U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times

Advertisements

I have been on a hunt for a couple of things:
the perfect stainless water bottle
the perfect leakproof travel coffee mug

I decided to retire all of the plastics (or most) in terms of my drinking containers. For a couple of reasons, BPA fears and trapping smells. So I retired my Sigg bottle. And I got a glass bottle that I use at home and the gym. It works fine but if I am out I am worried about dropping it and cracking it.

I also didn't have a good option to use for coffee/tea. I grabbed a ceramic mug that is great for the car, but heavy to use when I commute on the train. And well....it would leak if I put it back in my bag.

I have purchased so many stainless thermoses and other travel coffee things, and there is one fatal flaw. You need to preheat it if you expect the temperature to hold. So after 10 years of trying, I was still looking.

When I was out the other week, I impulse bought yet another stainless bottle. This one was insulated. And I wanted something a little smaller to carry during a trip, where I knew I'd be walking all day. (Those 20oz bottles get heavy).

I picked up this one:
Klean Kanteen Insulated: Stainless Steel Insulated Bottle and Mug

I have seen this brand around, but felt like it was a little expensive. I hadn't seen the insulated ones either.

So I have had this bottle about 2 weeks, and I finally found a winner for both cold and hot options. No preheating or chilling needed.

So far, I have done the following "tests:"
1. tea, brewed from near boiling in the bottle: too hot to drink 3 hours later (eventually I finished it, by adding some cold water and leaving the bottle open)
2. latte, straight from the coffeeshop (Left closed for about 90 minutes, and then comsumed over the next 30-40 minutes.): a little too hot, till I left the bottle open for a little while, stayed hot while drinking
3. iced tea, brewed in the cup and I added ice cubes to chill the hot water: left the bottle at room temp for about 4 hours before I started drinking it. The bottle was still full of ice. Finished off the tea about 5 hours after I placed it in the bottle. 8 hours after I filled the bottle, I still had ice cubes in the bottle that hadn't melted. (Eventually, about 9-10 hours later, they melted when I added more cold water and left it open while I was drinking.)*

I did not have extreme temps, but in another experiment with water, I did leave it in my hot car for about 2 hours, and when I came back to drink my water (straight from fridge) was still nice and cool!

I thought the claims were lying, but they are more than accurate enough for mean in terms of holding temp. Best news? The bottle stays cool to the touch, not hot or cold depending on the temp of your drink. And it is pretty much leak proof, but there is a bit of condensation on the lid when the drinks are really cold. But it was fine to slosh around in my purse with no big issues.

Literally the best bottle ever. I wish I would have bought one a few years ago!

Check it out if you are in the market. Perfect for hot and cold drinks, and since it is stainless, no worry about trapping smells. The other thing I like is that there is no complicated sipping mechanism (where I worry that you may not be able to get it sufficiently clean after lots of uses.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink