U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times

Advertisements

To eat heathy today it takes some real planning.........

No need to eat like a caveman — just eat your damn veggies! | Grist

Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM

34,533 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Let's just imagine there are no grocery stores. The only meat we would ever eat would be the occasional hapless squirrel, probably. We would mostly forage for berries and nuts. We would most likely be a lot thinner and healthier.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:19 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,618,890 times
It's hard for a lot of people to understand, but the healthiest, most nutritious food is not necessarily the best tasting or best looking.

As far as foraging, we'd eat a lot more tubers and roots and insects.

And we wouldn't eat a lot. Some days we wouldn't eat at all, depending on our luck at hunting or gathering. And that's why our bodies developed the ability to pack away anything extra whenever possible. We're obese now because we eat all the time, and never go hungry.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
I enjoy my veggies,,,but i LOVE my rib-eyes, pork ribs, chicken, burgers and hot dogs,,

Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let's just imagine there are no grocery stores. The only meat we would ever eat would be the occasional hapless squirrel, probably. We would mostly forage for berries and nuts. We would most likely be a lot thinner and healthier.
thats why i like being in maine-although the growing season is short,,there's alot of good tasting animals

if the shyt hit the fan,,,,,and the economy went to hell,,,trucks werent delivering for a while-i would survive , I would eat whatever animals i could harvest- for the family, and for my older neighbors..

on one reality show- this group was dropped off in the tundra up in alaska,,,guys and girls,,,they had guns,,, and ammo,,,they needed to sustain themselves for two weeks,,,,
it was interesting hearing the members in this group,,most said "they have never really been hungry" and not knowing if you will eat tomorrow..
anyways,,,,these women were impressive,,they did great,,,,they shot birds, dressed them out,,and cooked them,, one lady said "i use to be very squeamish,,meat was icky" now, being truly hungry,,,this is survival-no more ick factor,,,
they picked whatever berries they could,,,but the woman kept saying "we need meat"

Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM

6,940 posts, read 8,875,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I enjoy my veggies,,,but i LOVE my rib-eyes, pork ribs, chicken, burgers and hot dogs,,

We all crave the things that are harder to obtain in nature. Animals are hard to kill (or compete with hyenas for) and vegetables are easy to sneak up on. We also go crazy for things available for only a short time each year, like fresh raspberries.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:43 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

UMMM..........berries and nuts, that is the way it worked before man started wolfing down animals and EVOLVED.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,400,121 times
We didn't "evolve" to eat meat or our dentition would reflect this. If you compare our teeth to those of carnivores like cats and those of herbivores like horses, our teeth are of the herbivorous variety. Until we could cook flesh, I doubt we ate much. Most of our close primate relatives are plant-eaters.

Regardless, my objection to the so-called Paleo Diet is that people who follow it aren't really eating one. Go hunt yourself lean wild animals, which takes a lot of calories and provides very little fat and no hormones and antibiotics, then you'll be eating a "Paleo" diet. I doubt you'd be eating meat every day, either. Otherwise you're just consuming a standard American diet low on carbs - which is the fuel your body actually runs on (rather than nutrients) - obtained with virtually no exertion at the grocery store in plastic-wrapped trays, that's heavy on expensive protein that your body excretes once you hit your required 45-50 grams a day. The amount of excess protein Americans consume is ridiculous. You're peeing most of it away.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:32 AM

yet, another thread on here , taking a jab at eating meats...

Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
They cannot help themselves. It's basically a religion/cult.

Never once have I heard a vegan explain away the hundreds of millions of small animals killed during the harvesting of fruits and vegetables in this country alone. I don't know anyone who lives EXCLUSIVELY on food he or she raises in a completely humane and organic way. (There are probably a few out there. And good on them.) But the rest have just as much blood on their hands as everyone else and are awfully sanctimonious about their completely-unjustified superiority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink