Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
When I was a kid I spent the night at my grandfathers house one night, well the next morning he allowed me to drink some coffee with him (he was easily persuaded), and when I got to school I got diarrhea and pooped in my pants.

The teacher was partly to blame too because she made me wait to go to the bathroom, but no, it's probably not a good idea.
Funny, you made me recall two similar stories. Re: Coffee I used to love the smell of grinding up the coffee beans for my dad as a little kid, but never drank it until one Sunday I asked to try it. My dad in his typical fashion said, go ahead, knock yourself out. Well, it was so distasteful to my palette and youthful taste buds I never drank it again and do not drink coffee to this day. All I recall is taste of muddy pungent water. Ironically, I love the smell of roasted coffee beans as it is pleasant and conjures up those fond memories of cranking the coffee grinder for my dad's Sunday coffee brew.

Separate story, In 1st grade, I had a teacher who refused to let me go to bathroom after repeatedly asking. Well, nature called and a snickers bar was delivered. Haha, While I did feel embarrassed, I was more angry at the teacher for not letting me go. I felt stupid cause then I had to then go to restroom and the teacher called my mother to get me. So I got to go home with the back story of I was sick. I laugh about this now but at the time I was so angry at that teacher. I think she learned her lesson that day, regarding when a child asks to use the restroom - let him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
In my opinion kids have different dietary needs then an adult and at this time in their life it also sets the stage to make healthy choices. I have always and still do believe in moderation so if it was a once an awhile drink I would think it was ok just like diet soda but on everyday basis I would rather them drink and eat more balanced.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Adding: children don't normally like the taste of black coffee. Bitter flavors appeal more to adults than to children.

If you want to give your child a warm sugary drink, heat up a cup of milk and add a small spoon of sugar and a drop of vanilla.
That's what my Momma used to do. She would ask if I wanted " coffee-milk", then put some milk, coffee, and sugar in a coffee cup for me. Thought I was really something drinking coffee with the grown-ups!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Of course I've considered it,but she won't acknowledge anything like that
It sounds as though you are in a difficult situation. If you, personally, can't do anything about his behavior, and his mother won't do anything, then probably making sure you get a break from the chaos on a regular basis might be your best strategy.

I understand what ADD is like. One of mine had that but thankfully not ADHD. I can't imagine having to deal with hyperactivity on a daily basis.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Is there a minimum age kids could be given coffee?...Maybe I grew up in a strict house,but coffee was considered an 'adult' beverage and young kids didn't really drink it then. Nowadays of course everything is infused with caffeine and kids are jacked up all over the place...but do you think there is an early limit in general?...
To spare your kids yea hassle over their whole lives, you should never give them anything with caffeine in it. It leads to everything from a lifelong dependency issue starting almost immediately, to encouraging migraines in their teens and all manner of digestive problems as adults to old age when it starts seriously thinning their bones.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
To spare your kids yea hassle over their whole lives, you should never give them anything with caffeine in it. It leads to everything from a lifelong dependency issue starting almost immediately, to encouraging migraines in their teens and all manner of digestive problems as adults to old age when it starts seriously thinning their bones.
I have had coffee and tea nearly every day of my life and I do not think that I have ever had a headache - EXCEPT for when I have a change in my glasses.

Different people have a lot different reactions.

We were always told that coffee at a young age stunted growth. Unfortunately, I did not find that to be the case.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The most important thing is to squeeze everything enjoyable out of childhood, whether it's sneaking some coffee, having a candy bar or drinking a Pepsi. Those little snot knockers need to learn that fun isn't for them. Make sure to give them toothbrushes at Halloween, too.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The most important thing is to squeeze everything enjoyable out of childhood, whether it's sneaking some coffee, having a candy bar or drinking a Pepsi. Those little snot knockers need to learn that fun isn't for them. Make sure to give them toothbrushes at Halloween, too.
Haha! My soon to be 10yo loves coffee. She's trying to talk me into letting her have some once a week. I'm considering it but haven't given her a yes or no yet. I started drinking it in high school.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
I grew up drinking a lot of tea--not coffee--really strong tea with sugar and cream. I remember I started drinking tea when I was as young as 5 years old. My mom would make tea in the morning and refrigerate the rest to serve cold. I would drink a cup basically everyday after school. I am one of the tallest of my generation, so tea definitely didn't stunt my growth.

For some reason, unlike my mom, I don't have a strong dependency on tea and coffee. I drink tea and coffee out of enjoyment, but I don't get that headache and drowsiness my mom would get if I missed a cup.

I can also fall asleep fine after drinking, almost as if tea and coffee don't have any effects on me anymore since I have drunk them all my life.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:04 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a difference between sneaking some things and developing habits that will be damaging in the future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink