U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM

65 posts, read 247,247 times

Advertisements

Is there any taste difference in distilled white vinegar and regular white vinegar ?

I'm thinking about trying my hand making mayo and was wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 12:11 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 6,789,867 times
I thought mayo used lemon juice. Not vinegar.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM

This is what I was going to try;

mustard powder, salt, white vinegar, eggs and oil.

and I have some distilled white vinegar and just wondered.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
I have never used vinegar in Mayo but I would have thought you want something which is as flavourless as possible. I think a lot of store bought mayos do use distilled vinegars so it must be fine.

I have always used Dijon mustard (or flavoured mustards depending on the kind of mayo I make) so let me know how it works with powder. Mine is basically oil ( usually sunflower) , Dijon, raw egg yolks, a pinch of salt and that's it. I do add herbs or other flavourings on occasion but I find the simplest if often the nicest. Are you using the vinegar as a preservative ? I only make enough for what I need so I never keep home made mayo.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM

No (vinegar as a preservative) !!

I really don't have a recipe yet as I was going to start experimenting.

Want to share your recipe ?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 PM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
I'm afraid my recipe is not going to be very helpful as I play it by "ear" and have never used a recipe ( I'm French and I think most French people also do it the same from experience).

I put a teaspoon from one to two teaspoons of Dijon mustard in a bowl, add the raw egg yolk ( or yolks if the eggs are small), give it a light beating with a fork, and then gently start to introduce the oil a few drops at a time with a hand whisk until it starts to emulsify and becomes glossy and of the right consistency. I add a pinch a salt towards the end and finish beating it. I have never used an electric whisk so no idea how that would alter things.

Sometimes I add a drop or two of lemon juice and lemon zest, herbs or garlic ( for aioli) or something like sundried tomato paste, or even use flavoured mustards if I want to add a little extra "je ne sais quoi" and that's pretty much it.

Perfect with some good Ciabatta or as an accompaniment for fresh crab, lobster, langoustines, etc... poached salmon or even cold meats.

I have to say I love Mayo .

Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Nice..... Thanks.

I also love Mayo :-)

Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 PM

9,185 posts, read 10,131,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I'm afraid my recipe is not going to be very helpful as I play it by "ear" and have never used a recipe ( I'm French and I think most French people also do it the same from experience).

I put a teaspoon from one to two teaspoons of Dijon mustard in a bowl, add the raw egg yolk ( or yolks if the eggs are small), give it a light beating with a fork, and then gently start to introduce the oil a few drops at a time with a hand whisk until it starts to emulsify and becomes glossy and of the right consistency. I add a pinch a salt towards the end and finish beating it. I have never used an electric whisk so no idea how that would alter things.

Sometimes I add a drop or two of lemon juice and lemon zest, herbs or garlic ( for aioli) or something like sundried tomato paste, or even use flavoured mustards if I want to add a little extra "je ne sais quoi" and that's pretty much it.

Perfect with some good Ciabatta or as an accompaniment for fresh crab, lobster, langoustines, etc... poached salmon or even cold meats.

I have to say I love Mayo .
I play it by ear as well. I would never use vinegar. We should use fresh mayo within a short time and not try to keep it.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,618,890 times
Distilled vinegar and white vinegar are the same thing. It is produced by the vinegar fermentation of alcohol to produce acetic acid.

Besides being a pickling agent and preservative, and an anti-mold agent in some baked goods, it is also used to give a bit of tang to certain foods, where its fairly neutral taste won't overpower other flavors.

It is also used in mayonnaise recipes to acidify the oil and egg and water mixture to aid in emulsifying the liquid into a gel and giving it a tangy taste. A typical commercial mayonnaise recipe in the US includes white vinegar as 11% of its volume. Japanese mayos use cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar instead of white vinegar, giving them a distinctly different taste.

Some cooks, some recipes substitute lemon juice for vinegar, and a few omit it completely, but without the acid component the mayo is more likely to break.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,646,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councillor View Post
Is there any taste difference in distilled white vinegar and regular white vinegar ?

I'm thinking about trying my hand making mayo and was wondering.
White vinegar is very strong. Use it sparingly. Personally I would something a little less harsh, like sherry vinegar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink