Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,183,697 times

Advertisements

I have some organic chicken legs (withought the thigh) that I want to throw in the slow cooker and don't have a large selection of ingredients on hand (or the time to get them).

Could I just throw them in with a can of fire roasted tomatoes, onion, carrots, snap peas (?) and a can of beans (I have 4 varieties) and some spices? Wine?

Is there anything else I'd need? Does anything have to be browned first?

Temp and time?

Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,075,430 times
Personally I would make Salsa Chicken in the crock pot.....you can use your fire roasted tomatoes in place of salsa (probably need about 1-2 cups) but add a can of tomato sauce if you only have one can of fire roasted or add some salsa if you have it.....chop your onion, use a can of corn instead of carrots and snap peas....and add black beans if you have them, but any type of bean like red beans, kidney beans or chili beans would work. Add a teaspoon of cumin and salt and pepper and if you have dried chives or dried parsley add them....cilantro would be wonderful but not necessary. But I think you should definitely leave out the carrots and snap peas if making this.

Cook about 6 hours on low and taste it so you can adjust salt and pepper seasonings....pull out the chicken legs when done and strip the meat off and put it back in for about half hour. You don't have to brown anything first.

If you have any flour or corn tortillas, eat those with it or just a piece of bread....or even hard taco shells would be great.

Hope it turns out for you.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:26 PM

Thanks, I have cilantro and cumin so I added those, and I also added a small can of green chilies, hope that will be ok.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:45 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,736,239 times
The skin is going to get rubbery no matter what you do and will add unneccessary grease/fat into your sauce. I would discard the skin before cooking and just shred after whatever recipe you use.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,098,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks, I have cilantro and cumin so I added those, and I also added a small can of green chilies, hope that will be ok.
I think that sounds really good!
I do 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 on low but I guess that depends on the crock pot.
I leave the skin on because I like the extra fat for taste but momtothree is right, it's not particularly edible unless you like soft, mushy chicken skin.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I think that sounds really good!
I do 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 on low but I guess that depends on the crock pot.
I leave the skin on because I like the extra fat for taste but momtothree is right, it's not particularly edible unless you like soft, mushy chicken skin.
Thanks, I LOVE green chillies! I had already put the chicken in with skin by the time momofthree's post came through so I'll pull the skin off and shred the chicken when it's done. I hope 6 hours is enough - I did the first hour on high to get it rolling.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM

This turned out great, I'm impressed - wish I had tortillas. I had to have it with brown rice as I've been on deadline writing all day. I'm going to start using the slow cooker more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink