U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,177,356 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid (and even now) we (as in, my family) put crushed up Saltine crackers in our chili. Some like cheese and green onions, or so I have heard. I've tried it, but I didn't grow up with cheese or onions being an offered option, so it's kind of weird to me. But, yeah a bowl of chili is just a bowl of chili, but a bowl of chili with a handful of crushed saltines in it is awesome. And actually, it's not bad with cheese, either.

Same thing for oyster stew. Gotta have crackers (Saltines or oyster crackers) in my oyster stew. Preferably, crushed. Otherwise it's just a thin milk based soup with some oysters, salt and pepper and maybe a bit of other seasoning. It really gives it some body. Makes it a meal.

Maybe it's just me. I actually put crackers in most stews and some soups. My wife has never understood this. This is while she's eating curry... which is a kind of stew.... with rice. (Which is also pretty awesome.) Curry is nice. Curry with rice is more than twice as nice. That starch addition just, I dunno, wakes it up for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,339,600 times
In chili? I put a spoon. My mom likes it with saltines, though. And I do like crackers in soups, but I need to keep an eye on the carbs, especially grain carbs, so I generally don't these days.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,109,636 times
In chili? Fritos

Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 AM

693 posts, read 730,348 times
I put cheese in my chili and let it melt. Then I use saltines instead of a spoon to scoop up the chili and put the whole cracker in my mouth. Oyster stew, I like oyster crackers. But I will use a saltine if I have to. Pea soup requires lots of crushed saltines to make it nice and thick. Actually, I use crackers in all soups that I eat. I also dunk bread or sandwiches in my soup. My ex wife and her whole family thought these practices were gross, although they never tried it.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 AM

30,600 posts, read 55,882,214 times
Chili is served over spaghetti and topped with cheese, onion and beans.

The oyster crackers operate first as an appetizer, while you're waiting for the server to bring your 5-way, and then when you're about halfway through the meal, the oyster crackers are sprinkled onto the bottom of the plate to soak up the leftover liquid.

Yummy ...

Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,008,783 times
I like finely diced onions, touch of sour cream and rooster chilli garlic sauce.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 AM

12,965 posts, read 28,552,681 times
I crush saltines in mine too.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,092,250 times
Hubby uses saltines, me I use cheese and sour cream.......excellent

Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,100,111 times
Sometimes cheese and/or sour cream. Sometimes I'll use Fritos scoops to scoop the chili and then I'll put shredded cheese on top.

I don't ever eat crackers with it or crumble anything into it. No hot sauce because I use a lot of hot peppers like like chiltepin and malagueta when I'm making it, along with some chipotles in adobo.

Green onions are for black bean soup.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM

67,528 posts, read 77,272,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
When I was a kid (and even now) we (as in, my family) put crushed up Saltine crackers in our chili. Some like cheese and green onions, or so I have heard. I've tried it, but I didn't grow up with cheese or onions being an offered option, so it's kind of weird to me. But, yeah a bowl of chili is just a bowl of chili, but a bowl of chili with a handful of crushed saltines in it is awesome. And actually, it's not bad with cheese, either.

Same thing for oyster stew. Gotta have crackers (Saltines or oyster crackers) in my oyster stew. Preferably, crushed. Otherwise it's just a thin milk based soup with some oysters, salt and pepper and maybe a bit of other seasoning. It really gives it some body. Makes it a meal.

Maybe it's just me. I actually put crackers in most stews and some soups. My wife has never understood this. This is while she's eating curry... which is a kind of stew.... with rice. (Which is also pretty awesome.) Curry is nice. Curry with rice is more than twice as nice. That starch addition just, I dunno, wakes it up for me.
We always used crushed crackers of some kind, but I wouldn't think of doing that today. In fact we rarely have saltines in our house. We have other crackers. For us, on top of chili you will find grated cheese and chopped onions. That's it unless we are making chili pie, or Frito pie, whatever you want to call it. Then we put the chilit on top of the Fritos and add the cheese, jalapenos and onions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink