Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
We just did a Hand washing test at work with some type of powder and a black light.
95% failed and this was after a 45 second hand wash including myself..

Scary and I was shocked after the scrubbing there was still powder on my hands..
Look at it this way: for how many years have we been eating this stuff? For how many years have we been washing our hands the same way, before anyone decided to use that black light? We are all still alive, seem to be doing just fine and might even do better without all these dumb tests. No one ever carried sani wipes everywhere, worried about germs on the telephones in hotel rooms, or dirt here and there. We grew up, many of us without even dish washers, we had cloth diapers, we didn't have all kinds of chemicals to use in the shower and toilets, etc. I think way too many people worry about way too many germs today.

I am in the process of writing my life, as I see it, for my granddaughters for Christmas and every time I write a page or two, I realize what life was like 50 or more years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Look at it this way: for how many years have we been eating this stuff? For how many years have we been washing our hands the same way, before anyone decided to use that black light? We are all still alive, seem to be doing just fine and might even do better without all these dumb tests. No one ever carried sani wipes everywhere, worried about germs on the telephones in hotel rooms, or dirt here and there. We grew up, many of us without even dish washers, we had cloth diapers, we didn't have all kinds of chemicals to use in the shower and toilets, etc. I think way too many people worry about way too many germs today.

I am in the process of writing my life, as I see it, for my granddaughters for Christmas and every time I write a page or two, I realize what life was like 50 or more years ago.
^^^ I agree. I just turned 60 and in my whole life I have never once gotten sick from eating something bad. As a child we were not taught to wash our hands and we played outside all day. My mother was not a good housekeeper and I would assume she didn't do the best job in cleaning dishes. I cared for all 3 of my brothers as babies and they all wore cloth diapers. We never washed our fruit or veggies, we just ate them. Now of course I learned long ago to take more care in washing my hands and cleaning things and have taught my children that, but I like to eat out at fast food places and who knows what they do with our food. I think we can all get obsessed with germs. I do get a little paranoid of being near anyone that is sick and take great effort to try to not expose myself to people that can make me ill. We should take precautions, but not live our lives worrying about everything out there.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
^^^ I agree. I just turned 60 and in my whole life I have never once gotten sick from eating something bad. As a child we were not taught to wash our hands and we played outside all day. My mother was not a good housekeeper and I would assume she didn't do the best job in cleaning dishes. I cared for all 3 of my brothers as babies and they all wore cloth diapers. We never washed our fruit or veggies, we just ate them. Now of course I learned long ago to take more care in washing my hands and cleaning things and have taught my children that, but I like to eat out at fast food places and who knows what they do with our food. I think we can all get obsessed with germs. I do get a little paranoid of being near anyone that is sick and take great effort to try to not expose myself to people that can make me ill. We should take precautions, but not live our lives worrying about everything out there.
Like you say: precautions are one thing: paranoia is another and I think too many people, spend too much time worrying about germs, over exposed this, spoiled this, etc.

Here is an example of what we lived with, and like you, I don't think we ever got sick from spoiled food, or maybe we did; maybe those 24 hour bugs were bad food, who knows. I grew up, even before you, we had a decent fridge, bigger than most, but they just didn't make them like they do today. When we had our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, there really wasn't much room in the fridge for all the left overs. We just left the turkey in the oven for a day, until some of the other foods were gone. Then we stuck in in the fridge. Daddy always stuffed the bird the night before cause w had so much to do the morning of our big dinners. Of course we didn't have dish washers, so who knows how cleans our dishes really were. Would I leave the turkey out? Of course not...Would I stuff it the night before? Nope, I might make the stuffing, but I wouldn't actually stuff MR or Mrs bird until the morning. If I walk into a restaurant that really looks filthy, I would never go back. So, playing it safe, we do and yes, we try to stay away from sick people and try to keep ourselves away from others when we have a cold, etc. but we don't like in Worryland and we don't check to make sure everything we eat or buy comes from America, is Organic or whatever.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:

BRAVO. Both for your first paragraph AND for writing the story of your life for your granddaughters. What a marvelous, special, irreplaceable gift.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Here is an example of what we lived with, and like you, I don't think we ever got sick from spoiled food, or maybe we did; maybe those 24 hour bugs were bad food, who knows.
You can pretty much count on it. All those episodes of "stomach flu," diarrhea the next day etc. were most likely food borne illnesses. If you are 60, the odds are you've been sick from food borne illnesses at least 10 times in your life, so count yourself lucky none of those cases got worse.

I don't believe in being paranoid about food. Neither do I believe in being careless.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You can pretty much count on it. All those episodes of "stomach flu," diarrhea the next day etc. were most likely food borne illnesses. If you are 60, the odds are you've been sick from food borne illnesses at least 10 times in your life, so count yourself lucky none of those cases got worse.

I don't believe in being paranoid about food. Neither do I believe in being careless.
could be, who knows, but I am still alive and doing pretty well. BTW, I am way past 60. Remember our parents, at least mine lived without electricity part of their lives, no modern conveniences and crowded into small houses with large families. Both my grandmas lived to be 90: dad 93, and hubby's mom 97. She lived the longest of her 6 brothers and sisters; the youngest died at 86. The family couldn't believe he died so young.

So do I think people have become germaphobics? Yes, do I believe in using some common sense? of course I do.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
BRAVO. Both for your first paragraph AND for writing the story of your life for your granddaughters. What a marvelous, special, irreplaceable gift.
Thanks and now I am back to finishing the chapter from 1943 to 1948 plus I want to start 1948 to 1952. it is fun, I am amazed at how much I remember, but I also am surprised at how much time and work is involved.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:23 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

This is what I've used for years, an Easy-Sprout from Sproutamo. Most health food stores carry them, or you can order them online for about $12-13.

Sproutamo

Amazon.com: Sproutamo - Easy Sprout Sprouter: Home & Kitchen
I bought one of these last year and haven't tried it yet.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I bought one of these last year and haven't tried it yet.
What are you waiting for? This year is already half gone!

It's easy and it's fun and it's nutritious and it takes very lille time. I keep mine by the kitchen sink to remind me to rinse twice a day while they are sprouting. Takes less than a minute each time.

Happy sprouting!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I used to make my own sprouts all the time, and I need to start again. I would buy the seeds from the bulk food section of the grocery store. I would get an open mouth pint size canning jar for each batch. At the health food stores they sell these lids made specifically for sprouting, in graduated size holes. Put a tablespoon of the seeds in the jar, screw on the small sized hole lid, fill with water and let it soak overnight. The next day pour out the water (by the way that water is good and healthy for watering plants) and then lay the jar on its side in your kitchen where you will see it each day. Continue to rinse twice a day and make sure all the excess water is out. Once your sprouts are sprouted and ready get them out of the jar, rinse well and put them in a ziplock bag and use. If you are really into sprouts and use them a lot you can have several jars going at the same time, maybe all with different kind of sprouts. I mostly did alfalfa myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink