Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times

Advertisements

All of a sudden all I hear is "chicken & waffles" and I'm confused.

Are the chicken and waffles supposed to be eaten together.. as in a bit of each in the same bite? Is there still butter and syrup involved? If they are eaten separately then I don't get how they are 'good together' any more than any other two random things I find in my fridge or might decide to make. I mean, what's the difference between chicken and waffles vs chicken and pancakes, steak and grits, potato and fish sticks..?

I am just not understanding something here. I like chicken, and I like waffles.. but if it's just a matter of getting both on a plate together then why so popular? I could maybe see the appeal of, say, fried chicken *strips*, no bone, folded up in a waffle but everytime I see this offered or read about it, the chicken is bone-in (fried)... obviously you cannot make some sort of waffle sandwich that way. I've even heard people refer to the dish as "chi-waffle" which would imply some sort of both-foods-in-one-bite experience, right? Or not?

Someone please enlighten me. I tried a Google search and found this article where even the owner of a restaurant that serves this dish doesn't "get it" either.
"Eventually, Ina and I got around to the waffle. I tried it with the honey, tried it with the syrup. Not bad, but I still didn't see the point, and I could tell that Ina felt the same way. When she picked a piece of waffle up, she had a resigned expression on her face that said Guess I'll eat this, too."

How to eat chicken and waffles - Time Out Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
I know I won't ever be trying it. It sounds crappy to me.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
I'll take either one but separately....

Old 06-18-2013, 02:28 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Chicken and waffles was my favorite dinner (apart from pizza) when I was a kid - I don't think I've had it in about 20 years!

You can eat it however you want. I did not eat the chicken and waffle together in one bite but I did put syrup on both (which isn't that weird when you think about it, it's just like a maple glaze which is often used on meats) and that was my way of combining them. My mom, on the other hand, liked to forego syrup and put chicken gravy on both - she may have ate them together in one bite. It's not that much different from eating chicken in pastry. My mom is always big on soaking gravy or meat juice up with bread or rolls so the waffles kind of served that purpose for her.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Fried chicken and waffles is a combo dinner/breakfast, usually tastes delicious after a night of hard work, or partying, note: you really only "understand" the uniqueness, of crunchy, salty, fried, sweetness, and carb overload, at around 2 am. This combo is guaranteed to make you fall asleep, no matter how keyed up you are.

It is akin to understanding that Taco Bell is a five star restaurant, with gourmet food, almost a Zen like experience, but only after listening to Pink Flyod...and indulging in illegal substances..

Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I'll take either one but separately....
Had both at the same time and just no. I also prefer one or the other please.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Fried chicken and waffles is a combo dinner/breakfast, usually tastes delicious after a night of hard work, or partying, note: you really only "understand" the uniqueness, of crunchy, salty, fried, sweetness, and carb overload, at around 2 am.
Jasper12 hits it on the head. It's not fine dining. It's about food cravings when you have a buzz on. It's about crunchy, greasy sweet and salty food when you've had a lot to drink. If you stay home at night and go to bed early you wouldn't understand.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Funny! I didn't think it was a real combo. I heard it mentioned in one of the Deuce Bigalow movies. Who would have thought? It just doesn't sound good to me but I am not a fan of waffles either.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I do like waffles once in a while and fried chicken or a rarer occasion. I expect all of that unaccustomed oil and batter in my system would tonple me over like some cute but overfed lab mouse.

See it on DDD often. Too much heavy food at one instance. The fattening of America. My wife and I look at each other and do the "gross" look.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I can't understand the combination of fried chicken, and waffles with syrup. To me, that's two separate meals that accidentally ended up on one plate.
When I get chicken and waffles in restaurants in Lancaster County PA, it's more like chicken a la king: Shredded tender white-meat chicken in a creamy chicken gravy, served OVER homemade waffles. No syrup, no butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink