Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Bacon-wrapped items impaled with a toothpick are always popular. Wrapped around oysters they're called Angels on Horseback; around dried fruit Devils on Horseback; around chicken livers I don't know the name but it's a long time favorite.

Additionally, these are easy for people to eat without greasy fingers.

Devils on horseback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Angels on horseback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bacon around chicken livers, usually with a water chestnut are called Rumaki. Haven't had them in years, and in fact, it's the only one of these things that I've ever had. They were very popular in the 1960's on Long Island, NY along with chopped chicken liver with Ritz crackers, as I recall from my long ago childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This crew tends to factor food into everything - one of the reasons I like it. They start at 1PM. So yes, they do go heavier on the food, probably replacing lunch for many.

Sweet potato biscuits? I've never heard of them - but now that I'm living in North Carolina, it' seems like something I should try. Recipe, please?
Ok, sure.

Sugar Crusted Sweet Potato Biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
4 T. brown sugar
3 T. unsalted butter
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup cooked mashed sweet potato
1/3 cup sour cream

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and 2T brown sugar. Cut in butter.
Combine wet ingredients, milk, potato and sour cream. Add all at once to the dry ingredients. Mix just until blended.
Drop in desired size onto baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining 2T of brown sugar. Bake 12 mins or until lightly browned.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I am a sucker for jicama. Great to dip in hummus, or when squeezed with some lime.

I like to make dips with greek yogurt, lemon or lime, onion, garlic, spices, and maybe a roasted pepper. Very tasty and healthy too.

Meatballs are always a winner.

Ever tried roasted chickpeas?

Great snack!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am a sucker for jicama. Great to dip in hummus, or when squeezed with some lime.

I like to make dips with greek yogurt, lemon or lime, onion, garlic, spices, and maybe a roasted pepper. Very tasty and healthy too.

Meatballs are always a winner.

Ever tried roasted chickpeas?

Great snack!
im with jade,,meatballs are always a winner..

you can make them out of ground chicken/turkey or sausage..

Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Bacon-wrapped items impaled with a toothpick are always popular. Wrapped around oysters they're called Angels on Horseback; around dried fruit Devils on Horseback; around chicken livers I don't know the name but it's a long time favorite.

Additionally, these are easy for people to eat without greasy fingers.

Devils on horseback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Angels on horseback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Never heard it called that way, but they are delicious. I refer to bacon wrapped dates as bacon candy.

OP: I think a good fruit plate would round out your offerings.

I once had pimento cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes at a reception and thought they were fantastic. Seemed simple to make.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:33 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
It was a rather hot day, so here's what I ended up serving:

Home marinated baby mozzarella balls thread on a toothpick with a grape tomato (yellow or red - I had both) and a basil leaf. Lots of parsley decorating the white plate - looked awesome.

Crostini rubbed with garlic and topped with goat cheese and home roasted red pepper and a bit of parsley.

Prosciutto that was slathered with a little goat cheese, then a thin layer of fig jam, then some arugula that had been lightly coated with black truffle oil. The whole thing was rolled up and cut in half to one single bite size piece.

Homemade guacamole and chips

Good kalamata black olives

Homemade Chicken salad (made from Costco Rotisserie chicken) with red grapes and walnuts. Torta roll for those that wanted a sandwich.

Fruit salad (purchased made at Costco)

Dark chocolate covered pretzels from Trader Joe's (if you haven't had these things, get 'em. They are wonderful!)

I thought I'd have enough leftovers for dinner, but every thing is gone, except a little chicken salad, some torta rolls, a bit of fruit salad and a few pretzels.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I'm way more used to cocktail parties and dinner parties than these afternoon things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink