Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

love the smell of burger coming thru the grinder...

while we are on the subject of smells, and seeing how stores get slammed pretty hard for different practices..
I can tell you right now- the beef pork and chicken that are cut up in stores ,,,are ten times more sanitary than it was 30 yrs ago-
years ago, very few stores or butcher shops had any haccp program (sanitation procedures) they all do now..

the worst conditions I've ever seen was from local farmers,,,someone would order a half critter, many(farmers) would call me to help them cut it up-they wanted to do it in their barn- I refused to do many because it wasn't sanitary,,,
but the farmers that don't take the cows to professionals and cut it up themselves-beware..not only do many hack them up, but if they cut them up in a barn...not smart e-coli is everywhere.

I've been to huge packing plants out west,,,some of the largest in the country,,and the sanitation was excellent- inspectors every 4 feet on all the lines, the animals were stunned-killed humanely

not all packing plants are like this-

at a local slaughterhouse I worked,,,they pushed the grass fed beef,,,they would shoot the critters- tough to watch

if stores had the same sanitation practices today as they did 30 yrs ago,,the state inspectors would shut them down..
it's to the stores benefit to be as clean as possible..
I also worked at restaurants,,, could tell some horror stories,,,but again, its in their best interest to have a clean facility with a haccp program in place.

anyone buying butchered beef, pork or chickens "locally" go see for yourself where it is processed, (if you've never seen it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Maine -

In the Midwest, all of a sudden, everything is Amish produced. I don't really understand how someone's religion affects the meat that they produce but, oh well, it is another classic marketing ploy.

I have been on some of the Amish operations as we used to sell a lot of bull calves and a lot of hay. Some of them do an OK job and I would buy their product. On a number of them, I wouldn't touch their product with a 10 foot pole. Some run a pretty sanitary product and get it under refrigeration quickly, others do not.

=========================

I have been in a lot of slaughterhouses and meat packing houses. Fortunately, none of them resemble anything that I have seen on You Tube or any other website.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Maine -

In the Midwest, all of a sudden, everything is Amish produced. I don't really understand how someone's religion affects the meat that they produce but, oh well, it is another classic marketing ploy.

I have been on some of the Amish operations as we used to sell a lot of bull calves and a lot of hay. Some of them do an OK job and I would buy their product. On a number of them, I wouldn't touch their product with a 10 foot pole. Some run a pretty sanitary product and get it under refrigeration quickly, others do not.

=========================

I have been in a lot of slaughterhouses and meat packing houses. Fortunately, none of them resemble anything that I have seen on You Tube or any other website.

I agree

I get a little defensive at some topics, because I get the questions from the public, and when the media hypes all it can to bash all things meat,,,it does affect the business...
pink slime is a good example
if what you heard on tv was true- pink slime is/was in all the burger-no matter who sold it
which is not true at all- most of the stores I buy from.... use 100% beef trimmings..... from primals,,
they made no distinction that walmart-and many chain stores sold it ,,,and many stores did not

so the stores that never had the pink slime in the first place-suffered right along with the stores that had it since 1974
because of misleading , hyped up info,
and it seems everyone wants to shyt on the meat business

that's interesting about the Amish-

Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
If the fowl has a Foul odor....take it back; and call foul on the fowl that they sold.

Very fresh chicken can/will have a "chicken" odor if you know what that is...otherwise
Foul...

HW

Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Chicken should not have a bad odor. Do not eat it if it does. Not worth the chance of getting sick.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 AM

chicken will have a rotten egg smell if its spoiled,,,,, when in doubt, throw it out

Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM

109 posts, read 155,476 times
I know chicken has smell cooked or not cooked. Smells like a real chick. I had this grilled chicken and ate it with my hands and the smell lingers there. Even after washing the hands, it won't go off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink