of the no-brainer culinary tasks. Quality is FAR superior. Price is FAR lower. Health issues are mitigated. And the start-up costs are fairly low. (Assuming people have a food processor and a Kitchenaid already.)

Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
No.

New York Style Sausage Company "Often Imitated, Never Equaled"

Old 06-01-2013, 09:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Hot and spicy from the likes of Jimmy Dean (RIP) are savory not sweet. I imagine the maple flavored stuff is sweet from everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink